Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440023 times)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1425 on: March 17, 2015, 04:45:03 pm »

Is this possible? Or is the hospital autostocking fixed enough to trust to it?
I haven't had any problems with it in the recent versions.

Well, they still love to stock the hospital with adamantine thread, which I find mildly annoying, but it works in general.

Did putting cabinets/chests in my dwarf's tombs generate a bunch of unnecessary hauling jobs? Would they have just put their items in their rooms otherwise, or is there a limit to how many items they can fit in each container?

Yes, yes, and yes. Chests are fine; put them wherever you like. Cabinets are buggy in that dwarves accumulate ever-growing piles of cast-off clothing. There is a maximum amount of storage per cabinet, but for FPS reasons you should probably clean out their cabinets regularly.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: March 17, 2015, 04:53:48 pm »

What is an ideal strategy w/ demigod on adv mode to actually do stuff w/out grinding? Any specif worldgen info?
One wheel short of a wagon

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: March 18, 2015, 04:16:11 am »

What units can get skills upgraded via combat? Humanoids, surely. Werebeasts? Undead? Even wild animals?
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: March 18, 2015, 08:17:07 am »

Anything that has the tags [INTELLIGENT] or [CAN_LEARN] can increase their skills. I don't know about werebeasts, since they are hardcoded and randomly generated. Many humanoid creatures are intelligent though, and undead may be able to, since they are animated version of their base creature, and may retain their learner status.

Most wild animals are not capable of learning combat skills.

Though not all creatures can increase their skills, all creatures can increase their attributes through combat.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: March 18, 2015, 09:55:52 am »

What causes tragedy/trauma resistance? I have one soldier who is a hardened individual, but I don't see anything in her history that would account for it. Her discipline is as high as anyone in her unit, not as high as the commander, who actually has very low bravery, anxiety and stress resistance and isn't hardened. Her own bravery and anxiety resistance are slightly below.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: March 18, 2015, 10:28:30 am »

first of all, I love that you have a coward as your commander. secondly, I believe tragedy (deaths, injury, etc) causes hardening and the more you're exposed to it, the more you become hardened. I also think that personality traits/emotional attributes can accelerate that process, but I can't really prove that and it's mostly a theory of mine. But it would explain why some people become hardened more quickly than others.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: March 18, 2015, 11:08:54 am »

Using DF2014, latest version of LNP 40.24 r7

I can't get my GCS (Wild Animal) to shoot webs.
I followed the wiki, both versions of silk farming.

I q-j-x the cage with the GCS. Link lever, and Pull to release GCS.

I tried combination of door "forbidden, pass passable" or "forbidden, not pet passable" to no effect.
I tried bridges to raise breaking LOS.
I tried chaining Goose (tame) as bait - no web shooting happens.
I tried chaining Trundle (hostile) as bait - no web shooting happens.
I tried stationing a dwarf as bait - no web shooting happens.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: March 18, 2015, 02:55:57 pm »

Your spider needs to be standing directly next to (the only) fortification, and your bait dwarf needs to move within ~4 tiles of the spider. Using animals as bait no longer works. If you're still having problems, a screenshot would be helpful.

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: March 18, 2015, 04:36:22 pm »

So my duke became king when my fortress has only 26 dwarves. I thought you needed to be at least 80 dwarves to have a king?

I did an export and my civ still has the other 2 sites besides my own with healthy populations of dwarves and sheep, though they both lost about ~10 dwarves since worldgen.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: March 18, 2015, 08:30:39 pm »

So my duke became king when my fortress has only 26 dwarves. I thought you needed to be at least 80 dwarves to have a king?

I did an export and my civ still has the other 2 sites besides my own with healthy populations of dwarves and sheep, though they both lost about ~10 dwarves since worldgen.
Not by succession.

The king is dead! Long live the king!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: March 19, 2015, 07:11:23 am »

Two questions - How to root out Vampires if any shows up at my fort?

and

What is the best mods for improving the combat in the game? not like a massive overhaul but like the old fortress defense mod of ye olde 0.34. More sieges, more enemies (that are harder to kill too!), that kind of thing. i like no trap forts that are only defended by the military and love a challenge

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: March 19, 2015, 09:07:14 am »

and

What is the best mods for improving the combat in the game? not like a massive overhaul but like the old fortress defense mod of ye olde 0.34. More sieges, more enemies (that are harder to kill too!), that kind of thing. i like no trap forts that are only defended by the military and love a challenge

From various readings thus far, select an embark spot where goblin civs can path to your fortress, no brook/rivers on the way, no mountains probably. 

An instant challenge is necro tower neighbor, but then undead is must more OP. 

Terrifying biomes that reanimate, even sheared sheep wool will re-animate.  Although fun, it's rediculous when dwarves can't hit an animated hair because it's too small.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: March 19, 2015, 10:36:52 am »

first of all, I love that you have a coward as your commander.
His Bravery is the lowest I've ever seen, but he's always had the highest Discipline, so it doesn't seem to slow him down. He may be terrified and traumatized in combat and horrified by death, but he still moves and strikes decisively and goes right back to training. Discipline really does trump all.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: March 19, 2015, 04:34:34 pm »

and

From various readings thus far, select an embark spot where goblin civs can path to your fortress, no brook/rivers on the way, no mountains probably. 

An instant challenge is necro tower neighbor, but then undead is must more OP. 

Terrifying biomes that reanimate, even sheared sheep wool will re-animate.  Although fun, it's rediculous when dwarves can't hit an animated hair because it's too small.

I haven't played for a little while, but aren't goblins basically food for high caliber dwarves? I'll have to try to see if i can find a goblin civ next to an undead tower though. the combination sounds absolutely !!fun!!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: March 19, 2015, 08:10:52 pm »

Tiger iron is neither tiger nor iron. So what is this?

A bug or a pun?
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 268