Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440195 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #405 on: August 13, 2014, 09:46:54 pm »

Shrug....he's a civi.

Maybe so, but that's the skill that's supposed to govern this behavior.  It should be going up if he's being frightened of stuff, so it might be worth checking to see if it has improved to Novice or better.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 14, 2014, 03:49:35 am »

Is there some way to mass kill unreachable fliers? I'm not opposed to cheating my way through this bug.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 14, 2014, 07:32:57 am »

Not really, at least until DFHack works with the new version.  The best you can do is remove the [FLIER] tag in your save's raws for whatever it is that's stuck on your map.  That should cause them to drop out of the sky the next time you load the game, possibly killing them and at least making them targetable by your dwarves.  You can add the tag back later or leave it out so that new ones that show up aren't flying.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 14, 2014, 08:09:47 am »

I forgot to check the neighbouring factions to my fortress before i embarked. Is there a way to see if my fortress is near a necromancer tower, human civilization etc. once i have already embarked and built my fortress? I have just found adamantine so things are going very well.

Nobody can answer my question?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 14, 2014, 08:12:58 am »

Ok.

Your best bet is to go into your dwarffortress/data/save folder.  copy the region to the desktop as backup.
Reload fort, abandon fort
'Reclaim' fort, remember to check the civ neighbours at embark screen.  Exit out, replace save file, reload.

Yes that sucks, only way I know of to see neighbours after embark
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 14, 2014, 01:31:55 pm »

Ok, so I essentially fell off the wagon and missed the embark way back in 2010 when a shiny new version of df messed with my tiny brain, and due to commitments with other stuff I never really found my way back to what I still tell myself is my favourite game. I downloaded the latest version a few days ago, and, well - I don't know what I'm doing. The last version I had my head round is essentially the game as it was in 2008-9 and other than getting my dwarves to not die for a few months I am a HELL OF out of my depth now. The tutorials are great and all but I'd like that personal touch from asking a fellow gaming masochist what the hell am I doing.

In short, is there anything I should really, really super-know about the current version? I was pretty competent (as far as you can be) back in the day so I reckon I've grasped the basics anyway, but there's so much new stuff!
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 14, 2014, 02:18:42 pm »

First thing: There are now Z-levels.  Depth is no longer left to right.  It's now up and down.  You go through the different Z-levels using < and >. 

Next: Grab the Lazy Newb Pack.  It'll make your life a crapload easier.

gaite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 14, 2014, 02:35:26 pm »

Is there a way to get the first cavern layer to be placed closer to the surface in worldgen? Also, will generating a longer history result in more vampires? I keep hearing about people being accosted by hordes of vampire migrants, but I haven't seen a single one so far.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 14, 2014, 03:04:52 pm »

The Lazy Newb Pack was replaced by the DF Starter Pack.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 14, 2014, 03:22:01 pm »

First thing: There are now Z-levels.  Depth is no longer left to right.  It's now up and down.  You go through the different Z-levels using < and >. 

I last played 40d, I'm not that out of touch :P Thanks for the heads up about that pack though, I'm usually a hardcore purist when it comes to DF (no mods, no managers etc) but I might give it a spin.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Quitschi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 14, 2014, 03:30:37 pm »

Does someone know how I get an artefact Bucket out of my hospital?
Even deleting the hospital zone does not make my dorfs haul it back to the artefact vault.

gaite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 14, 2014, 03:35:28 pm »

Even deleting the hospital zone does not make my dorfs haul it back to the artefact vault.

Have you tried dumping it?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 14, 2014, 03:53:50 pm »

Is there a way to get the first cavern layer to be placed closer to the surface in worldgen? Also, will generating a longer history result in more vampires? I keep hearing about people being accosted by hordes of vampire migrants, but I haven't seen a single one so far.

In advanced worldgen paramaters, You are looking for a series of like 5 parameters, quite low in the list.  Something like "layers above 1, 2, 3, 4, 5".  1 is the top-cavern, by default its set to like 5 i think, try tweaking that downward a little.  (2 and 3 are spacing between caverns.  4 i think is sea and 5 smr, or something like this.  I only ever adjust the first for depth to cavern 1)

Not sure on vamps, not too short at least.  they need time to piss off a power and get cursed.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 14, 2014, 03:55:16 pm »

Have you tried dumping it?
I'm pretty sure you can't dump artifacts.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #419 on: August 14, 2014, 03:56:13 pm »

Maggarg, as someone who just got in before 2010:

*Hospitals- Are pretty easy, just assign a zone, put in some beds, make sure you have a well, and have a dude with diagnose enabled, rest is on wiki.
*Military - make a barrack, make a squad, set the squad to the training alert, set the barrack to be the training place for squads, follow the wiki for the rest.

*Main difference - material rewrite: silver hammers are much more useful than spoiler hammers, while spoiler swords are better than silver ones.
*Main difference 2 - All maps are potentially interesting. Don't worry about perfect embark for the beginning.

*New nasties - forgotten beast, night creatures, and other fun. The wiki has details, of course :)
*Zombies require pulping, so a squad of hammerdwarves pulping all their limbs into unrecognisable messes should work.

*more creatures.
*bees! (and beekeeping)
*animal training now works differently and requires a zone.

*mining skill no longer affects ore return.
*dwarves no longer haul things one at a time, they now they item weight and size into account. Stones are now slow to move without wheel barrows.
**Minecarts!

*main difference - The world now moves during play.
*This means your sieges come from actual world pops.
*this also means your kings, queens, liasons etc are from somewhere and will take time to get to you.

*burrows!(dwarves will only use burrows as job restrictions, not for anything else, except if the civilians are set to alert in that specific burrow)
*dwarven personalities, they affect things, and stuff.
*things are afraid, buggily so.
*trees! A lot of wood!
*for that matter, Clay!

You should be able to get going with what you've always known.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 268