Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 439998 times)

Rusty_knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1305 on: February 21, 2015, 10:01:05 am »

"Mangled" and "mutilated" corpses are non-butcherable?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:30:57 am by Rusty_knight »
Crazy-ass weirdo beaver is my totem animal!

Drengor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: February 21, 2015, 10:29:57 am »

I've recently been trying to dig some pits for my current fort, but I've run into a major problem. I can't seem to dig one without stranding the miner at the bottom, forcing him to dig himself out, but this isn't always desirable. I have a general idea of how channeling works, but I still haven't been able to solve this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm sure there's lots of ways to do this, but the simplest that comes to mind is to dig stairs down, then remove the stairs starting from the bottom.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: February 21, 2015, 10:31:34 am »

Ptw
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: February 21, 2015, 02:50:20 pm »

I've recently been trying to dig some pits for my current fort, but I've run into a major problem. I can't seem to dig one without stranding the miner at the bottom, forcing him to dig himself out, but this isn't always desirable.

If you're playing the v0.40 branch, your miner *may* climb out of the hole he dug if you let him sit there a while. Make sure you're done digging though; they'll never climb back in to continue work.

"Mangled" and "mutilated" corpses are non-butcherable?

Nope. Corpses of (friendly) stray animals are never butcherable. Corpses of "intelligent" creatures are never butcherable. Corpses of small creatures are sometimes butcherable (depending on whether they are large enough to produce something). A small creature's corpse may become unbutcherable when damaged if it is no longer large enough to produce anything (like a headless buzzard). 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 02:56:13 pm by Loci »

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: February 21, 2015, 04:33:43 pm »

I am currently playing one big world and the liaison brought news about one fort. What is the best way to find out where it is located? Legends entry of fort neither includes a map nor names the region. Is there a better way (without 3rd party tools) to find given site then just starting new fort and going around map, checking all forts shown?
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: February 21, 2015, 04:45:06 pm »

I haven't dealt with deserts of late, but they have very little natural growth and normally no naturally-occurring shrubs. You might be stuck having to wait for humans and elves to calm down again.

Are those the actual "honey bee wax cake"s? Those definitely belong in food stockpiles under "pressed material". Dwarfs shouldn't put them anywhere else, although they can sometimes be tardy removing them from a barrel after stockpile settings have been adjusted. I find it easy to confuse the pressed wax cakes with "honey bee wax honeycomb", the unpressed item. That one is, strangely enough, a "tool" (finished good) of "wax" material and is frequently crammed into finished goods bins, along with ropes, clothes, crafts and uninstalled hive- and nestboxes.

I once had a desert embark that was just very dry with no rain for ten years, but when it rained the desert started to bloom. (So I tried to force rain with dfhack to test this, but the land remains barren.) Strawberries in the glasshouse grow fine, however.

The wax is honey bee wax cake and a dozen or so was carried to the wax stockpile, but most of it is stuck in a new booze stockpile (with mead allowed).

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: February 21, 2015, 05:55:51 pm »

After more then a (game time) year of play I have found my fort is from other dwarven civilization than the intended one. Can fort rebel and change its civilization? What about those insurrection mechanics in Adventurer mode? Or do I need to abandon the fort and reclaim it with group from the desirer civ? Where in reclaim can I then pick which civ I want to use? Or is there an other way?
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: February 21, 2015, 07:04:28 pm »

This is probably a stupid question, but if you build a horizontal axle across a carved track, will the minecart pass through it, or smash it to pieces? Less stupid question: if the latter, would the impact harm any riders?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: February 22, 2015, 01:59:46 am »

Just tested. It will ride through, which I found disappointing.

Normally if a minecart hits a solid object it will eject the rider.

Now that stupid dwarf is riding down the mountain side like he's at some sort of amusement park. Then he brings it back to its stop and rides down again. Not a bad megaproject idea, actually.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: February 22, 2015, 04:44:05 am »

This is probably a stupid question, but if you build a horizontal axle across a carved track, will the minecart pass through it, or smash it to pieces? Less stupid question: if the latter, would the impact harm any riders?
One can imagine in some mod the rider does need to duck or xe gets hit by that axle and falls out while the minecart continues on. One could train Dodger and Observation skills this way.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: February 22, 2015, 10:23:44 am »

Actually, that suits what I'm trying to do, thanks. I'm running power lines along a transit system, and a in a few places I don't have room to connect the gears except across the tracks. Conveniently there's a few stretches of rock along the sand floor. I would've tested by now, except my engravers are partying all winter.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: February 22, 2015, 03:11:15 pm »

Minecarts will roll past almost all buildings. Only walls and proper door-type buildings can stop them (doors, floodgates, bridges, grates, hatches; i'm probably forgetting something). Everything else will be ignored completely, even buildings that dwarfs cannot walk through - a dwarf can't _walk_ past a statue or through blocked workshop tiles, but they can _drive_ past/through them.

Thinking of which, that could be a useful way to keep dwarfs out of minecart routes - just set up a pair of statues, one on each end of the interdicted track.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 03:17:54 pm by Larix »

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: February 23, 2015, 06:13:11 am »

Thinking of which, that could be a useful way to keep dwarfs out of minecart routes - just set up a pair of statues, one on each end of the interdicted track.
Would using two statues (or other similar walk-blocking drive-allowing object) on each end instead of one be safer? As units can dodge to tile with statue, they could then get out of it on the other side... Would minecart then need more speed to be able to get through this double statue?
(noted by jwoodward48df)

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: February 23, 2015, 06:28:17 am »

Would using two statues (or other similar walk-blocking drive-allowing object) on each end instead of one be safer? As units can dodge to tile with statue, they could then get out of it on the other side... Would minecart then need more speed to be able to get through this double statue?

Doubt Larix puts barracks near minecart tracks :)

Is there any science done on water losses due to evaporation in dwarven reactors? Never see this mentioned anywhere, but it clearly is an issue in my fort (and it is a significant amount).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:46:46 am by taptap »

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: February 23, 2015, 07:30:45 am »

Will meat butchered from animals bitten by were-beast infect my dwarves?
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 268