Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438844 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1260 on: February 11, 2015, 03:47:48 pm »

Migrants will be created to satiate your fort if needed.

Nope. A truly extinct civilization will not generate migrants beyond the two hard-coded waves, nor will they ever send a trade caravan or liaison. It is currently not known how to distinguish between "extinct" and "nearly extinct" civilizations.
[citation needed], especially considering migrants are no longer hard-coded.

I have my population cap set to 60, but my fort has continued to get migration waves and I'm now hanging out at 100 dwarves.

What gives?  Is this gonna keep increasing and ignoring my cap?
Did you restart the fort after changing the cap?  Is your absolute cap set, or just the soft cap?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: February 11, 2015, 04:42:12 pm »

Migrants will be created to satiate your fort if needed.

Nope. A truly extinct civilization will not generate migrants beyond the two hard-coded waves, nor will they ever send a trade caravan or liaison. It is currently not known how to distinguish between "extinct" and "nearly extinct" civilizations.
[citation needed], especially considering migrants are no longer hard-coded.

cite=me: ten+ game years and not a single additional migrant, caravan, or liaison. (I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person to mention experiencing this on the forums either.) Do you have a cite for "migrants are no longer hard-coded"?

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: February 11, 2015, 05:43:24 pm »

Glacier embark without non-ice water. Can I melt, partially drain, freeze, remelt - as a "water farm"?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: February 11, 2015, 10:01:25 pm »

Theoretically, yes.  Any depth of water will freeze to a full ice wall, whether it's 1/7 or 7/7, and any ice wall will melt into a full 7/7 depth water, so you can essentially create water in this way.  Cave-ins can force melting behaviour, but aren't easily recyclable. The easiest way is thus probably pumping magma into the floor immediately below it, then letting the magma drain out to re-freeze it, but I've never set up magma melts before. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:03:08 pm by Culise »

Drengor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: February 12, 2015, 12:21:16 am »

Is there a utility just for having the game log up on another monitor or in a window outside of the game so you can always see it without using the announcement window? Can't just open it in notepad, because it won't show changes made to it real-time.

There is.  It's in the current lazy newb pack, called 'Announcement Filter'.  As the name suggests, you can filter which announcements it shows.

Failing that, you can always get the tail utility and open a command prompt and tail -f the logfile.. that will echo the last few lines of the logfile and continue to display any new lines added to it.

Drengor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: February 12, 2015, 12:38:30 am »

I think higher brewing skill means you get more booze from one brewing - I've seen anywhere between 5 and 25 urists of booze in one barrel, and I think you can't put multiple brewings into one barrel because you need an empty barrel or pot to brew in the first place.

Um, no the variable stack size is 5x the stacksize of what you brewed... if you have good farmers, or fertilize your field, you'll get larger stacks to brew.  Brewing that Fisher Berry[4] will give you 20...

Higher brewing skill does mean you brew faster, however.  Losing your master brewer may mean you need to build another still and have two brewers going for a while if your fort is large enough.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: February 12, 2015, 04:24:12 am »

Are constructed fortifications climbable? I haven't seen one in adventurer mode to test.
You can try to start new fort, build some walls, fortifications and so on and then switch to adventurer mode and see how it goes.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: February 14, 2015, 09:19:53 am »

Was children deconstructing walls removed from the game - or is this due to using DwarfTherapist at the same time?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: February 14, 2015, 09:23:30 am »

Was children deconstructing walls removed from the game - or is this due to using DwarfTherapist at the same time?
It was made its own labor, so children and nobles won't do it by default.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: February 15, 2015, 01:27:23 pm »

How many months of alfalfa meals does it take to reduce fortress obesity?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: February 16, 2015, 12:19:09 am »

Theoretically, yes.  Any depth of water will freeze to a full ice wall, whether it's 1/7 or 7/7, and any ice wall will melt into a full 7/7 depth water, so you can essentially create water in this way.
That's changed for arena mode at least, with the game now keeping track of the pre-freeze water level.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Antikythera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: February 16, 2015, 02:44:11 am »

I had a good chuckle at that.

then I thought "my dwarves would choose to eat vermin over stinkin' alfalfa"

then I thought "oh crap. is he serious? is fort obesity an actual problem I have to watch out for? my dwarves have been eating lavish meals for years. I hope they aren't all going to drop dead from heart attacks"

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: February 16, 2015, 08:48:04 am »

I had a good chuckle at that.

then I thought "my dwarves would choose to eat vermin over stinkin' alfalfa"

then I thought "oh crap. is he serious? is fort obesity an actual problem I have to watch out for? my dwarves have been eating lavish meals for years. I hope they aren't all going to drop dead from heart attacks"

Oh god Toady please implement this (lifestyle diseases).  Even in a limited form, it would totally change the game.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: February 16, 2015, 08:52:12 am »

Ugh, I'd rather not.  I've struggled with my weight my entire life, and I don't want to be reminded of that in a game I play in order to get away from my troubles.

On topic, what's the difference between a mangled and a mutilated corpse?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: February 16, 2015, 09:07:30 am »

Oh god Toady please implement this (lifestyle diseases).  Even in a limited form, it would totally change the game.
Any fort I've ever had, after a few years of lavish meals everyone gets the "hanging rolls of lard" description, even the ones that stay strong and tough. I'm seeing some that are skinny yet fat? I don't think it's a health hazard in gameplay yet, but the weight is probably an occupational hazard for some. It's kind of disgusting watching these rugged frontiersdwarves get bloated and soft with comfort and luxury.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 268