Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440038 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #525 on: September 23, 2014, 07:18:16 am »

best way to crack a necro tower?
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 23, 2014, 08:54:30 am »

best way to crack a necro tower?
Lure them outside and run like hell.

Then try to sneak around the ones outside to see if you can.  If you can than try to do that inside.
If not than I guess kill them slowly and mind the necros who will re-raise them.

---

Towers went from trivial w/sneaking to arm(our)ed superzombies with supernatural detection eating your soul.  Im still trying to figure out the best way to get to the tops without the night creature status.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:59:21 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 24, 2014, 09:55:47 am »

I heard there is an option to unretire retired adventurers, but I don't see a way to do it. I've searched on the internet and found nothing.
So how do i unretire retired adventurers?

The same way you make a normal adventurer, except when choosing your race/starting civ, you should see something along the lines of "Urist McAdventurer from Town."

Is there a utility just for having the game log up on another monitor or in a window outside of the game so you can always see it without using the announcement window? Can't just open it in notepad, because it won't show changes made to it real-time.

According to this source, using Notepad++, there's an option to keep updating the file when it changes.

Oh sweet. I already use NP++.

It only seems to update when I focus on the window, though, so I can't have them side by side without clicking between the game and the notepad window.

Assuming that you have CygWin installed, just open up a CygWin window and use 'tail -f filename'.  That will (probably) let you watch (follow) the announcement log file as things are added to it.

I don't know if Windows has the equivalent of the 'tail -f' command...

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 24, 2014, 01:03:32 pm »

Is it normal to have hundreds of rejects when generating a world with the "SMALL REGION" template?  Even with no modified settings at all (except end year), I get hundreds of rejects.  I got 259 of them in my most recent world, with only slight bumps to titans and civilizations.  It's not breaking (as far as I can see), but it's worrying me.

This happens because the "SMALL REGION" is looking for at least three mountain peaks, which are not that common using the standard settings.  Changing data/init/world_gen.txt and setting the [PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:#] to 1 instead of 3 will result in a lot fewer rejects.

You could even set it to a minimum requirement of zero peaks since mountain peaks don't do anything special in DF2014.

In order to troubleshoot rejects, you should turn on logging.  In your data/init/d_init.txt file, look for and set [LOG_MAP_REJECTS:YES].  Then you can look at map_rejection_log.txt after running world generation to find out why there were rejects.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 25, 2014, 05:54:00 pm »

In one of the worlds that I generated, there is a trade link on the map between a Goblin Fortress and a Dwarven Fortress.  The dwarven civ that owns the fortress has never been at war with the goblin civ, and a review of Legends Viewer shows both goblins and dwarves seemingly living side by side (goblins have settled, married other goblins, and even migrated to three other dwarven fortresses).

http://blog.wuphonsreach.org/2014/09/df2014-smaksmo-suttu-land-of-prophecy.html

Is this now a common occurrence in DF2014?  According to the embark screen, it doesn't seem like the goblins will send a caravan (a line of ------ in the Neighbors listing), even though there seems to be a trade link between the two civs.

So I'm guessing that those goblins will still siege if I settle near them?

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 26, 2014, 07:37:09 am »

The ----- means the site was taken over by another entity (usually necromancers) i think.

My question:
Is there anything i can do to speed up the training/taming process of cave animals?
I caught myself a jabberer some crocodiles and giant toads, and after years of training the best i got is a masterfully trained toad (the rest still exceptional and skillfully trained). And even if the toad is trained it doesn't go from masterfully trained to tame.
The training sessions are few and infrequent i don't know if assigning/unassigning trainers or just setting it to any trainer has any effect.

Arcani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I write books!
« Reply #531 on: September 26, 2014, 11:42:41 am »

Question:

Is it possible to gen a freezing savage neutral (as in not good and not evil) taiga?  If so, what animals are there?
I've Wiki'd it, but I'm confused because taiga and savage surroundings tend to have very different creatures therein.
Lux Arcana
Bucket of Love, the Love Bucket

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 26, 2014, 01:20:24 pm »

From reading the wiki it doesn't seem possible, but is there a way to guarantee bit.coal or lignite on your embark map? I've never been capable, ready, and lucky enough to have any at the same time(on fort #12 now.)

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 26, 2014, 02:09:53 pm »

Are the first two migrant waves affected by pop cap? Because the second one hasn't turned up (the trade caravan showed up before it, and I had set the pop cap to below the no. of dwarves I had), and it's summer of the second year.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

cue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 26, 2014, 04:05:40 pm »

How do I deconstruct a track stop? As in the one constructed under {b}{C}{S}. {d}{n} doesn't seem to work.

Figured it out. {q}{x}
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 04:10:32 pm by cue »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 26, 2014, 04:06:41 pm »

How do I deconstruct a track stop? As in the one constructed under [C]. [d][n] doesn't seem to work.
Cant you just smooth away tracks on natural rock?
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 26, 2014, 09:33:32 pm »

Are there any downsides in DF2014 to selling masterwork / masterpiece goods to the traders?  The wiki doesn't really say either way:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Item_quality

I vaguely remember in earlier versions that selling off masterwork items and letting them leave the map was a very bad thing.  But I've also seen comments recently that this is a good way to protect against dwarven meltdown due to accidental destruction of one of their masterworks.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 27, 2014, 06:24:48 am »

Is there anything i can do to speed up the training/taming process of cave animals?
I caught myself a jabberer some crocodiles and giant toads, and after years of training the best i got is a masterfully trained toad (the rest still exceptional and skillfully trained). And even if the toad is trained it doesn't go from masterfully trained to tame.

An animal that was caught in the wild can't be tamed all the way.  But its offspring will inherit the mother's tameness as a baseline, and can be tamed additionally starting there.  So, the offspring of a wild-caught critter could become fully tame.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 27, 2014, 08:22:27 am »

Are there any downsides in DF2014 to selling masterwork / masterpiece goods to the traders?  The wiki doesn't really say either way:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Item_quality

I vaguely remember in earlier versions that selling off masterwork items and letting them leave the map was a very bad thing.  But I've also seen comments recently that this is a good way to protect against dwarven meltdown due to accidental destruction of one of their masterworks.
No.  Actually selling masterpieces is perhaps the safest thing to do.  I doubt any harm can come to off-map items yet.  In 34.11 it was my regular practice to sell things before keas or kobolds nicked them.

Besides, its your ultimate goal to have a tone crafter producing 100% masterworks, right?  So its a thing you want to trade.
PKs DF Mod!

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 27, 2014, 09:02:08 am »

Are the first two migrant waves affected by pop cap? Because the second one hasn't turned up (the trade caravan showed up before it, and I had set the pop cap to below the no. of dwarves I had), and it's summer of the second year.
Also, is there a DFhack command to remove invaders from the map?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 03:41:56 pm by Illogical_Blox »
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 268