Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 703 704 [705] 706 707 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965494 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: Baby's first Exterminatus.
« Reply #10560 on: October 09, 2018, 10:56:57 am »

Also judging by the books, especially the Horus Heresy, warp travel is a lot more reliable than you'd think. It does depend on the Gellar Field being functional, but otherwise most travel happens as if warp travel was just extremely efficient FTL that once in a great while tries to eat your soul.

Tl;Dr warp is like airplane. Sure there are crashes and they're very publicized, because "10000 other flights went totally fine!" Is a boring story.

Well yeah.  Literally billions of warp jumps are made every day, we only hear about the conga lines of the dead.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10561 on: October 09, 2018, 11:01:25 am »

It's more like... old sea voyages except taken to an extreme. Shit goes wrong a lot, people die, occasional flooding (of daemons), shits breaking down and whatnot, but the ship is a big thing and it still goes on. The loss of whole thing is pretty catastrophic, but dying on an otherwise successful trip is not unlikely. So the truth is that it's not even dangerous because of the chance of complete and utter fuckup, but more the dangers of stuff like your toilet now bites people's asses off, a plague broke off in the lower levels and thousands of the "crew" inhabitants of the ship die, there's food shortage and riots and then sometimes certain parts of the ship have really weird shit happening when the Gellar Field flickers.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10562 on: October 09, 2018, 07:18:37 pm »

Two recent works.

Spoiler: Minotaur (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tzaanbull (click to show/hide)
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10563 on: October 09, 2018, 08:06:00 pm »

Contrast of the brown head on the second model is kind of throwing me off. It's very brown. I feel like the paler flesh tones of the rest of the fig would have looked better across the face as well, or the flesh tones done a little darker to match the head better. Just a critique, don't hit me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10564 on: October 09, 2018, 08:07:18 pm »

I really like the colouring on the Tzeentch bull, but both are great stuff.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10565 on: October 09, 2018, 09:17:15 pm »

I similar the body and head contrast, but if that top Minotaur is an old sculpt then holy crap have you done some intense work on it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10566 on: October 10, 2018, 12:52:42 am »

Nice wash work, Grim Portent! The Tzaanbull in particular almost looks like its skin is swirling as I look at it, which is a great effect.

It's more like... old sea voyages except taken to an extreme. Shit goes wrong a lot, people die, occasional flooding (of daemons), shits breaking down and whatnot, but the ship is a big thing and it still goes on. The loss of whole thing is pretty catastrophic, but dying on an otherwise successful trip is not unlikely. So the truth is that it's not even dangerous because of the chance of complete and utter fuckup, but more the dangers of stuff like your toilet now bites people's asses off, a plague broke off in the lower levels and thousands of the "crew" inhabitants of the ship die, there's food shortage and riots and then sometimes certain parts of the ship have really weird shit happening when the Gellar Field flickers.

This is partly due to the general state of chaos of most Imperial ships, as well. If the Field flickers and now half the ship's Ghilliam are zealous Nurglites, who's going to notice?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10567 on: October 10, 2018, 03:45:58 am »

Two recent works.

Spoiler: Minotaur (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tzaanbull (click to show/hide)

It's good to know I'm not alone on this.  The paintjob on both is excellent, really top notch, but the head of the minotaur doesn't have enough contrast, so it ends up looking like you did a first pass and then forgot to do anything more with it.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10568 on: October 10, 2018, 06:31:25 am »

Originally the Tzaanbull did have a flesh tone head, but I kept thinking it didn't look right and wound up dumping it to one side to work on other stuff. After painting the normal minotaur I decided to try taking it's style of head and applying it to the Tzaanbull, so it was a late change that kind of got wedged in onto an existing scheme.

There was an attempt to fade the brown in more, but it was only really possible on one side because of the twisted neck reducing the available space.

In hindsight what I would have done is only made the upper front of the head brown, fading in darker towards the end of the snout, but at this point I'm not sure I can fix it without stripping the whole thing or winding up with too many layers of paint on the model.

I could try to brighten up the highlights on the head's contours, there's a light layer of paler brown on the ridges, but my photos are all taken on a phone so small efforts like that don't come through properly. You can just see it on the ridge beneath his eye in the first photo.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10569 on: October 10, 2018, 06:46:16 am »

Yeah the other side looks great. I know the feeling when there's already too many layers though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10570 on: October 10, 2018, 01:14:16 pm »

Richard Boylan did a new short 40K short film. It’s pretty good: https://youtube.com/watch?v=6bgi5STRe8E

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10571 on: October 10, 2018, 03:23:20 pm »

Richard Boylan did a new short 40K short film. It’s pretty good: https://youtube.com/watch?v=6bgi5STRe8E

speaking of which, did that inquisitor fan movie of some years past ever saw completion?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #10572 on: October 10, 2018, 03:48:19 pm »

Dude ran into some trouble apparently, now makes his own series and also did original MGS intro recently, which made him more popular than anything related to Warhammer. It fills me with sorrow.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10573 on: October 10, 2018, 04:07:04 pm »

Originally the Tzaanbull did have a flesh tone head, but I kept thinking it didn't look right and wound up dumping it to one side to work on other stuff. After painting the normal minotaur I decided to try taking it's style of head and applying it to the Tzaanbull, so it was a late change that kind of got wedged in onto an existing scheme.

There was an attempt to fade the brown in more, but it was only really possible on one side because of the twisted neck reducing the available space.

In hindsight what I would have done is only made the upper front of the head brown, fading in darker towards the end of the snout, but at this point I'm not sure I can fix it without stripping the whole thing or winding up with too many layers of paint on the model.

I could try to brighten up the highlights on the head's contours, there's a light layer of paler brown on the ridges, but my photos are all taken on a phone so small efforts like that don't come through properly. You can just see it on the ridge beneath his eye in the first photo.

Yeah, I can sympathize with the agony of putting paint to something then realizing it needs to change. You totally have a budget on layers. This is why I can agonize for a good hour faffing around touching up my primer coat and stuff or doing some easy to figure out detail work while I grind over possibilities for main colors and how they look.

Dude ran into some trouble apparently, now makes his own series and also did original MGS intro recently, which made him more popular than anything related to Warhammer. It fills me with sorrow.

Yeah. I was very hyped for this but found out a couple months ago he had to abandon the whole project.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10574 on: October 10, 2018, 04:17:40 pm »

I'll add to the chorus as well, those two figs look pretty good. For the bull, is there no way to carefully strip paint away from one part of the miniature without touching the other parts? Can't imagine it'd be easy, but maybe with careful application of solvent? Though I guess that might also end up just screwing it up (though having a face that's half melting off seems fitting for something touched by Chaos).

By the way, haven't done a new thread title in a while, you have first choice if you want it on account for continuing to share your work in here with us mere mortals.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 703 704 [705] 706 707 ... 824