Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440208 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2220 on: November 03, 2015, 08:30:44 pm »

You can probably get another King if he died, but I think either you don't get another Baron or it's bugged at present.
I've also had one or two zombie sieges, but I don't think those are really plausible for a starting to intermediate player to fight against and win. Zombies might not be the impossible to kill demigods that they were before, but I don't think they're really balanced yet.

While I'm asking, what are the limits on invaders being able to climb walls now? is it only 1 z-level high walls that they can climb, or am I still not safe if I have a wall with an overhanging fortification on it?
Zombies, as a newer player (though learning fast), are a pain in the ass because of the sheer amount of them and how easily they kill people. Making a dropping tunnel was really the only way I could deal with them.

And invaders can climb anything that doesn't have a roof above it (they won't hang upside-down), I believe. I had a zombie climbing around like a bastard in my drop tunnel for several months, on SMOOTHED WALLS. He did not care.

A werebeast with no climbing skill climbed over my wall.  Fun.

Was that intended, or a bug?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: November 03, 2015, 08:36:36 pm »

Climbing skil dictates speed on rough climbable surfaces.  And chance to catch on when you do lose your grip on artificial smoothed stone.

Sorry, You need zero climbing skill to climb walls.  Try using fortifications on top of the walls.  Cant climb those Ive heard.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: November 03, 2015, 09:39:46 pm »

What is it that allows two creatures / objects to slide right past each other?

I've seen it a few times in earlier versions, where two dwarves in a narrow corridor pass each other without one lying down, but I've saved just before one of these and it happens consistently. The two objects are a dwarf and a minecart, and there is no combat log about the dwarf dodging.

Is it as simple as them moving on the same tick while next to each other?

There are two different mechanisms at play here. Creatures can sometimes "creature swap" with other creatures, exchanging tiles (this can lead to inexplicable behavior, such as dwarves ending up on top of walls after being creature swapped by a flying creature). Minecarts, though, move separate from creatures; there is apparently a small window where creature can move into a tile containing a minecart and prevent the minecart from moving into the creature's tile and causing a collision.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: November 03, 2015, 11:19:59 pm »

Climbing skil dictates speed on rough climbable surfaces.  And chance to catch on when you do lose your grip on artificial smoothed stone.

Sorry, You need zero climbing skill to climb walls.  Try using fortifications on top of the walls.  Cant climb those Ive heard.
Wrong. You can climb fortifications, and even jump through them if you have a mind to.

Can't climb a one-tile floor overhang, can't climb any two-tile overhang.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: November 03, 2015, 11:23:59 pm »

sue me then.
make walls 2-3 levels high and cut down trees nearby
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: November 04, 2015, 12:38:29 am »

sue me then.
make walls 2-3 levels high and cut down trees nearby
They can still climb it if you don't put an overhang. That will only protect you if they can't see any target on the other side. (I.e. don't have tall guard towers or tall hills on the other side.

Easiest unclimbable wall is a 1 level wall with a floor sticking out on the level above (on both sides if you don't want dwarves out.) I imagine the floor like barbed wire. Paved roads can keep the trees away.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Mike_B20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: November 04, 2015, 01:33:19 am »

Easiest unclimbable wall is a 1 level wall with a floor sticking out on the level above (on both sides if you don't want dwarves out.)

I had trolls and goblins climbing into my fort with a similar setup in my last game, ie. level one wall with another fortified wall forming an overhang at the second Z level.
Maybe a floor in an overhang position, instead of a wall in an overhang position, at the second level keeps them out.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: November 04, 2015, 02:00:17 am »

So, the one-tile wall with fortification overhang is enough to protect my fort? The zombies were just milling around for a few months killing wildlife before I had to deal with my captain going on a killing spree, but I'm not sure if that's because they just didn't have line of sight to any of my dwarves.

I also had an archery pillbox set up with fortifications and a roof, and the zombies didn't climb in through there. I eventually stopped staffing it since it was wasting my bolt supply. It was a very fast and effective way to train my marksdwarves, but they weren't even bothering the zombie pincushions, as far as I know.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: November 04, 2015, 02:35:12 am »

Easiest unclimbable wall is a 1 level wall with a floor sticking out on the level above (on both sides if you don't want dwarves out.)

I had trolls and goblins climbing into my fort with a similar setup in my last game, ie. level one wall with another fortified wall forming an overhang at the second Z level.
Maybe a floor in an overhang position, instead of a wall in an overhang position, at the second level keeps them out.
Yes, the floor makes the difference because you can't grab onto the side of it. Otherwise they climb diagonally up onto the side of the fortified wall.

So, the one-tile wall with fortification overhang is enough to protect my fort? The zombies were just milling around for a few months killing wildlife before I had to deal with my captain going on a killing spree, but I'm not sure if that's because they just didn't have line of sight to any of my dwarves.
It's only line of sight keeping you safe. Floor overhang or 2-wide overhang prevent the diagonal climb.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: November 04, 2015, 03:09:08 am »

Really the safest way is to just roof over the area and build a courtyard statue garden if you're trying to prevent cave adaptation.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: November 05, 2015, 02:08:29 pm »

HELP

I minimized my menu to the right and have no idea how to get it back in.
I don't find it in the keybindings and restarting the game doesnt help it seems to be saved in  the savegame.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: November 05, 2015, 02:12:46 pm »

tab

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: November 05, 2015, 02:29:53 pm »

LOL epic fail, I played this game for hundreds of hours and never recognized that :)

thx so much anyway

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: November 05, 2015, 03:08:48 pm »

Since there appears to be no way to order that only non-butcherable carcasses be dumped while butcherable ones are stockpiled, how can one set a stockpile up where anything placed in it is immediately atomsmashed/dumped into magma without putting the hauler in any danger? At first, I considered pressure plates, but now I'm thinking about building bridges, designating the stockpile over them and then just leaving them retracted all the time.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: November 05, 2015, 03:11:52 pm »

You can just put a garbage dump next to a pit and they'll throw it in there IIRC.

You can also use some minecart shenanigans.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 268