Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438852 times)

Sisyphean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #1920 on: July 22, 2015, 04:21:30 pm »

hey guys quick question about migration, i recently started a new fort as part of the civ of my retired fort (retired not abandoned so its still there), in the summer i get a migrant family of husband wife and their 3 kids both adults are exceptionally skilled for what i need so i was happy with that.

anyway i have been producing a lot of wealth i sold 16 k worth to my first trade caravan which arrived with the msg "no envoy? how strange..." which i understand means im all thats left of my civ (dunno how my last fort couldve died i think ill have to reclaim it at some point to find out :D).

one month after the trade caravan arrived i got the msg "the fortress attracted no migrants this season" which has confused me a fair amount because my fort is a lot more successfull than most of my forts have been at this point and the second migrant wave normaly takes me upto 25, so do i have a penalty to migration because my civ is dead? (i read somewhere on the wiki migrant waves are based on what the envoy reports to civ homeland???)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: July 23, 2015, 06:12:15 am »

I'm fairly sure that if the home civ is out of dorfs, they stop sending dorfs, since new migrants are mostly real historical figures and such.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Sisyphean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: July 23, 2015, 08:01:56 am »

so does that mean that imigration is completely stopped and i can expect no more or does it mean it that immigration waves are going to be small?

if its the latter and i will still get immigrants albeit in small numbers then i can live with that, if on the other hand im not going to get any through then im not sure 12 dorfs is a large enough genetic pool to continue the civ and i may be better abandoning.....

herocrafter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: July 23, 2015, 01:33:01 pm »

Can a marksdwarf shoot diagonally through a fortification?

........................F F F F
....................W W{        the marksdwarf, {, is behind a row of fortifications, F, with a wall, W, to his left.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: July 23, 2015, 03:22:51 pm »

anyway i have been producing a lot of wealth i sold 16 k worth to my first trade caravan which arrived with the msg "no envoy? how strange..." which i understand means im all thats left of my civ (dunno how my last fort couldve died i think ill have to reclaim it at some point to find out :D).

There are various reasons why your liaison wouldn't show up, and it's unlikely that your civilization has been annihilated since the trade caravan did arrive (truly extinct
civilizations send no caravans).

Yes.

herocrafter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: July 23, 2015, 04:34:53 pm »

Yes.
Thanks. One more question now:
Can a marksdwarf shoot though two fortifications?  In the prior diagram if I change the two wall to the left of the marksdwarf into fortifications (making a diagonal wall) will he shoot though both?

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: July 23, 2015, 04:44:48 pm »

Yes.
Thanks. One more question now:
Can a marksdwarf shoot though two fortifications?  In the prior diagram if I change the two wall to the left of the marksdwarf into fortifications (making a diagonal wall) will he shoot though both?
Fortifications can't be shoot through by archers (marksdwarves) unless they are either highly skilled or standing next to it. So common archers can shoot through only one fortification. Neither ballista nor catapults are affected by fortifications.

Wrap such ascii art with tag "code" (# button above editing area) next time.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

herocrafter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: July 23, 2015, 05:24:59 pm »

Fortifications can't be shoot through by archers (marksdwarves) unless they are either highly skilled or standing next to it. So common archers can shoot through only one fortification. Neither ballista nor catapults are affected by fortifications.

So are saying skilled marksdwarfs can shoot though a diagonal wall of fortication (two fortification)? I'm trying to determine where to put the fortifications on the  top of my mostly round tower base but don't want to put any where they wouldn't be used.  I knew the part about inexperienced having to be next to the fortifications and that's built into the plan but didn't know about the ballista or catapults.  Ballista I think just stay at the same z-level so that's out but catapults might be fun.  I'll have to look into that.

Oh, you can't color in code ;)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: July 23, 2015, 06:08:21 pm »

so does that mean that imigration is completely stopped and i can expect no more or does it mean it that immigration waves are going to be small?

if its the latter and i will still get immigrants albeit in small numbers then i can live with that, if on the other hand im not going to get any through then im not sure 12 dorfs is a large enough genetic pool to continue the civ and i may be better abandoning.....

I think usually they just stop coming, I could be wrong though.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Sisyphean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: July 24, 2015, 04:29:34 am »

well that seemed like it was the case because i had 2 more seasons without immigrants but then just as i was about to givce up i recieved a wave of 11. interestingly all of them are quite highly skilled.. most of the time i dont get more than 1 or 2 points i anything but these guys all have at least 1 skill at 6 and a lot of them are really useful skills....

on a side not the waves seem to consist of whole families.... my first wave was a single family and my most recent wave is 2 families... ive never had this before normally my waves are just a bunch of randomers.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: July 24, 2015, 01:49:18 pm »

well that seemed like it was the case because i had 2 more seasons without immigrants but then just as i was about to givce up i recieved a wave of 11. interestingly all of them are quite highly skilled.. most of the time i dont get more than 1 or 2 points i anything but these guys all have at least 1 skill at 6 and a lot of them are really useful skills....

on a side not the waves seem to consist of whole families.... my first wave was a single family and my most recent wave is 2 families... ive never had this before normally my waves are just a bunch of randomers.
They could be coming from your previous forts in the same world thus having some proficiency in skills you like.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: July 24, 2015, 10:36:04 pm »

Actually, since travel time is rendered now, if they're coming from your old forts, they'll take a long time to get to you.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: July 25, 2015, 10:34:18 am »

Do dwarves no longer get the wood burning happiness bonus?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: July 25, 2015, 11:45:09 am »

Do dwarves no longer get the wood burning happiness bonus?

What bonus? They can admire fine furnaces (as architectural buildings), but it needn't be in operation.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: July 25, 2015, 11:46:40 am »

hummmm

I guess I thought that them watching burning wood made them happy in 34.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 268