Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 439987 times)

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #540 on: October 04, 2014, 09:56:07 am »

I have a lot of galena on my map and therefore a lot of lead.  I have a double purpose for the lead: 1) train blacksmithing and 2)make trade-able goods.

What's blacksmithng task is worth the most per bar of metal?
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 04, 2014, 09:59:30 am »

I have a lot of galena on my map and therefore a lot of lead.  I have a double purpose for the lead: 1) train blacksmithing and 2)make trade-able goods.

What's blacksmithng task is worth the most per bar of metal?
Something that uses the least amount of it per item and makes whole stacks of items.  So.  Cheesing it would be coins or bolts.

Not chessing I suppose something else that is light and highly re-meltable.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Melt_item

Something on that list that has over 100% melting efficiency and is also know to be rather light.

Buckets, chains, and coins come to mind for lead.  Although I rather like lead statues, personally.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 04, 2014, 03:12:41 pm »

From reading the wiki it doesn't seem possible, but is there a way to guarantee bit.coal or lignite on your embark map? I've never been capable, ready, and lucky enough to have any at the same time(on fort #12 now.)

guarantee - no
however, coal and lignite are most common in sedimentary layers, so where rivers deposit the erosion from the mountains - yes, the world gen is that complex. Sandstone, chalk, etc. As a bonus, layers that are more likely to contain coal or lignite are also more likely to contain iron. As a bonus bonus, iirc, 3 out of 5 flux stones form sedimentary layers (1 exists as clusters and 1, marble, in deeper layers). As a negative, those sedimentary layers are also quite likely to contain aquifers.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 04, 2014, 06:28:38 pm »

How many Z-levels can the average invader climb up?  Such as the design where you have a dry moat?  Does making the walls of the dry moat out of stone blocks instead of just sand / loam / clay / rough stone help?

My guess is that in DF2014, 1Z deep moats are basically useless, no matter what material you make the walls out of.

My second guess is that 2Z deep moats with rough walls (whatever the layer is made out of) are almost, but not quite useless.

Which leads to my third guess, that the walls of a 2Z deep dry moat would need to be constructed stone block walls to prevent most escapes.  And if that dry moat is up against the wall of the courtyard, the courtyard wall should be at least 2Z tall and made out of stone blocks.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: October 05, 2014, 07:51:03 am »

Hey ho.  Is water hauling the bucket brigade?  Or does water hauling also include the water to feed prisoners?

Its time to update all my jobs in Dwarf Therapist.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 05, 2014, 12:15:04 pm »

Hey ho.  Is water hauling the bucket brigade?  Or does water hauling also include the water to feed prisoners?

Its time to update all my jobs in Dwarf Therapist.

I'm not certain, but I think that since feed/water is a separate labor under medical labors we can infer that it's a distinct labor from pond filling.

Does anyone know if a vampire can migrate to a fort if there are no vampire histfigs or gods giving out curses in a civ? Can out-of-thin-air migrants be vampires, or will they always be histfigs?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 05, 2014, 12:38:51 pm »

Does anyone know if a vampire can migrate to a fort if there are no vampire histfigs or gods giving out curses in a civ? Can out-of-thin-air migrants be vampires, or will they always be histfigs?

I read recently in my legends the story of a family.  A dwarf child was abducted by the gobbos, raise as a goblin, gave birth to a son, and died in battle.  The son grew up as a goblin, and married a dwarven wife from a dwarven civ.  He moved to a dwarven fort and nobody gave any cares about it.

So maybe, Im thinking, that if a dwarf raised as a goblin can migrate to a dwarven civ, forsaking his old membership in the process, a vampire on the lamb could also do that?  Migrate to a new civ?
PKs DF Mod!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 06, 2014, 10:00:03 am »

previously, if worldgen didnt give your civ any vampires, none would get to your fort. Now, no clue. Since now they'll actually be cast out from their home and on the move again while you're playing... no clue
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 06, 2014, 04:26:05 pm »

Also, is there a DFhack command to remove invaders from the map?

Hope I didn't break the quote.. I'd like to know this too.. For now I'll use the 'liquids' command to surround an enemy with obsidian and then douse him with lava.. Of course, this is ineffective for an 80+ undead siege :P Then again, I dumped a tile of raw lava on a cluster of three or four zombies and, besides that half of those did live, it also started a furious multi-z-level fire that nearly jumped my river and took out my fancy wooden fort ;)

Fire is much more invasive this time around..

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 06, 2014, 08:13:54 pm »

What is flammable about a wooden fort?  I thought constructed walls / floors were immune to fire?  Or have things changed in DF2014?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: October 07, 2014, 09:52:41 am »

No, they're still immune.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 08, 2014, 08:54:09 am »

Is there a fog of war-like mechanic to being notified now? My previous fort didn't notify me about a lycanthrope until it was nearly upon me (and thus it got right through my drawbridge defense), and the current one I wasn't notified at all (a caravan guard one-shotted it.)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 08, 2014, 09:13:56 am »

Is there a fog of war-like mechanic to being notified now? My previous fort didn't notify me about a lycanthrope until it was nearly upon me (and thus it got right through my drawbridge defense), and the current one I wasn't notified at all (a caravan guard one-shotted it.)
Sneaking has been revamped.  That includes fortress mode, but since you can see almost anything (and the player character does most of the sneaking in adventure mode) you may not notice it in fortress mode.

Werebeasts would 'spring from ambush' in previous versions.  Now they can fully attack from ambush, so I'm told.  See thread on Stealth WereElephant

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141173.msg5505888#msg5505888
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 09:17:46 am by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 08, 2014, 10:38:59 am »

Male birds inside glass window boxes are probably more necessary in DF2014 then previous versions.  Or pets attached to chains at key locations. 

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Defense_guide#Animals

I can't find the link to putting birds inside window rooms and whether that still works in DF2014.

Code: [Select]
W.W

Build all but one of the cardinal directions out of glass.  Pasture bird / critter in the center, then put a roof over top and fill in last wall of glass.

There was also something about pasturing birds / animals on top of grates that look down.[/code]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:45:07 am by wuphonsreach »

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 08, 2014, 10:47:37 am »

Can kittens be infected with the "were-beast" virus?  Can they throw tantrums?  Do they scare were-infected dwarves?

In my most recent fort I had a werebeast attack, it was beat down, but 2-3 more dwarves got infected (and changed at the next moon), bad moods were everywhere, and I had a lot of job cancellation messages that were basically "because of kitten".

I could never figure out which kitten was responsible.  Or whether the dwarf which got scared was one of the infected.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 268