Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 750 751 [752] 753 754 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971295 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heh, I sometimes feel like that with one of the guys from my local gaming group. He does some amazing conversions and paintjobs.

If you want to share it around feel free. It's always nice to have stuff passed around since it might help inspire other people to do some cool stuff.

I was actually inspired to pick up this concept again when I saw these models:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
source: http://natfka.blogspot.com/2018/08/whats-on-your-table-converted-kurnoth.html

They blew me away to be honest. I love how they've done the base, love the use of grass on the models, the use of crackle paints on the actual minis. Just glorious things in general.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile

Hm. I think it would look cool with the skull painted like wood. I've seen at least one chunk of deadwood eroded to look remarkably like a skull.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hm. I think it would look cool with the skull painted like wood. I've seen at least one chunk of deadwood eroded to look remarkably like a skull.

That could work, but I think the head needs to contrast with the normal wood colours to stand out, the normal head for Drycha is usually a ghostly green/blue so it pops out of the wood.

It's also supposed to pair with this guy I made back in 2016.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With him the basic idea was a treeman captured by Beastmen and corrupted through torment and dark rites, so the beast skull was a core part of the idea. The treeman needs major touch up work though. My bone skills were meh when I did him and the area his skull is attached needs some work done to make it look more like it's supposed to be there.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

Finally got the 8th edition space marine codex so I could try rebuilding an army to get back into 40K, but I've had pretty mixed feelings about it.  I was pretty disappointed to see that the old units and models from back when I last played in 5th edition are largely unchanged.  I was hoping that since 8th edition seems to have removed some restrictions in general and opened up the game a fair bit that, say, devastators, razorbacks or dreadnoughts might have new weapon options.  I've wanted to give devastators autocannons or heavy flamers forever.

But, really, it feels like this edition actually removed options for the old units.  Apothecaries got a major buff overall to their stat line, but they can't take anything from the armory anymore, for example.  Guess that model where I gave one a stormbolter isn't valid anymore.  Servitor squads take up an elite slot and only half of them can be given guns.  Dreadnoughts used to be able to replace their close combat weapon with a twin-linked autocannon, but can't do that anymore either.  Razorbacks can't take the lascannon and twin-linked plasmagun turret anymore.  Devastators can take gravcannons now, so that's at least something new.

And I feel like a serious curmudgeon for saying it, but I just don't like a lot of the units that have been added since I last played.  Most of the space marines' aircraft look pretty ugly.  Centurions look weird.  Primaris marines don't look weird, but I'm not a fan of how their army list entries work or too much of a fan of the lore.  I was really hoping that you could just substitute primaris marines for normal marines in any unit entry for some point cost and call it a day, but instead the army has way too many options because many list entries are duplicated to make a new primaris version with less options than the old entry.

Oh well, guess I can get by with just building an army out of the models I already have and largely stick to the older unit entries.

Speaking of which, this is probably beating a dead horse, but the modern codices are some of the worst organized books I've ever read.  Having to flip between 3 separate parts of the book (weapon lists, unit entries with options and point cost tables) is sincerely annoying.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

I remember tyranids in 5th? edition had like a massive laundry list of upgrades for every unit.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

As a fellow curmudgeon, I agree with most of that.

I say most though because Primaris are pretty fun to play with, despite the lore butchery. The extra wound, extra attack and longer range gun means they feel a little bit thematically closer to how I think space marines should feel. A costly jack-of-all-trades which fits neatly between out-fighting Orks and out-fighting Nobz.
Old marines in contrast to me feel like sad necrons with weaker guns who don’t get back up. It sucks.

As for the shucking of everything you held dear, there’s some minor light through the leaves but I wouldn’t call it a silver lining. Essentially, they had copyright issues because courts settled in favour of people making models for things which they had built rules, but not models for. So they hacked out the rules for everything which didn’t have a model. They then took stuff which had very old models and put them in the index, but not the codex (you’ll be able to run it, but it’ll likely be wildly overcosted), and took everything which required a forgeworld upgrade kit and made forgeworld host the rules for them (which is where you’ll find your plasmaback and mortis dreadnought).

But yeah they mildly expanded the space marine line in 7th, but as of 8th it’s essentially all Primaris all the time.

In ME news i’m gonna start rubbing a deathwatch Wrath & Glory campaign so hopefully that’ll work well. So far we have an Imperial fists intercessor, a White Scars tactical veteran, and an undecided Space Wolf.
Very keen to get started.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I remember tyranids in 5th? edition had like a massive laundry list of upgrades for every unit.

I think that was 4th, 5th edition Tyranids were pretty bland with only a handful of things for the smaller models, but a decent list for the monsters, where 4th had a huuuuge list of stuff for all the units from what I've been told.

Their options are actually a bit better now than they were in 5th. A lot of weird little biomorphs like acid maws are back. Almost every bit in the Carnifex box actually does something now, while the head/tail variants didn't do anything before for example.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I say most though because Primaris are pretty fun to play with, despite the lore butchery. The extra wound, extra attack and longer range gun means they feel a little bit thematically closer to how I think space marines should feel. A costly jack-of-all-trades which fits neatly between out-fighting Orks and out-fighting Nobz.
Old marines in contrast to me feel like sad necrons with weaker guns who don’t get back up. It sucks.

This I do agree with.  I kind of dislike the idea of the primaris marines, and the execution could use a little work, but I'd totally use them in place of ordinary marines if the codex would let me.  Devastators with two wounds?  Yes, please.

Then again, looking at the numbers in 8th edition, I'm pretty sure things just flat die quicker so it might not help much.  At least on paper, it looks like everything got a ludicrous upgrade in number of shots being thrown around, which I'm guessing was partially to counter changing vehicles to have conventional stat lines and taking more hits to down on average.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fragile things like guard got tougher and tough things like marines got more fragile in 8th. The change to the AP system kinda did a number on elite infantry.

You could make normal marines 2 wounds base with no points change and they'd still be an iffy option in this edition.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile

I think that was 4th, 5th edition Tyranids were pretty bland with only a handful of things for the smaller models, but a decent list for the monsters, where 4th had a huuuuge list of stuff for all the units from what I've been told.

Their options are actually a bit better now than they were in 5th. A lot of weird little biomorphs like acid maws are back. Almost every bit in the Carnifex box actually does something now, while the head/tail variants didn't do anything before for example.

Yeah, can confirm. 4th was laden with options while 5th cut a ton of them.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fragile things like guard got tougher and tough things like marines got more fragile in 8th. The change to the AP system kinda did a number on elite infantry.

You could make normal marines 2 wounds base with no points change and they'd still be an iffy option in this edition.

This is what I was thinking too.  It looks like most weapons S5 and higher get AP-1, including things as common as heavy bolters.  That's a pretty significant hit to MEQs, although it's a little counterbalanced by the fact that it looks like MEQs still get marginal armor saves against plasma and power weapons that they never got before.  Marines do still save on 6+ against AP-3 plasma, right?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The formula for what happened to AP was that AP5/6 got removed, and AP4 became -1, AP3 -2 and so on.

The net effect was that things like bolters, shuriken weapons and gauss rifles do 1/3rd the damage to geq they used to since guard get an armour save against them, and heavy bolters and other formerly AP4 weapons do less damage to guard than before but more to marines since guard now get a 6+ against them but marines have a 4+ instead of 3+. AP3/2 weapons technically do less damage to meq and teq but they cost too much for that to help in general when just spamming cheap shots kills them easily enough.

So guard/dark eldar and similar got a lot tougher at the same time marines and necrons got a lot weaker both defensively and offensively.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

So -5 actually does still exist. It’s just on, like 3 different weapons across the entire game
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Also it results in a much more... “precise” fix for units with invulnerable saves. Thousand Sons which used to be impervious to almost everything except massed Bolter Fire are now much easier to take down. Rather than needing an expensive AP-3 option and then having a 4++ laughing at you, now you can use generic heavy weapons to chip away at them.

Roboute Guilliman is in the same boat. 2+ armor, 3++ invulnerable, Toughness 6? It’s like massed autocannons were made for him. You just need to bring the armor down to the level of the invulnerable.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Coupled with the other broad changes to points, combat mechanics, so on and so forth, 8th edition is a horde focused, glass cannon shooting oriented game.

It's easy to put down enough guns to obliterate a berzerker rush, so anyone who wants to use them has to make them Alpha Legion and use a pre-battle move to close the distance enough to charge on turn 1, and they're still inferior to just making cultists or tzaangors fearless and squatting on objectives most of the game.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 750 751 [752] 753 754 ... 824