Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965417 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: Lictor, P.I.
« Reply #9600 on: October 21, 2017, 05:47:21 pm »

I can't even find very many 40k mods of games that aren't dead as well. I would have expected there'd be one for the SpringRTS engine, but it was dead.

On the other hand, during my search I did discover that I wasn't the only person to have the idea of a Final Fantasy XII mod for Star Wars: Empire at War. That one's dead too.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9601 on: October 21, 2017, 05:49:29 pm »

Men Of War: Assault Squad 2 has nice Wh40k mod. If you want pure tabletop, VASSAL.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9602 on: October 21, 2017, 07:42:39 pm »

We can go even further. Special units in each army like the Death Company for instance would be DLC. You could buy alternate helmets, plastrons, shoulders, all that good DLC...on a pure unit basis. "Astartes Skull Emblem Helmet x20 $4.99."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9603 on: October 21, 2017, 08:08:59 pm »

We can go even further. Special units in each army like the Death Company for instance would be DLC. You could buy alternate helmets, plastrons, shoulders, all that good DLC...on a pure unit basis. "Astartes Skull Emblem Helmet x20 $4.99."
Yeah, I suggested that a while earlier as an alternative to Tabletop, if GW was ever to create official Tabletop game for WH40k, this way they could still get all the money, and it would be even cheaper to make it.
Also, they could even sell stuff like emblems, icons, paints, battlezones, alternative rules, etc. All they need is relatively skilled modellers for all that and then just outsource the basics of the game (animations, menus, etc) to someone else.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9604 on: October 21, 2017, 08:25:04 pm »

At least in the case of Eternal Crusade, which I think is the closest game to "$ per digital armor piece" out there right now, one problem is the GWS approval process. It takes a while because they, at least in this case, have to vet everything that goes in to the game. Unlike a 3 year project where they get to approve most assets and get out of the way, for games actively in development and being sold I think it's a little more restrictive and time consuming to do something like that. Of course offset by potential profit to be made.

Recently the Eternal Crusade devs announced a program where people can make and submit models and textures and stuff, and GWS will look it over either I think for inclusion in Eternal Crusade or over the Steam workshop? Not sure which but I was pretty surprised to hear it, as that's tantamount to GWS - fan interaction. It's the kind of gesture I thought they were beyond making at this point.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9605 on: October 21, 2017, 08:39:16 pm »

The problem with any suggestion of an alternative to tabletop is that GW's business model depends on players needing to continually buy codexes and models to get anything out of their hobby. A virtual tabletop couldn't charge plastic+paints+glues+tools costs per virtual unit -- and make no mistake, GW fully believes that every 40k player exclusively uses Citadel products and would demand a cost for virtual models that compensates for "lost" ancillary revenue -- and if they charge anything that would actually bring new people in, their existing playerbase either keeps playing tabletop or migrates and gives them less money.

They like how much of the industry they currently control. Moving into an industry where they are less dominant scares them, even in their current enlightened post-Tom Kirby incarnation. It's just not something they're ready to do yet, and as long as people keep buying minis they won't be.

Mind, they also need someone to sit down with them and have a long talk about how they use their license, particularly in mobile games, because they're hemorrhaging potential customers with all that shovelware at a time when they really can't afford to do that.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9606 on: October 21, 2017, 09:41:38 pm »

You get those fancy hats in loot based bit boxes.  You get them as you play, but must purchase keys to unlock them and receive your random uniform customization.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9607 on: October 21, 2017, 10:12:32 pm »

Men Of War: Assault Squad 2 has nice Wh40k mod.

It is nicely done. The sound effects are good and the visuals are very nice. Along with the men of war engine for armour penetration and terrain destruction you get things like firing through a building with a lascannon to destroy a chimera.

Here's a video of the second mission the mod comes with. When I played this the town was flattened and I had to throw guardsmen at tracked chimeras to break through.

Issues though are the mod is still in russian (though it's not too difficult to figure out what things are) and Men of War 2  doesn't really lend itself to single player skirmish games without DLC. There are three scripted missions with the mod as well as a number of maps on the Steam Workshop but most of them are just maps where you need to place units yourself.

Still, tearing through huge quantities of traitor guardsmen with a Baal pattern predator tank armed with twin-linked assault cannons is very fun and very noisy.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9608 on: October 21, 2017, 10:27:04 pm »

Men of War 2  doesn't really lend itself to single player skirmish games without DLC.
Editor. That's all I have to say. Editor has always been, and is, the beating heart of Men Of War, because it's so stupidly simple to use and allows you to create any scenario you want.

EDIT: And it has English Translation you apply over the mod.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 10:44:15 pm by Kot »

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9609 on: October 22, 2017, 10:33:35 am »

So I was playing tabletop the other day. My Buddy, he's got this really annoying tyranid force, where one of the worst things is he just gets a 6+ strong unit of hive guard, plops down into an optimal point and just wrecks my guys. Obviously, I can't have that. So, I devise a strategy fitting of a Kunning Ork Warlord such as my self,

*wait till like halfway through the game.*

"Pork, man, my hive guards are KILLING it today."

"Oh, it would be a shame if something... Happened to them"

Suddenly, behind the enemy lines: Snikrot and Five Kommandos

"Dude is this a joke? Y'all gonna die."

He spins his hive guard around, and fires off a bunch of shots. Only 1 connects. Which promptly fails to wound

I then charge with the Kommandos, and hit all but 3 of my attacks. I then proceed to have some of the most brutally good wound rolls ever. All 6 hive guard are wiped out at the loss of 1 Kommando. Keep in mind, they aren't wiped out from routing. They are killed through wounds. Snikrot himself took down 3 of the guards. 

For reference, that's an 8-power unit taking down a 14 power unit, not to mention with only one casualty.

God, I love Snikrot. Right now I'm borrowing an old hive guard model from my friend and cutting off its head, painting it as a skull. Gonna give Snikrot a trophy.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9610 on: October 22, 2017, 11:26:54 am »

S6 A6, Ap -1, D2
I mean first off he has a big choppa now.

Rerolls of 1 for his unit isn’t amazing though.

He seems like a close combat killer, but you must’ve also gotten very lucky.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9611 on: October 22, 2017, 04:29:34 pm »

the luckier you are, the better the story.

Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9612 on: October 22, 2017, 04:42:48 pm »

I always loved those surprises. Reminds me of an apocalypse game when my crons were facing Imperial Guardsmen. The Guardsmen were naturally sitting in their great big gunline, all centered around a series of bunkers and the one big shadowsword superheavy tank. We had 6 players all duking it out in the no man's zone of pure slaughter, so it's understandable that amidst all this, he didn't noticed the tiny little scarab swarm making its way towards his shadowsword. Things take a hilarious turn for the best when one of his allies points to my scarabs and says to him, "you know they eat tanks right?"
He didn't.
Dedicates all the lasgun fire he can in the world at it, heavy stubber fire, mortar fire fails, enough scarabs make it through - and in one single turn destroy the shadowsword, causing it to go nuclear and destroy the remaining scarabs. One of my monoliths deep strikes into their formation, completely wreaking havoc amongst guardsmen squads, immobilizing and wrecking vehicles and causing serious mayhem. Against all odds, a single melta-gun wielding guardsman survives his squad being wiped out by a particle whip, takes aim - hits - and destroys the monolith. The fable of melta-guy begins that day

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9613 on: October 22, 2017, 06:58:42 pm »

Truly, meltaguns are the great equalizers of the 40k universe. Melta-weapons turned out to be my player's go to weapons in the table top RPG too because, fuck it, when you really want to make sure you're going to hurt something, anything, you grab a melta-weapon.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9614 on: October 22, 2017, 07:02:28 pm »

Deadliest words in WH40K are, "Jurgen, melta please."
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 639 640 [641] 642 643 ... 824