Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 796 797 [798] 799 800 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971717 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

It was Ultramarines IIRC.

Dead Sky, Black Sun and the other novels, I'm guessing. Yeah, that's another good example of adventuring in the 40k Meta-verse. Loved the Slaughterman storyline.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

It all generally meant my interest in 40k didn't last too long once I got back in during 8th edition.
The solution to that problem is the same solution to almost all problems: just play Orks.

Orkz are conceptually pretty fun, but one of the big draws for marines to me was that they're easy to paint and you don't need 300 of them to start an army.  :)

Unlike custodes, where you need like, 12 whole dudes for a 2000 game.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

Which is true, and now I'm curious how much GW charges for each gold dude since I expect they try to make up for low sales volume balance the cost of getting into the game with a new army.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Custodes are a pretty cheap army tbh. I think a whole 2000 point army can cost under £300 even when bought at standard retail price, which is relatively cheap for a 40k army. Might be off by a bit, but I think you only need about 9 kits to build a 2k list. Might not be a great list, but making a great Custodes list doesn't cost much more than a mediocre one, and I don't think there's really such a thing as a bad custodes list because their roster is small and all pretty good so it's hard to mess up.

Still not cheap by any means, but some 40k armies, such as ork, tyranid or guard infantry based lists, can cost three times as much to build because their infantry cost so little. If I wanted to build a Catachan infantry list I'd be paying through the nose for it, and the sculpts for guard have aged poorly.

Orkz are actually getting a new bunch of models sometime soon, a new kit for basic boyz being part of it, but most of it being focused around the new Beast Snaggaz. Orks who eschew vehicles and shootas in favour of tekked up stabbaz, squigs and bioniks to replace the bits that get bitten off by squigs. Fighting various giant monsters in close combat has resulted in them being bigger and tougher than most orkz, though not to the extent of Nobz. They're essentially Snakebites, but fluffed so that they can fit into any klan rather than only being marketable to people who like Snakebites.

Notable models are the return of an old Snakebites character, Zodgrod Wortsnagga who has an unusual fondness for gretchin, a new gretchin mini to accompany the Beastsnagga Doc models which in order to keep up with the squig riding snaggaz has bionic legs to run super fast, the gretchin assistant meanwhile has a single wheel where it's legs were to try and keep up with.

Also one of the minis is a gretchin riding a squig with a missile stapped to it. So some variant of bomb squigs might be coming back.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

Which is true, and now I'm curious how much GW charges for each gold dude since I expect they try to make up for low sales volume balance the cost of getting into the game with a new army.

Really like over half of the Custodes ships out of Forge World (naturally at forge world prices).  Dunno about the individual dudes, but the neat toys like dreads and hover tanks certainly do.  Or maybe not anymore, now that I'm actually looking at the GW webpage.  A squad of like five basic Dudes or three jetbikes is sixty bucks.

I guess pure Imperial Knights is also an option.  You'd need like what, four?

Or do what I did and get into Battletech, which is slightly cheaper as a pewter mech mini is about 10 15 bucks a pop.  If you can find them.  Or if the plastic modern ones are ever in stock...

Might not be a great list, but making a great Custodes list doesn't cost much more than a mediocre one, and I don't think there's really such a thing as a bad custodes list because their roster is small and all pretty good so it's hard to mess up.

IIRC isn't it usually improving the army by bringing in other imperium armies as allies?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think a lot of the things that made dipping into other imperium factions good/OP are gone or nerfed atm. Other than Imperial Knights, which benefit from getting some extra bodies, I think a lot of Imperial lists are mono-faction.

Chaos still dips a lot, but they've got more synergy between armies because of how their various mechanics work.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chaos, historically, has been an army with limited options in both 40k and fantasy. So it makes sense that of anyone, they get to borrow from other army lists to round out their roster. (In 2nd and 3rd Ed. I think it could only make up like 25% of their total points spent.)
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Under their current rules a lot of abilities work on the keyword HERETIC ASTARTES, which is shared across Chaos Marines, Death Guard and Thousand Sons, mostly this means they can use most of their psychic powers on each other, and Chaos has some good psychic powers to dip onto other units. Plus of course you can field both Magnus and Mortarion as part of a single army, two primarchs is pretty strong.

Daemons have less direct synergy, but they can be summoned by chaos characters, and some of their buffs work on Possessed and Daemon Engines, and Possessed bombs are a thing. Or they were a thing a few months ago, not sure if they still are.

Wrapped up another model that I'd been putting off.

Spoiler: Skulltaker (click to show/hide)

Been ages since I painted a daemon, and Skulltaker was definitely a good model to break the fast.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Re-reading the Horus Heresy series atm, and let me just say that Magnus the Red, despite not being as “bad” as the other Traitor Primarchs, may be the biggest dumb ass of the lot.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

Re-reading the Horus Heresy series atm, and let me just say that Magnus the Red, despite not being as “bad” as the other Traitor Primarchs, may be the biggest dumb ass of the lot.

Well, that's why he's 'magnus the red' and not 'magnus the smart' or even 'magnus the plot-savvy'
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile

look having high int means you read a lot of books not that you know how to avoid fucking everything up for everybody
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

Re-reading the Horus Heresy series atm
Is such a thing possible within a single lifetime?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Re-reading the Horus Heresy series atm
Is such a thing possible within a single lifetime?

I've read it through twice. Although I only own ~27 of the books.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

Although I only own ~27 of the books.

The fact that this statement is actually 100% serious boggles the mind.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Correction: it's 43. :P

I think there's like 13 or so more that I don't have. I haven't read the last few I own because there's a few gaps I can't find at my bookstore, and I'm dragging my feet on buying them.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 10:27:44 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 796 797 [798] 799 800 ... 824