Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438827 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1860 on: July 08, 2015, 11:02:59 pm »

Do bridges prevent (evil) rain from falling to the ground below them?
And if so, do they still block rain while open? (Because the tiles below are still considered "inside".)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: July 09, 2015, 07:58:49 am »

Bridges dont turn outside tiles 'inside' iirc.

I think since my rain is only dangerous to critters smaller than dwarves Ill just have to channel an area and bridge it. then refloor it.

theres gonna be soo many hospital visits
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: July 09, 2015, 09:05:42 am »

I'm pretty sure they (and other buildings) do. You can't have a working windmill protected by a bridge.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 09:07:43 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: July 09, 2015, 02:48:18 pm »

I think i've read this before, but i just want to be sure:

Does fortifications prevent climbing in Dwarf Mode?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: July 09, 2015, 03:55:09 pm »

They are the first line of defense against it, but they alone do not seem to be enough.

Also recommended to build walls 2 z-levels high. (I've seen people say to build the fortifications off overhangs 2 tiles out - don't know if that's ~necessary~, but it couldn't hurt.)

The only real prevention is a smoothed natural stone wall.

(And don't forget that some creatures can jump, up to across a 2-tile gap.)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: July 09, 2015, 03:56:09 pm »

AFAIK it is supposed to but currently it does not. And creatures can jump through fortification sometimes, even when those fortifications are not submerged.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: July 09, 2015, 03:58:58 pm »

AFAIK it is supposed to but currently it does not. And creatures can jump through fortification sometimes, even when those fortifications are not submerged.
Well, shit, i might just build some overhangs.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: July 09, 2015, 04:35:27 pm »

What are all of these new metals, like flickering metal, singing metal, clear blue metal, and frosty metal. What exactly are these metals? I found them in the arena object list while looking for adamantine and messing around
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: July 09, 2015, 04:43:07 pm »

Why does magma glass furnace say it needs magma one tile lower under one of eight tiles when some of them are not valid for it?

Counting
I first put the hole to the lever below with magma on 1 and it worked. For the next furnace I put it on 3 and it can't be placed there.

Am I doing something wrong or that access to magma under any of those 8 tiles on the rim in fact does not work for all eight but just some of them? Maybe because built glass furnace has symbol "]" in tile 3?
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: July 09, 2015, 04:44:01 pm »

What are all of these new metals, like flickering metal, singing metal, clear blue metal, and frosty metal. What exactly are these metals? I found them in the arena object list while looking for adamantine and messing around
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They're better than steel, but not as good as adamantine (they are 2/5 as strong and equally rigid)

Why does magma glass furnace say it needs magma one tile lower under one of eight tiles when some of them are not valid for it?

Counting
I first put the hole to the lever below with magma on 1 and it worked. For the next furnace I put it on 3 and it can't be placed there.

Am I doing something wrong or that access to magma under any of those 8 tiles on the rim in fact does not work for all eight but just some of them? Maybe because built glass furnace has symbol "]" in tile 3?

AFAIK 5 is the only one that is actually wrong (since they need to stand there).

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: July 09, 2015, 04:50:34 pm »

Counting

AFAIK 5 is the only one that is actually wrong (since they need to stand there).
Now it works. I now think I was trying to put just Glass furnace and not Magma glass furnace there, that's why it said the site is blocked by a hole in the corner. -.-
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 05:28:46 pm by Detros »
(noted by jwoodward48df)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: July 10, 2015, 04:27:22 pm »

I'm pretty sure they (and other buildings) do. You can't have a working windmill protected by a bridge.

Okay.  So it is >.<  Now I have a random disconnected room with a roof cieling thats drentched in flithy sludge
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: July 10, 2015, 10:22:51 pm »

I have a version Question:

Is the current version of Dwarf Fortress stable, without many sudden crashes? If not, what could I possibly do to make it so?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: July 10, 2015, 10:25:03 pm »

its pretty stable in my experience.
PKs DF Mod!

KirigStonebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: July 10, 2015, 11:42:05 pm »

Is it now normal for digging out a wall to leave behind a floor made of another material? For example, dig out a tile of limonite wall, leaving behind a clay silt floor? Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, search and wiki are turning up nothing for me.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 268