Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438919 times)

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1035 on: December 16, 2014, 04:37:28 pm »

So I've settle on a area with LOTS of gold and silver and only copper, as far as the eye can see......so I need to import combat metals, any ideas on what is the best way to import lots of metal (iron+) for the lowest cost?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: December 16, 2014, 04:48:46 pm »

So I've settle on a area with LOTS of gold and silver and only copper, as far as the eye can see......so I need to import combat metals, any ideas on what is the best way to import lots of metal (iron+) for the lowest cost?

Requesting ore from the liaison is a viable strategy. Three types of iron ore x 4 boulders each x 4 bars each = 48 iron bars / caravan. You can also request steel and iron bars and anvils (though those are significantly pricier).

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: December 16, 2014, 04:52:17 pm »

Requesting ore from the liaison is a viable strategy. Three types of iron ore x 4 boulders each x 4 bars each = 48 iron bars / caravan. You can also request steel and iron bars and anvils (though those are significantly pricier).
And Tin.  Dont underestimate the power of bronze.  Grab some tin and smelt some bronze.  Just remember that the flexible shirts and leggings are better than the rigid breatsplates.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: December 16, 2014, 04:55:29 pm »

And Tin.  Dont underestimate the power of bronze.  Grab some tin and smelt some bronze.  Just remember that the flexible shirts and leggings are better than the rigid breatsplates.

Bronze chain beats steel chain?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: December 16, 2014, 04:57:33 pm »

No, not at all.  But its not bad in a pinch.  You could make the steel weapons and breastplates, while using bronze shirts.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: December 16, 2014, 05:00:45 pm »

No, not at all.  But its not bad in a pinch.  You could make the steel weapons and breastplates, while using bronze shirts.

My place also has a elf's lifetime supply of flux stone, I've got marble, granite, and dolomite.

Pink Photon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: December 16, 2014, 06:14:43 pm »

Is this specific for bronze? I was under the impression that breastplates/greaves were better than mail/leggings in general.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: December 16, 2014, 06:17:10 pm »

Is this specific for bronze? I was under the impression that breastplates/greaves were better than mail/leggings in general.
Yup.  Specifically bronze.

afa breastplates>mail shirts:

enh.  You can wear both, and mail shirts cover more than breastplates.  They dont do much for blunt protection, though.
PKs DF Mod!

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: December 16, 2014, 06:28:48 pm »

Yup.  Specifically bronze.

afa breastplates>mail shirts:

enh.  You can wear both, and mail shirts cover more than breastplates.  They dont do much for blunt protection, though.

Of course what idiot sends their melee dwarves to war wearing only a breatplate, knights didn't wear mail underneath plate armor for shit's and giggles.

Pink Photon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: December 16, 2014, 08:05:51 pm »

Of course what idiot sends their melee dwarves to war wearing only a breatplate, knights didn't wear mail underneath plate armor for shit's and giggles.

Sometimes it is better to wear less armor than more armor, because armor slows you down. Non-armor users tend to get slowed down significantly if wearing more than 1 piece of armor with 15-25 units of weight. This includes items such as mail shirts, greaves, and breastplates...Wearing a combination of 1 pair of metal gauntlets, 1 pair of metal boots, 1 metal helmet, and 1 metal mail shirt gives an armor level 2 layer metal armor that covers all areas without sacrificing speed due to encumbrance on non-armor users.

Source

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: December 17, 2014, 09:54:21 am »

Does anybody know why I can appoint nobles in my fort?  No commander, no bookkeeper, no medical dwarf within the first year.  Stymies my progress to not even have a broker. :/
PKs DF Mod!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: December 17, 2014, 10:03:13 am »

Does anybody know why I can appoint nobles in my fort?  No commander, no bookkeeper, no medical dwarf within the first year.  Stymies my progress to not even have a broker. :/

Was that a 'can't'? Anyway, not a clue. But have you checked you have the standard keybindings? Also it would help if you explain exactly in what way you can't appoint them. Do you get the list of 'n'obles if you press 'n'?
()==[:::::::::::::>

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: December 17, 2014, 10:04:03 am »

'No reasonable candidates'  Its a bit nerve wracking, because I usually have a military up by the time the traders in fall leave, and a bookkeeper up as well.
PKs DF Mod!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: December 17, 2014, 10:43:05 am »

'No reasonable candidates'  Its a bit nerve wracking, because I usually have a military up by the time the traders in fall leave, and a bookkeeper up as well.

That's a new one to me. There is a possible, stupid, solution, though. If you retire your fortress the AI will assign nobles automatically. And then when you unretire your fortress, it will crash next caravan :P
()==[:::::::::::::>

Bainin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: December 17, 2014, 12:12:26 pm »

id like to ask a question abaout adventure mode how do i report my actions now the whole communication changed. =P also the game dont seem to want to kill me as badly as it used to.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 268