Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440010 times)

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1875 on: July 10, 2015, 11:44:20 pm »

Is it now normal for digging out a wall to leave behind a floor made of another material? For example, dig out a tile of limonite wall, leaving behind a clay silt floor? Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, search and wiki are turning up nothing for me.
The floor is from whataver is underground, so yes.

KirigStonebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: July 11, 2015, 01:12:08 am »

Is it now normal for digging out a wall to leave behind a floor made of another material? For example, dig out a tile of limonite wall, leaving behind a clay silt floor? Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, search and wiki are turning up nothing for me.
The floor is from whataver is underground, so yes.

"Underground" in what sense? Whatever makes up the next layer down? Because I considered that but it's not consistent with what I'm seeing.

It looks to me like floor tiles are now ALWAYS made of the layer material, even if there's a different material (ore, gems, etc) making up the wall portion of that tile. Or in other words, mining out a tile will ALWAYS leave you with a floor of whatever material makes up the majority of that layer, even if what you dug out was a different material.

So I guess my question now is whether this is intended behavior or a bug. No more engraved hematite floors and the like?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 01:35:20 am by KirigStonebeard »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1877 on: July 11, 2015, 02:08:46 am »

Intended, I think.

I have a version Question:

Is the current version of Dwarf Fortress stable, without many sudden crashes? If not, what could I possibly do to make it so?

Pretty much. The only thing is to avoid designating constructions in the same space as leaves, including if the leaves grow into the tile after the designation.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: July 11, 2015, 09:28:18 am »

Can you nickname or uncostumize a dwarf after it dies?

Say like remove an custom profession name?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: July 11, 2015, 01:57:54 pm »

So I've been settled for 2 years, autumn of the 3rd, and I have YES invaders, not a baby snatcher rescuers, random zombie, or thief. I did turn the siege off for the first year, because I got a zombie siege as soon as I started I got a siege, every time. I don't have any kids, but my total wealth is around 100,000.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:15:38 pm by locustgate »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: July 11, 2015, 02:00:48 pm »

re outdoors/underground/etc.: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Tile_attributes

So I guess my question now is whether this is intended behavior or a bug. No more engraved hematite floors and the like?

Only Toady knows if it's intended or not, but it's certainly the way it works atm.

KirigStonebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: July 11, 2015, 09:46:43 pm »

re outdoors/underground/etc.: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Tile_attributes

Only Toady knows if it's intended or not, but it's certainly the way it works atm.

Right, I know how tile attributes work, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the question, since by definition a tile you're mining will have the same attributes on the "wall" portion as on the "floor" portion, since they're just different parts of the same tile. Maybe MagnumCannon thought I meant channelling or something.

In any case, if Toady hasn't specifically addressed it as an intended change, I'm going to go ahead and put it on the bug tracker. It certainly doesn't seem like it makes sense as an intentional change, but I must concede that the Toady One can be quite an inscrutable power, so I'll mark it as possibly intended.

Thanks for the assistance guys, it struck me as so odd that I wondered if it was some bizarre bug that only I was encountering. At least now I know it's not just me.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: July 12, 2015, 12:38:51 pm »

I certainly was disappointed when my magnetite dining room had a diorite floor (or whatever), and the first time I dug a room out of gems and got... just another room. So I'm on board with you there.

(And I mainly put that link for any and all, not accusing you personally of ignorance.)

heritage727

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: July 12, 2015, 07:31:06 pm »

This is a known bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6896

Crazy Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: July 13, 2015, 12:38:08 pm »

Do captured animals adopted as pets still need constant training? If so this would be done automatically right? Assuming there is a training zone somewhere in your fort, of course.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: July 13, 2015, 12:40:15 pm »

Do captured animals adopted as pets still need constant training? If so this would be done automatically right? Assuming there is a training zone somewhere in your fort, of course.
It is done automatically.  However, my experience is that it is a low priority job for animal trainers, and occassionally the animal gets dangerously close to reverting, or even does in a few cases.  Best to keep the most dangereous or unknown/exotic critters chained or caged while you train them.  Their kids might be easier to tain.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1886 on: July 13, 2015, 12:41:37 pm »

The offspring can be taken all the way to 'Tame' status, after which they will not revert, so that's the best option as far as I know.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: July 14, 2015, 03:40:56 am »

I generated a pocket world with 3 towers counting as independent civs. For necro sieges should I best start close to one or in range of all three towers?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: July 14, 2015, 06:25:49 am »

Dont start 'in' one.  unless you like legions of unbreakable fun.
PKs DF Mod!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: July 14, 2015, 09:57:30 am »

Build a high-speed minecart grinder and all your undead problems will be reduced to tiny little bits. They're scary in combat, but don't hold together well, esp. against blunt damage.

Of course, for a proper challenge, you might want to eventually build a military that can take an undead invasion in open combat. I think you'll need one very legendary soldier to counter two ordinary undead and the few necro sieges i've seen ranged from ~30 to ~50, so you do the maths.It may take a while to get there, you shouldn't expect to beat a second-year invasion off with soldiers.

And i suspect you could get _much_ larger sieges in a highly necro-infested world.

@below: all good if scummy ways to get a highly skilled military fast, except for the screw pumps. They have been entirely useless for stat training for years now. If you want attributes, sparring is the go-to method. Oh, and danger rooms give you superlegendary dwarfs in a month, at most a season. Three years of normal training gives you highly legendary soldiers without any exploits (and they'll be supremely strong, agile and inexhaustible - sparring does all that, taking them out of training for "stat training" wastes time and _slows_ their attribute gain).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:20:55 am by Larix »
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 268