Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 747 748 [749] 750 751 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 965450 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Because Emperor can win - really, his victory conditions are essentially fulfilled as long as humanity remains.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

That's more of a draw.  His victory condition is finally scratching his nose.

Chaos will always threaten 40k humans unless like...  They galaxy-wide devolve to Tau-state (losing psykers) or something.  Though maybe that human-webway project would have made things relatively safe.

Extra heresy:  Maybe the reborn Emprah is so upset with the Imperium's perversion of his ideas, that he release Men of Metal 2.0 and rules them instead.  Would solve the Chaos problem at least.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

can't win
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

His original 'victory conditions' are all failures. Secularizing humanity? An utter failure. Using the webway to get rid of warp travel? A failure. Uniting humanity? Debatable given that the fiction is populated by a never ending series of rebellions and withdrawals from the Imperium as the basis for half its stories.

IIRC in the Master of Mankind novel, he basically says "we've failed" after Magnus blasted open the webway gate in the Imperial Dungeons and ruined most of the technology the Emperor had built to make his dreams a reality, never to be rebuilt.

So yeah. If you move the goal posts from his original designs to "humanity gets to keep breathing", then maybe you can say humanity can "win" that fight. Otherwise it's just trying to hold on to what they have as, with each defeat, more is lost. In the infinite continuum of a 40k setting that never progresses, that state can go on forever. But if the setting has to advance, by its own construction, humanity will continue to lose more than they gain with each passing year until eventually the Imperium collapses.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 02:52:18 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

One theory as to why Chaos is so damn wack, is because the rest of the universe is so damn wack. There are probably benevolent chaos gods in the warp. In fact, John Blanche once said in an interview that he beloved that there were infinite, all waiting to bubble to the surface. The reason we don’t see Chaos Gods of like, I dunno, charity, is probably because there’s isn’t a whole lot of that going around. The galaxy right now is pretty fucked up. Even without Chaos stuff wouldn’t improve THAT much. And don’t say Nurgle is the god of charity. He is in meme-form, but not really canonically.

So, Big E COULD technically “defeat” chaos. He’d have to create peace across the entire galaxy, maybe even the universe, and at the LEAST that would make Chaos stop being so Schizophrenic. Probably. Maybe. Hopefully

Speaking of which, what do you guys think is going on the next galaxy over in 40k? I wonder if Andromeda has Orks infesting it yet. I know in the fluff some techpriests launched a probe that passed the border of the galaxy like 10,000 years ago, and they’re still hearing Ork signals.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 03:00:31 pm by LordPorkins »
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Extra heresy:  Maybe the reborn Emprah is so upset with the Imperium's perversion of his ideas, that he release Men of Metal 2.0 and rules them instead.  Would solve the Chaos problem at least.
Even after so much time that's kinda out of question, because...

His original 'victory conditions' are all failures. Secularizing humanity? An utter failure. Using the webway to get rid of warp travel? A failure. Uniting humanity? Debatable given that the fiction is populated by a never ending series of rebellions and withdrawals from the Imperium as the basis for half its stories.
None of them are his actual victory conditions. Emperor's prime "victory condition", the entire reason behind his existence is ensuing protection of Humanity against outside threats - be it Enslavers and other assorted Warp monsters, Xenos, or such. As long as humanity continues to exist he has won.

IIRC in the Master of Mankind novel, he basically says "we've failed" after Magnus blasted open the webway gate in the Imperial Dungeons and ruined most of the technology the Emperor had built to make his dreams a reality, never to be rebuilt.
He has failed in short term basically, because Golden Throne was supposed to be one of primary prerequisites to ensuing that Chaos goes "go" and stays "go" (which is kinda necessary to safeguard humanity), and even then, it's not even necessarily said Golden Throne will never be used in it's original form - Magnus destiny was interwoven with Golden Throne, whereas he was originally intended to be the one that would sit on it, he was the one that were to break it, but the device is still technically intended for him - whereas I'm reluctant to believe that of redemption is possible for any traitors, he might as well be an involuntary battery (or someone completely else, but still Magnus... it's complicated), so to speak. Of course, it first would require getting Emperor's ass off the thing, which again, is much more hinted at in recent lore - to tie with the previously mentioned Guilliman talk, Emperor is pretty fucking sure Guilliman is a key to releasing Emperor from his "prison", though it's not clear as to how.

So yeah. If you move the goal posts from his original designs to "humanity gets to keep breathing", then maybe you can say humanity can "win" that fight.
That is his original design, heck, quite literally "design" if we take the shamans thing to be true. I'm not moving the goalposts, you are.

Otherwise it's just trying to hold on to what they have as, with each defeat, more is lost. In the infinite continuum of a 40k setting that never progresses, that state can go on forever. But if the setting has to advance, by its own construction, humanity will continue to lose more than they gain with each passing year until eventually the Imperium collapses.
By it's own construction, Warhammer always existed in a state of perpetual "we'll get you next year" for every faction. The point is that every faction (and many subfactions) have pretty clearly defined shot at "winning" by achieving supremacy (ar at least getting significantly ahead) over others, even if it's more or less likely depending on who you ask.

One theory as to why Chaos is so damn wack, is because the rest of the universe is so damn wack. There are probably benevolent chaos gods in the warp. In fact, John Blanche once said in an interview that he beloved that there were infinite, all waiting to bubble to the surface. The reason we don’t see Chaos Gods of like, I dunno, charity, is probably because there’s isn’t a whole lot of that going around. The galaxy right now is pretty fucked up. Even without Chaos stuff wouldn’t improve THAT much. And don’t say Nurgle is the god of charity. He is in meme-form, but not really canonically.
I'm pretty sure it's more dualistic. It's canon that technically all Chaos Gods have "positive" aspects, they're just outweighed by the negative ones. This doesn't necessarily mean that say, Nurgle, as a individual being that sits somewhere in the Warp would (somehow) suddenly become nice, but rather he could be replaced by one of his aspects that exist in lesser form up to that point. A daemon, if you will.

So, Big E COULD technically “defeat” chaos. He’d have to create peace across the entire galaxy, maybe even the universe, and at the LEAST that would make Chaos stop being so Schizophrenic. Probably. Maybe. Hopefully
Cabal saw it could happen in two ways - Emperor dies, and Chaos is destroyed simply because Horus goes on a murderous rampage to fucking kill everything, so there's nothing to feed Chaos emotions anymore, so it would starve. This was the "good" option for them.
The other option was Emperor winning the fight, and making the humanity dominant species in the Galaxy, which ultimately would result in Chaos winning because even Emperor couldn't deal with that. This is the "bad" option, and often assumed to be the canonical outcome, since, well, technically Horus did lose. I believe it's more complicated than that - as the "choice", so to speak, was up to the Twins, Alpharius and Omegon. Supposedly they're both heretics, but some (nearly all of them) of their actions do make you question their actual allegiances, and while the whole "Omegon is Janus" theory has been disproven (though Ianius itself is a pretty fucking interesting, especially in relation to Magnus and curiously, Blood Magpies), I don't think it's too big of a leap to think that somehow, due to them being... in the weird state of being twins, despite not being supposed to, they could have disagreed which caused a third option, and that one resulted in  essentially a stalemate, and future is uncertain.

Speaking of which, what do you guys think is going on the next galaxy over in 40k? I wonder if Andromeda has Orks infesting it yet. I know in the fluff some techpriests launched a probe that passed the border of the galaxy like 10,000 years ago, and they’re still hearing Ork signals.
Orks. Tyranids. Lost Legions. Some Jokaeros who were particularly bored. One very confused Guardsman.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In recent lore ( plague wars book)

Emperor manifests through the little child, stops time, blasts nurglites with golden light and saves roboute from mortarion.
Guilleman gets to question his whole rational thinking and story ends with him opening up Lorgars lectitio divinatus book.

Maximum kek.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

None of them are his actual victory conditions. Emperor's prime "victory condition", the entire reason behind his existence is ensuing protection of Humanity against outside threats - be it Enslavers and other assorted Warp monsters, Xenos, or such. As long as humanity continues to exist he has won.

His original goal was freeing humanity from its attachment to psychic power and the warp. That was his protection plan, remodeling humanity so it no longer fell prey to these things because they no longer believed they were real, and all psykers ended up locked up and/or as batteries for the Throne. That plan failed, as did all the other parts that go along with it. Shooting aliens is the much smaller portion of his protection plan because the larger threat isn't something you can beat with a Bolter.

He has failed in short term basically, because Golden Throne was supposed to be one of primary prerequisites to ensuing that Chaos goes "go" and stays "go" (which is kinda necessary to safeguard humanity), and even then, it's not even necessarily said Golden Throne will never be used in it's original form - Magnus destiny was interwoven with Golden Throne, whereas he was originally intended to be the one that would sit on it, he was the one that were to break it, but the device is still technically intended for him - whereas I'm reluctant to believe that of redemption is possible for any traitors, he might as well be an involuntary battery (or someone completely else, but still Magnus... it's complicated), so to speak. Of course, it first would require getting Emperor's ass off the thing, which again, is much more hinted at in recent lore - to tie with the previously mentioned Guilliman talk, Emperor is pretty fucking sure Guilliman is a key to releasing Emperor from his "prison", though it's not clear as to how.

He had to take the throne to prevent all the BS coming through the webway gate and wrecking all of Terra. He can't leave the throne now because he's the only thing holding everything back. Unless they come up with a really quick hot swap. That's not a short-term failure and solution, it's literally the only option he had left.

That is his original design, heck, quite literally "design" if we take the shamans thing to be true. I'm not moving the goalposts, you are.

His original design was the psychic decoupling of humanity from the Warp in various ways. That was how he was going to ensure their future. That goal is a failure.

The point is that every faction (and many subfactions) have pretty clearly defined shot at "winning" by achieving supremacy (ar at least getting significantly ahead) over others, even if it's more or less likely depending on who you ask.

It's debatable whether or not the Imperium even retains this supremacy in the current era. Orks tearing apart the Imperium, Tyranids gobbling it from multiple directions, the fall of Cadia....that doesn't and hasn't looked like supremacy to me for a long time. "Pyrrhic victory" isn't supremacy. It's hanging on by your fingernails.

I dunno. Master of Mankind left me with the distinct impression that the Emperor doesn't have all the answers at the end of the day. All he really has to fall back on is raw psychic might and that is almost fully committed just to making sure Terra isn't swamped by the warp. It isn't portrayed as a temporary setback that's lasted 10,000 years, but as a terminal setback with no plan going forward.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 03:53:53 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

His original goal was freeing humanity from its attachment to psychic power and the warp. That was his protection plan, remodeling humanity so it no longer fell prey to these things because they no longer believed they were real, and all psykers ended up locked up and/or as batteries for the Throne. That plan failed, as did all the other parts that go along with it. Shooting aliens is the much smaller portion of his protection plan because the larger threat isn't something you can beat with a Bolter.
That's... not exactly how it works, and Emperor was distinctly aware. Warp beings don't stop gnawing on your brain because you don't believe they exist. Apart from Chaos Gods and their forces, Warp is filled with beings that prey on living and have fuck-all to do with beliefs, though presumably it's state has a significant impact on them.

He had to take the throne to prevent all the BS coming through the webway gate and wrecking all of Terra. He can't leave the throne now because he's the only thing holding everything back. Unless they come up with a really quick hot swap. That's not a short-term failure and solution, it's literally the only option he had left.
Imperial Forces are capable of (relatively) short-term defense against shit that comes from Webway - they did it before. Hot swaps were also done before - see Malcador the Sigilite. The bigger problem would be if anyone still even remembers that fucking bomb Vulkan rigged to it "just in case".

His original design was the psychic decoupling of humanity from the Warp in various ways. That was how he was going to ensure their future. That goal is a failure.
That was part of the whole plan, not "the core" of it. Getting rid of psychical threats is just a part of ensuing that humanity is safe forever, just like getting rid of physical ones is.

It's debatable whether or not the Imperium even retains this supremacy in the current era. Orks tearing apart the Imperium, Tyranids gobbling it from multiple directions, the fall of Cadia....that doesn't and hasn't looked like supremacy to me for a long time. "Pyrrhic victory" isn't supremacy. It's hanging on by your fingernails.
Full STC, Emperor getting his ass off Golden Throne (somehow), (more) Primarches coming back, etc. I am saying that every faction has a shot due to various set-up plot points, not that Imperium is currently winning. Though they kind of retain supremacy, still, depending on your definition. They simply still are the biggest force settled in Galaxy - sure, there are many forces that are very significant threat, but "not yet".

I dunno. Master of Mankind left me with the distinct impression that the Emperor doesn't have all the answers at the end of the day. All he really has to fall back on is raw psychic might and that is almost fully committed just to making sure Terra isn't swamped by the warp. It isn't portrayed as a temporary setback that's lasted 10,000 years, but as a terminal setback with no plan going forward.
It's portrayed as a terminal setback, with fuckton of plans that however rely on very specific set of circumstances that may or may not happen. This is actually what everyone had against Warhammer 40k for longest while - Galaxy is at the brink of shit hitting the fan, but it never does. It's not the slow, boring toss of shit even, but a whole shitstorm that has been brewing for thousands of years. This is what I mentioned. There are so many theories on how things can be spun in either way that I can barely remember some of them.
As far as Emperor not having all answers at the end of the day - sure, he doesn't, because the truth is none does, not even Tzzentch, even if only for him being a masochistic retard that is as likely to fuck his own plans just because, as he is to actually carry them out. Emperor does have an awful lot of answers though.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile

'Nids came from andromeda to escape the Orks.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Well, no. Andromeda I am pretty sure is in different direction in space from where Tyranids are arriving, and while it's not really known what Tyranids are running from (or what to, though presumably Pharos/Astronomican are why they chose this Galaxy over others), it's probably not Orks. Boring option - starvation, fun option - bigger fish. There's always a bigger fish.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, no. Andromeda I am pretty sure is in different direction in space from where Tyranids are arriving, and while it's not really known what Tyranids are running from (or what to, though presumably Pharos/Astronomican are why they chose this Galaxy over others), it's probably not Orks. Boring option - starvation, fun option - bigger fish. There's always a bigger fish.

The Andromeda galaxy is just one big Ork. Prove me wrong.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On my phone so I can’t make a big reply. But in MoM Imperial forces, the cream of the crop of Imperial forces during the Heresy, ultimately couldn’t hold back the Warp except with the Emperor’s direct intervention. Now, 95% of those forces, their strength and their tech are gone. So I guess I disagre that current Imperial forcues could deal. They couldn’t in the past and the past was arguably stronger.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile

I thought that andromeda was full of pa'anurai.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

The bigger problem would be if anyone still even remembers that fucking bomb Vulkan rigged to it "just in case".
The more I hear about Vulcan the more I like him, even outside Text-To-Speech-Device.  Nice, but also badass even for a demigod.
I thought that andromeda was full of pa'anurai.
You misspelled W'rkncacnter C'tan.
Hm, spooky astrovores seem associated with apostrophes.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The bigger problem would be if anyone still even remembers that fucking bomb Vulkan rigged to it "just in case".
The more I hear about Vulcan the more I like him, even outside Text-To-Speech-Device.  Nice, but also badass even for a demigod.

IT'S ALSO A HAMMER
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha
Pages: 1 ... 747 748 [749] 750 751 ... 824