Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440191 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1290 on: February 19, 2015, 10:17:32 am »

Is there a guaranteed way to get  sieges in DF2014? It seems I embark constantly on peacful locations.

Is that enough to be sure to get sieges? :/
In theory, and in previous versions; yes.

Goblins will come eventually.  and if you piss off the humans they will too.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: February 19, 2015, 11:00:19 am »

Is there a guaranteed way to get  sieges in DF2014? It seems I embark constantly on peacful locations.
No. But after more than like 1M of wealth, 100 dwarves and 5 years goblins usually come. And if you angry diplomats/traders of humans or elves, they should come too.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: February 19, 2015, 11:18:36 am »

Does restricting a workshop prevent haulers from moving items to stockpile from it?

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: February 19, 2015, 01:54:23 pm »

Does restricting a workshop prevent haulers from moving items to stockpile from it?
I dont believe so I'll check rite now
Nope they haul it.
Haha I made the workshop restricted to a baby.

My Question: its a big one
I made 3 gabbro block rooms stacked ontop of eachother and suspended it above a volcano after I sealed a crew, food, tools, materials, pet trolls and some caged plump helmet men
I dropped it having a lever inside it so an adventurer can use it.
And it deconstructed upon hitting lava killing everyone in flaming glory.
Wtf did I F up
Please help this terranaught
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: February 19, 2015, 02:11:01 pm »

You are not going to be able to construct and drop a diving bell for your dwarves.  It will not work.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: February 19, 2015, 02:16:16 pm »

Aww shit.
I had hoped asking here would help.
Thanks pisskop
Not dwarves humans btw.
Would a natural stone room survive a drop? Or is it just how cave ins work?
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: February 19, 2015, 03:02:09 pm »

Okay, thanks guys!
Pardon for my mistakes
english isn't my native language

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: February 19, 2015, 03:49:00 pm »

Aww shit.
Thanks pisskop
Not dwarves humans btw.

In short, that's how cave-ins work. If you drop a construction, it deconstructs and you get a jumble of blocks/rocks. If you drop natural rock, it'll compress and fill up all contained open space. Any passengers inside will be killed instantly, no chance of survival. Anyone standing on top of a caving-in construction will fall normally, which is rarely healthy.

More than you ever wanted to know about cave-ins:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cave-in

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: February 20, 2015, 01:25:52 am »

Aww shit.
Thanks pisskop
Not dwarves humans btw.

In short, that's how cave-ins work. If you drop a construction, it deconstructs and you get a jumble of blocks/rocks. If you drop natural rock, it'll compress and fill up all contained open space. Any passengers inside will be killed instantly, no chance of survival. Anyone standing on top of a caving-in construction will fall normally, which is rarely healthy.

More than you ever wanted to know about cave-ins:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cave-in
Cave-ins are, in a word, pancaking.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

CatKate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: February 20, 2015, 03:56:02 am »

Hey guys,

in my current game there are no hostile creatures. Or rather, there are, but they are not tagged hostile and behave just like usual wildlife. I read that there was a bug; however this continues now for some version upgrades. Currently have .40.24 and still going on. The fortress started on version 40.15, maybe?

Is there any chance to make these creatures hostile again? Or is the only way to retire and start a new fortress (urgh)?

Thanks for your help!
Cheers,
Cat

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: February 20, 2015, 06:03:32 am »

Since statue gardens and memorial halls do not have an overall room quality (Royal, Decent, etc), would it be ok to designate all of them in a single room? Perhaps together with the barracks to train observer also.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: February 20, 2015, 12:44:51 pm »

I am in an evil rainless desert biome, slowly colonizing the surface. If I water the aboveground area is there any chance natural growth will occur to start surface farming? (Or an area at z-1?) Sadly elves and humans declared war decades ago for unspecific reasons, so no opportunity to get seeds from them.

Another question: how can I handle wax properly? I have a stockpile for pressed honey bee wax cake, but a lot of wax prefers hanging around in random pots in completely different stockpiles (that wouldn't even accept it).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 04:12:15 pm by taptap »

drone1230

• Bay Watcher
  • Feel the might of my epi-pen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: February 21, 2015, 01:51:52 am »

I've recently been trying to dig some pits for my current fort, but I've run into a major problem. I can't seem to dig one without stranding the miner at the bottom, forcing him to dig himself out, but this isn't always desirable. I have a general idea of how channeling works, but I still haven't been able to solve this problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Just when you think you're good to go, you run into an undead camel that is a master of kung fu

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: February 21, 2015, 04:36:05 am »

I've recently been trying to dig some pits for my current fort, but I've run into a major problem. I can't seem to dig one without stranding the miner at the bottom, forcing him to dig himself out, but this isn't always desirable. I have a general idea of how channeling works, but I still haven't been able to solve this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Channel out a pit with an utility stair next to it. Stair should be as tall as the pit.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: February 21, 2015, 09:22:14 am »

I am in an evil rainless desert biome, slowly colonizing the surface. If I water the aboveground area is there any chance natural growth will occur to start surface farming? (Or an area at z-1?) Sadly elves and humans declared war decades ago for unspecific reasons, so no opportunity to get seeds from them.

I haven't dealt with deserts of late, but they have very little natural growth and normally no naturally-occurring shrubs. You might be stuck having to wait for humans and elves to calm down again.

Another question: how can I handle wax properly? I have a stockpile for pressed honey bee wax cake, but a lot of wax prefers hanging around in random pots in completely different stockpiles (that wouldn't even accept it).

Are those the actual "honey bee wax cake"s? Those definitely belong in food stockpiles under "pressed material". Dwarfs shouldn't put them anywhere else, although they can sometimes be tardy removing them from a barrel after stockpile settings have been adjusted. I find it easy to confuse the pressed wax cakes with "honey bee wax honeycomb", the unpressed item. That one is, strangely enough, a "tool" (finished good) of "wax" material and is frequently crammed into finished goods bins, along with ropes, clothes, crafts and uninstalled hive- and nestboxes.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 268