Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965160 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: Lictor, P.I.
« Reply #9900 on: December 20, 2017, 07:27:19 pm »

Regular humans in 40k include genetically/cybernetically modified labourers and guards, borderline abhumans and minor mutants. A marine couldn't stroll around a bunch of nobles incognito unless they pretended to be a guard of some kind, but one could meander among underhive gangers and similar with little issue. They're practically dwarfed by the things the Mechanicus creates to use as cyborg forklifts. They look odd and big, but odd and big can mean any of thousands of things in a Hive city.
They'd probably fit right in with nobles given how nobles can purchase all the implants which would make them HUUUUUUUUGE

Most likely a lot of them picked up some elements of the super-charisma shown by the Emperor and the Primarchs. Frankly, an Astartes could probably go undercover on our world without too much trouble. There aren't a lot of people who are seven feet tall, but it's also not unheard of. They certainly wouldn't get black-bagged just for walking down the street.

Not that you could successfully black-bag a Space Marine anyway.
I think the dead give away would be their skeletal structure, if not their prodigious size. Their fused ribcage and the solid black carapace armour directly under their skin would be noticeable to any prolonged observation, revealing that the individual was in all likelihood, a spehss mahrin or someone modified to standards similar to them
That said, how many people will actually know about the implants and skeletal structure of spacemarines? Less than you might initially think, perhaps. We have access to a lot more general information than most of those inside the setting,amd I imagine knowledge of creating space marines - and of their specific biological details - is likely to be more restricted.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9901 on: December 20, 2017, 07:29:05 pm »

Yeah, Astra Militarim, Adeptus Astartes. GWS has made a concerted effort the last few years to rid their universe of 80s sounding terms like “Space Marine.”
Adeptus Astrates, Mechanicus and Sororitas and many other names existed ever since Rogue Trader. The major push behind it is the copyright probably, but if anything it's just creating internal consistency in the lore by giving everyone proper names in both Low and High Gothic. Fake Latin is as 80s sounding as is Space Marine.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9902 on: December 20, 2017, 07:31:30 pm »

That said, how many people will actually know about the implants and skeletal structure of spacemarines? Less than you might initially think, perhaps. We have access to a lot more general information than most of those inside the setting,amd I imagine knowledge of creating space marines - and of their specific biological details - is likely to be more restricted.
Exactly. They most likely would be discarded as mechanicus helpers or ogryns even.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9903 on: December 20, 2017, 07:36:58 pm »

too smart to be ogryns tho
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9904 on: December 20, 2017, 07:39:36 pm »

Smart enough to play dumb, even?
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9905 on: December 20, 2017, 07:43:12 pm »

too smart to be ogryns tho
Can't ogyrns get brain implants to make them smarter? Bone'eads or something like that.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9906 on: December 20, 2017, 07:45:29 pm »

There's only so much those implants can do though :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9907 on: December 20, 2017, 07:52:41 pm »

Smart enough to play dumb, even?

The codex astartes does not support this maneuver
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9908 on: December 20, 2017, 07:56:12 pm »

Spess Mahrheens are proud enough warriors to set aside their pride when that would make them better at warrioring. ;P
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9909 on: December 20, 2017, 08:18:53 pm »

Fake Latin is as 80s sounding as is Space Marine.

We're just gonna have to agree to disagree about that. Because whenever I hear "Space Marine" this is what I think of and it doesn't get more 80s than that to me. Frankly it's always sounded cheesy to me. The whole choice of "Marine" has never sat well with me, for how little Astartes are defined by their ships.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:25:25 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9910 on: December 20, 2017, 09:16:43 pm »

That's 90s.
Astrates are defined by their ships. That's the whole thing. They're the one of few forces in Imperium that has access to both means of getting between planets and means to fuck shit up on foot. Everyone else usually has to beg Imperial Navy to give them a ride.

Blame Horus.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9911 on: December 20, 2017, 11:49:17 pm »

DAMMIT HORUS
there, got that out of the way for this hour

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #9912 on: December 21, 2017, 12:21:03 pm »

DAMMIT HORUS

basically 90% of 40k's backstory/lore
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9913 on: December 21, 2017, 12:35:34 pm »

Once again dropping by for tablesalt corner.

They're firmed up the rules to once again be 'Characters can only be targeted if they're visible and the closest'.
Which means keeping a squad of chaff handy and out of LoS means your Herohammer Bricklord Tankfucker can't even be shot at.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9914 on: December 21, 2017, 12:45:35 pm »

Wow.  Surely they intended "the closest visible" there, but screwed up?

Edit:  Such that more may praise the glory of Slaanesh on this page, I will edit this to postemplively praise THEY WHO THIRST
By far the worst of chaos, and the worst.  Definitely the worst.  But at times, while being the worst, really attractively bad.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 03:53:01 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 824