Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438856 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2205 on: October 29, 2015, 10:24:14 am »

It is carried in the bite attack. It must penetrate the outermost layer of tissue, maybe the outermost vascular layer.
Makes sense, cuz like teeth and horns wont get infected.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: October 29, 2015, 12:04:42 pm »

Is it just me, or are goblin sieges basically a thing of the past?

I haven't played many forts longer than 3-4 years in the new build so far, and I haven't had any goblin sieges. Not even small ones.

What are the triggers? I've heard around the forum that the trigger for Goblin sieges are variously 30 population, 80 population, 300k fortress wealth, 1M fortress wealth, 500k exports, and maybe a few more besides.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=145797.msg5816365#msg5816365

it's a side effect of the game not being stupid about sieges anymore by actually bothering to detect whether your fort is worth sieging

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: October 29, 2015, 02:04:19 pm »

Anyone know how to turn off Aquifers ?
Does no one look at the wiki for these things anymore?
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Aquifer#The_modding_method
By editing the raws and removing the [AQUIFER] tag from all of the appropriate entries in inorganic_stone_layer.txt, inorganic_stone_mineral.txt, and inorganic_stone_soil.txt it is possible to remove all aquifers from the world. This can be done before creating a new world or after, if you find a particularly neat location ruined only by the presence of an aquifer. In order to modify an existing world, you must delete the [AQUIFER] tag from the raws in the savegame's folder.

Now, a question of my own: I read that in this edition nobles don't pass their position down to their next of kin in fortress mode. Is this true? If it is true, then I might as well kill my duke now and never give any offerings to the caravan so the king never shows up. I have temporary housing right now, and my permanent housing is something that takes a lot of work; if my duke and king could die during during fortress mode and leave no future dukes and kings that I need to keep happy, then why bother going through all the work of setting up luxuriate rooms for the king and duke?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: October 29, 2015, 04:20:08 pm »

Succession is weird and not really understood.  I could easily be wrong, but I don't think a fort's baron/duke/count/king passes the title down to their descendants on death.  If there is a baron/duke/count/king at a different fortress that dies, a dwarf in your fortress can inherit the title.

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: October 29, 2015, 04:36:43 pm »

I concur with Bouchart.  In my current fort, I appointed a miner from my Starting 7 to be Baroness, and shortly afterwards a recent migrant was appointed as a second Baron.  The Baron was slain by a Forgotten Beast, and no replacement was appointed; and then years later, when the poor Baroness threw a series of tantrums, a military dwarf caved her face in as punishment.  Even though her children are in the fort, no new baron was appointed.  In spite of the demands, I kind of enjoyed having two baronies.  I felt important.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: October 29, 2015, 05:53:06 pm »

You can probably get another King if he died, but I think either you don't get another Baron or it's bugged at present.
I've also had one or two zombie sieges, but I don't think those are really plausible for a starting to intermediate player to fight against and win. Zombies might not be the impossible to kill demigods that they were before, but I don't think they're really balanced yet.

While I'm asking, what are the limits on invaders being able to climb walls now? is it only 1 z-level high walls that they can climb, or am I still not safe if I have a wall with an overhanging fortification on it?
Zombies, as a newer player (though learning fast), are a pain in the ass because of the sheer amount of them and how easily they kill people. Making a dropping tunnel was really the only way I could deal with them.

And invaders can climb anything that doesn't have a roof above it (they won't hang upside-down), I believe. I had a zombie climbing around like a bastard in my drop tunnel for several months, on SMOOTHED WALLS. He did not care.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: October 31, 2015, 06:11:58 pm »

Quick question, I have a pool of 5/7 magma sitting outside my fort (spawned via DFhack because there was water that was being a pain), is there a way to move it to a 1-tile area to use as magma fuel that doesn't involve minecarts? I haven't tried the minecarts yet so I'm wary about trying them out on a tiny bit of magma.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: October 31, 2015, 06:15:54 pm »

Im confused about the situation.

You have multiple tiles full of magma, sitting at the 5/7 mark.
You want to condense them to a single tile.
???

Bulid a cistern, whether its one or 47 tiles.  Do the math of calculatng how much magma you have and dig the appropriate cistern, taking into account the tunnel it will travel.  You need at least 3/7 magmaunder the forge to work, and you'll get constant interrupts if it fluctuates between 2/7 and 3/7.

Be aware that, as with all magma projects, it is inherently dangerous work, especially the miner doing the final dig.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: October 31, 2015, 07:54:13 pm »

Ahh, sorry XD Early morning derp means I worded it badly. I have a single tile of 5/7 magma and would like to move it to a safer location to build a magma smelter on top of it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: October 31, 2015, 08:54:49 pm »

Build a 1x2 shaft; channeling the tiles directly below the magma and up/down stairing an adjacent tile.

Go down as far as you would like, then 1 more for the magma to land into. It important that you don't stair that last zlevel, because with only 5 magma you'd end up with a 2/7 and 3/7 flucuation runing jobs in process.

Then, with an expendable miner, ramp out that last floor seperating the mamga from the dropshaft.  The floor over the holes.

You can try to push your luck directing the magma horizontally, but wth only 5/7 of it Id just as soon tell you to minecart it.
PKs DF Mod!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: November 01, 2015, 08:08:59 am »

What is it that allows two creatures / objects to slide right past each other?

I've seen it a few times in earlier versions, where two dwarves in a narrow corridor pass each other without one lying down, but I've saved just before one of these and it happens consistently. The two objects are a dwarf and a minecart, and there is no combat log about the dwarf dodging.

Is it as simple as them moving on the same tick while next to each other?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Morgoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Rayneing Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: November 01, 2015, 08:00:53 pm »

The upcoming update looks amazing, but I'm wondering: how much of it is carrying over to Adventure mode? Are the "expanded social interactions" going to give us a more in-depth RPG sorta experience and/or make NPC conversations matter more than just getting quests?

Another question, out of curiosity.

Do AI adventurers also hunt Beasts or widespread threats? In the Legends/History they do, so they surely would in real-time?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 08:08:24 pm by Morgoth »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: November 01, 2015, 08:03:34 pm »

I haven't looked, but my guess is there will be at least minimal framework setup for adventure mode.  At least.
PKs DF Mod!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: November 02, 2015, 04:43:48 pm »

What is it that allows two creatures / objects to slide right past each other?

I've seen it a few times in earlier versions, where two dwarves in a narrow corridor pass each other without one lying down, but I've saved just before one of these and it happens consistently. The two objects are a dwarf and a minecart, and there is no combat log about the dwarf dodging.

Is it as simple as them moving on the same tick while next to each other?

Try advancing the game one tick at a time and see what happens.  It sounds like they both move tiles at the same tick, but it's the kind of thing that seems unlikely since dwarves generally have different speed and encumbrance values.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: November 02, 2015, 04:49:31 pm »

I know that in adventure mode there's some kind of 'give' system in place, where non-hostiles will give the right of way to others who are traveling, displacing them.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 268