Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438843 times)

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2175 on: October 22, 2015, 03:21:05 pm »

Need some pointers on setting up a properly managed milk stockpile. I know how to setup the stockpile to allow only milk, but my issue is with the containers used.

Here are some questions:

• Milk can only be stored in barrels and not large pots right?
  • Is there a way to prevent large pots from mixing into my milk stockpiles when setting the max barrels? The only way I know how is to forbid the rest of the large pots so haulers only haul barrels to the milk stockpile. I'm using only large pots in my stockpiles and would rather not have the barrels mix together with the large pots.
  • How do you get dwarves to transfer milk from buckets into barrels without putting the bucket in the barrel? If they put the bucket in the barrel, will they transfer it later on?

No: milk can go in large pots.
The only way I can think to keep large pots out of a milk stockpile is through links.  Have a small milk stockpile, 0 barrels allowed, that accepts from links only take from the farmer's workshop.  Then have another milk stockpile, also that accepts from links only but with barrels allowed, taking from that first one as well as a furniture stockpile of only barrels.

As for the milk buckets in barrels, I'm pretty sure that is a bug -- the same way with lye buckets going in barrels.  You want the milk to "stack" so you can make stacks of cheese instead of individual units, right?  Unfortunately I don't use milk or cheese very much so I'm not able to tell you if there is a reliable way to prevent the buckets-in-barrels bug.  With lye, you just have to keep it out of barrels entirely.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: October 22, 2015, 09:56:48 pm »

Is there a way to work out which particular "Urist McAnnoying cancels Store item in stockpile: Item inaccessible" job is being cancelled? I've got a job cancel spam and I can't figure out which one it is -_-
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: October 22, 2015, 10:23:11 pm »

Is there a way to work out which particular "Urist McAnnoying cancels Store item in stockpile: Item inaccessible" job is being cancelled? I've got a job cancel spam and I can't figure out which one it is -_-

Suggestions that may or may not work:

Zoom to the announcement location through the announcements menu.

Try and find any suspicious hauling jobs in the jobs menu.

Turn off job cancellation messages in the standing orders menu (not recommended, since this will also stop the interrupted by X announcements that let you know that a dwarf is under attack).

Design a gigantic megaproject specifically to torture Urist McAnnoying for daring to annoy you. It should contain a magma cannon, at least one drop tower, and a dragon cage operated by lever.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: October 23, 2015, 10:45:27 pm »

Will a tame creature breed with a trained one? I want more leopards but my two ones are co-operating and I'm wondering if that may be the cause...

EDIT: It's not a fertility issue, btw, I checked on Dwarf Therapist. Both capable and willing.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: October 23, 2015, 10:59:00 pm »

Tame, Trained, and Wild animals can all breed. If both are willing to marry others of the opposite gender, and have the opportunity to get in close contact with one another, they should be able to breed.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: October 24, 2015, 08:14:18 am »

Is there a way to make explosions in dwarf fortress?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: October 24, 2015, 08:50:17 am »

They aren't coded in, really. Try setting fire to alcohol, setting the internal temperatures of animals really high, breaking FBs etc made of fire or magma.
One wheel short of a wagon

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: October 24, 2015, 03:13:42 pm »

Is there a way to make explosions in dwarf fortress?

Adding black powder at some point in the future was discussed in one of the DF Talks. I don't remember which one.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: October 24, 2015, 03:21:29 pm »

They aren't coded in, really. Try setting fire to alcohol, setting the internal temperatures of animals really high, breaking FBs etc made of fire or magma.

the first one definitely doesn't work or really do anything of interest

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: October 24, 2015, 03:26:55 pm »

Ok, I haven't tried. Damn, that puts a hole in some of my plans. Surely you won't deny the power of the nuclear catsplosion, though?
One wheel short of a wagon

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: October 24, 2015, 03:49:53 pm »

that mostly just sets grass on fire

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: October 25, 2015, 05:58:02 am »

Quick question, working on making the pieces of stuff for the civilian militia because who likes replacing clothing. Just wondering which pieces of leather stuff don't decay? I know leather armour doesn't...I was going to go leather armour, leather high boots, leather helm, and maybe leather gloves and leather cloak? Just to cover all the parts. And either a leather or wood shield.

So yeah. Is there anything in that list I'm going to have to replace because I hate decay?

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: October 25, 2015, 06:13:45 am »

I know I've seen decayed cloaks on my military, but it's worth it for their full coverage imo. It could be due to FB fire not wear, not sure. Pretty sure they decay though.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: October 25, 2015, 06:28:39 am »

Will the heated water turn into steam cloud?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: October 25, 2015, 10:59:54 am »

heated pooled water will evaporate invisibly.  the item water will steam
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 268