Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440198 times)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #675 on: November 03, 2014, 12:39:04 pm »

Are you trying to save future caravans or get the gear from the destroyed ones?

-Future caravans can be helped along by controlling their spawn point and providing bridge secured access to you underground Trade Depot.

-The current one can be smothered in water, which will wash away the goop.  Also consider using migrants with boots and gloves (or shoes and mittens) and run them through a decontamination trench (a channel of water 3/7 of water or less) and into a stockpile room which you will flood after to wash off the gear.

Cavern not caravan!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: November 03, 2014, 01:09:55 pm »

You could cause a cave in above the area, which if engineered correctly will kill any FBs left in the area and decontaminate it at the same time.  This will have the unfortunate side effect of destroying any farms you have there, though you should be able to rebuild them.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: November 03, 2014, 01:18:07 pm »

You could cause a cave in above the area, which if engineered correctly will kill any FBs left in the area and decontaminate it at the same time.  This will have the unfortunate side effect of destroying any farms you have there, though you should be able to rebuild them.

The whole cavern is contaminated among other with deadly spittle, webs on deadly spittle and potentially another syndrome. It has been a FB hunting ground for a year or so. How do I decontaminate that?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: November 03, 2014, 01:20:06 pm »

The whole cavern is contaminated among other with deadly spittle, webs on deadly spittle and potentially another syndrome. It has been a FB hunting ground for a year or so. How do I decontaminate that?
Flood it, and wall the rest off.  You either flood it or drop natural walls on it.  Id also highly recommend a decon trench.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: November 03, 2014, 01:31:18 pm »

Flood it, and wall the rest off.  You either flood it or drop natural walls on it.  Id also highly recommend a decon trench.

This cavern is my only source of wood (evil desert)! And it used to be my main grazing area (dralthas and sheep don't have shoes). (I always had a decontamination trench in the entrance.)

Flooding it would result in an utterly toxic pond with several syndromes available in it, right? (Maybe this is something I should aim for not avoid.)

Suddenly feels like a megaproject in itself.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: November 03, 2014, 01:38:54 pm »

This cavern is my only source of wood (evil desert)! And it used to be my main grazing area (dralthas and sheep don't have shoes). (I always had a decontamination trench in the entrance.)

Flooding it would result in an utterly toxic pond with several syndromes available in it, right? (Maybe this is something I should aim for not avoid.)

Suddenly feels like a megaproject in itself.
you have to get priorities.  you want the wood and farmland in the caverns?  You gotta get the facemelting juice off the floor so you dont spread it.  Flood the caverns, make a drainage hole that flows off the map, wall off the worst areas with a dwarven sarcophagus, and make your decon trench.  Also consider even keeping a burrow just for the civilian cavern goers.  A decon pool to drop them into will also be good.  If any of the syndromes are that bad you do have to consider it.

Another possibility is to dig out artificial areas.  Trees need at least 2 zlevels, and farms/pastures one.  So dig out a huge area, wet it with water, and give funguis time to grow.

---

Spoiler: on the pond (click to show/hide)
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: November 03, 2014, 08:11:03 pm »

You could try sending in a hazmat squad and burrow them down there to clean it. Then decontaminate their clothing/armor afterwards in ‼magma‼ the power shower (decon pool.)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 08:14:07 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: November 05, 2014, 03:24:41 am »

Something has changed w/ forgotten beasts since I last played. I remember forgotten beast congregations in the deep, now it is total war - in fact they wiped each other out just before I managed to finish my traps. One of them is remembered (in slab) as slayer of forgotten beasts. (Since then one more showed up and was properly catched in a holding cell.)

I turned my whole fortress of 20 into a hazmat squad (conscripted to guarantee high boots, gloves etc.) made the decon trench a triple one for good measure and surprisingly a lot of cleaning jobs go on in the caverns (cleaning priority is much higher now, it seems), enough for farming (I know I could farm inside, but kind of wanted it to be outside), but I don't think it will be safe for unshoed grazers anytime soon - they always run around outside their pasture when a predator shows up. The FBs went over literally hundreds of critters of all sizes as well, incl. several giant cave spiders (i would have wanted to catch these in addition to the one I have), cave dragons etc. Only casualty (my blacksmith/metalcrafter) in the cavern clearing process was due to a malfunction of my magma dump in a major facepalm moment. (I guess it should either have a safety distance from the magma (mist) when dropping stuff into it or I should lock the room when dropping goes on.) - Thanks for the advice.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: November 05, 2014, 01:02:34 pm »

I've embarked in a location without weapons grade metal anywhere in sight, we haven't even found copper yet. (just gold gold gold gold gold platnium gold gold gold gold and a few bits of galena).

Galena does contain silver, which gets you silver hammers and silver bolts.  No armor though, unfortunately.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: November 05, 2014, 02:55:25 pm »

wood bolts will do in the beginning untill the enemies start wearing some more armor. Try to trade for metal, any metal, by the time enemies get tougher?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: November 05, 2014, 06:02:00 pm »

I'm having trouble with my still. It says I dont have any unrotten plants to brew with but I got barrels full with plumphelmets that I bought, what am I missing?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: November 06, 2014, 12:56:54 am »

The usual things to check:

1. Anything linked to the still?  Is the stockpile with the barrels linked anywhere else?
2. Are the barrels currently being hauled or possibly about to be hauled somewhere?
3. You don't have brewing turned off for plump helmets, do you?
4. There's an open path to the barrels and still?
5. Any burrows?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: November 06, 2014, 02:35:42 am »

The most common culprit for the still bug is #2 on Telgin's list. (and not so much a bug as a mechanic)  The helmets are in barrel that is currently on its way to the farm to add another mushroom to it.  or its actually at the still even after your Repeat job, but is still tasked to go back to the pile before its available again.  Or if you bought these then maybe they are still at the Depot, or en-route to a food pile.  In addition, If you have a full barrel of helmets and a single dwarf decides to hike 250 tiles to eat one of them then the entire barrel is tasked as busy for the duration of his walk there.

Hundred and one ways for this to happen basically, you will likely never eliminate it completely, but can manage it.  I find checking the 'J'obs list to be enlightening, lets you see who has tasked the barrel and exactly why.

I banned barrels in food piles that are inputs for brewers.  If you have a version where you can specify the alcohol being made then alternating 2 different drinks on repeat avoids some of this

Fixing the same issue with seeds can be much trickier.

Re: the contaminated caverns.  Dont flood it with water, use magma.  Not only is it 1000% more dwarfy but water isnt gonna clean up properly, you'll likely just end up with contaminants on the walls of your lake, which never shift.  Remember, water pushes the contaminant, magma burns it.  And of course if your lake is a real lake (no edge contact) then the gunk is just gonna sit there.

Using dorf-power (with boots/gloves) and decon trenches is a fine idea, but not suitable for all syndromes, some real nasty stuff is just too fast-acting.  Also, as above, you'll get the contaminants lodging in the trench walls (unless that's changed with the fixes to waterflow and item-pushing, no clue).  Now while contaminants in walls seem to be neutralised (i dont think dwarves can touch it), it still looks messy.

edit: just noticed its your only source of wood, thats gonna be fun, i'd still burn it all tbh, not much else gonna properly clean house.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 02:51:46 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: November 06, 2014, 03:59:43 am »

Re: the contaminated caverns.  Dont flood it with water, use magma.  Not only is it 1000% more dwarfy but water isnt gonna clean up properly, you'll likely just end up with contaminants on the walls of your lake, which never shift.  Remember, water pushes the contaminant, magma burns it.  And of course if your lake is a real lake (no edge contact) then the gunk is just gonna sit there.

Using dorf-power (with boots/gloves) and decon trenches is a fine idea, but not suitable for all syndromes, some real nasty stuff is just too fast-acting.  Also, as above, you'll get the contaminants lodging in the trench walls (unless that's changed with the fixes to waterflow and item-pushing, no clue).  Now while contaminants in walls seem to be neutralised (i dont think dwarves can touch it), it still looks messy.

Dorf power decontamination: I had no problem so far, apart from my unfortunate accident in the magma dump. I have to be very careful when I start replacing clothing, I reckon. Cleaning jobs appear to have a much higher priority now. The trench to the cavern is almost instantly cleared and even around the caverns they do clean a lot for now. That said, it probably won't be a safe place for grazers anytime soon.

Magma cleaning: Never did large scale magma works, what would be the results? (Does it clean walls or is it just that it does not shove - certainly a lot of colour is already on the walls from all the FBs fighting here for a year or two? Will it remove mud? What happens to the lake (no edge contact) - obsidian or steam and transformation to magma lake?)

I wonder why there isn't more to be read about decontamination works of other people. Is no one dwelling in and around open caverns?

CatKate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: November 06, 2014, 04:58:51 am »

Hey guys,

weird things are happening.

1st: I got the warning from the elves about not cutting any more trees. I didn't. The elven caravan left without incident. When I look at the diplomacy screen, my parent civ is in a state of war now. Is the "warning" message in truth already the "too late" message? Or does cutting mushroom trees aggravate the elves, too?

2nd: Afterwards I had my first siege, finally. It was a "a vile force of darkness has arrived" type siege. There were only eleven humans, although I do not have war with the humans and although I expected the "vile force" to be the message for a goblin siege. a) Is that normal that goblin sieges contain no goblins? Btw, there was the human caravan shortly thereafter. b) I can only engrave a slab for one of the now-dead humans. Is that normal, too?

3rd: Concerning this human caravan: Somehow the wagon didn't manage to pass through my gate, which is nothing more than a three-space-wide opening in my wall. Several other wagons of other caravans managed without a problem. Many questions arise from this: a) Why did the wagon die? I don't have any reports of fighting, and there are really none of the invaders left ... b) Where are the other two wagons? I cannot find them - are they dead, too? I can only engrave a slab for a single wagon, but that doesn't need to mean anything I guess (according to 2b ...). c) Will this mean war in the end, because the caravan is virtually completely dead? d) How do I get rid of the caravan guards wandering through my fortress, will they leave or suddenly attack me or do I need to kill them? And, finally, e) the human diplomat (I'm not sure I ever got a diplomat from the humans or elves ...) is a vampire. Will a vampire not belonging to my citizens also kill my dwarf?

Questions and questions ...
Hoping for your insights!

Cheers,
Cat
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 268