Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440014 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2385 on: December 29, 2015, 07:28:09 pm »

so the caravan from the mountian home spontanisly combusts every year, catching large areas of the map on fire, and killing the merchants. It happend three years in a row now

What mods did you install?  This sounds like you've got a material that catches fire at your embark's ambient temperature, and your civ is making stuff out of it.  (Or it could be a creature whose body parts catch fire at this temp, maybe.  In any case, something is modded.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ShaveDaWookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: December 29, 2015, 07:48:22 pm »

zero mods, although i have a sneaking suspicion that using the phobous int auto updater messed with my int/raws somehow

its the no artifacts/moods thing that gets me, and ive triple checked the int

or how ive gone down 40z levels and still havent hit a cavern
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 08:01:07 pm by ShaveDaWookie »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: December 29, 2015, 09:14:58 pm »

so the caravan from the mountian home spontanisly combusts every year, catching large areas of the map on fire, and killing the merchants. It happend three years in a row now, resulting in zero exported wealth, but im still getting good migrant waves.

also im incapable of making bookshelfs

also despite having artifacts on in ini, i never get moods or item artifacts, just codex scholars bring

any thoughts?

I've reported the same bug with Exported Wealth not increasing.  It's on the bug tracker, but I believe that's down for the time being.  It's a fresh install on 42.04.

Does the human caravan arrive at your fort?  At mine it doesn't, though that's not necessarily the reason why.  I get human visitors though.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:16:31 pm by Bouchart »

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
  • Traveling at the speed of Urist (not that fast)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: December 29, 2015, 11:33:47 pm »

My world has only one dwarven civilization and it is dead. As soon as I embarked a dwarf became queen. No outpost liaison has appeared. All these things point to us being the last dwarves on the planet.

So, tell me why I'm getting migrants and a dwarven caravan who says "Greetings from the Mountainhomes. Your efforts are legendary there. Let us Trade!"

Am I forgetting something?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: December 29, 2015, 11:41:44 pm »

My world has only one dwarven civilization and it is dead. As soon as I embarked a dwarf became queen. No outpost liaison has appeared. All these things point to us being the last dwarves on the planet.

So, tell me why I'm getting migrants and a dwarven caravan who says "Greetings from the Mountainhomes. Your efforts are legendary there. Let us Trade!"

Caravans and made grants get generated from out of nowhere if there's no actual populations for them to be taken from. Just imagine it as dwarves living in human civilizations banding together to get a proper mountaintops once again.
The outpost liaison is probably hiding out in a cave or abandoned hamlet somewhere. It happens quite often where civilizations die, but a few historical figures stay behind in some odd place.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: December 30, 2015, 12:21:42 am »

Caravans and made grants get generated from out of nowhere if there's no actual populations for them to be taken from. Just imagine it as dwarves living in human civilizations banding together to get a proper mountaintops once again.
The outpost liaison is probably hiding out in a cave or abandoned hamlet somewhere. It happens quite often where civilizations die, but a few historical figures stay behind in some odd place.

I didn't know that, thanks vjmdhzgr!

I have questions about relationships using the new multi-species fortress mechanics. Can two elves in my fortress fall in love and have babies? Can multi-species relationships exist (ex. dwarf in love with human)?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: December 30, 2015, 12:29:50 am »

I'm pretty sure any elf permanent residents should be able to fallen love with other elf permanent residents. I'd say long term residents that have requested to stay most likely can as well, they have a full relations screen. However I really don't know about the temporary guests. My bet is on them being unable to, but even if they could I doubt they'd ever stay long enough to develop one.

The second question has a very easy answer though, which is no. Dwarves will never become lovers with humans, and elves will never marry goblins.

Toady has considered adding this as a possibility, and has even said it would be really easy to add, but first he wants to figure out how breastfeeding is going to work, which will be quite complex and might get added tangentially at some point in the tavern related stuff, but will most likely wait until some other point.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: December 30, 2015, 01:20:33 am »

vjmdhzgr, thanks again.

Actually, I have another question. Is there a special requirement for elves to visit the tavern? I have used taverns for a while on several fortresses and have not met an elf yet. I have seen plenty of humans and even some animal men.

Nevermind, an elf just joined my fortress.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:07:01 pm by vexxice »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: December 30, 2015, 08:31:25 am »

zero mods, although i have a sneaking suspicion that using the phobous int auto updater messed with my int/raws somehow

Graphics sets count as mods.  Especially when you install the wrong version of a graphics pack (or when the right version does not exist at all) for your version of DF, and you end up corrupting your raws.

At this point all you can do is reinstall DF (in a new directory).  If you are absolutely certain that your preferred graphics pack exists in a version that is compatible with your version of DF, then you can carefully install that... otherwise, don't.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: December 30, 2015, 09:34:49 am »

Send the child to a burrows, seal it off and make him a scholar so he can sit around reading things when he's not transformed.
I didn't know that burrows affected children. TIL, I guess. In future: what about babies?
You should be able to have your military kill the poet.  I'm not  sure if being a dwarf poet will trigger a loyalty cascade though.
That's what I was worried about. Although I managed to lock him in a room and flooded it, which worked.

Total causalities from said were-elephant: ~60. Ow. Including my only vampire - mixed blessings I guess.

Also: aside from a single mechanic for making mechanisms, is there any sense having dedicated mechanics now that mechanics has been sped up?
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: December 30, 2015, 09:45:27 am »

Also: aside from a single mechanic for making mechanisms, is there any sense having dedicated mechanics now that mechanics has been sped up?

Reloading cage traps, if you use them a lot.

ShaveDaWookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: December 30, 2015, 09:58:27 am »

Graphics sets count as mods.  Especially when you install the wrong version of a graphics pack (or when the right version does not exist at all) for your version of DF, and you end up corrupting your raws.

At this point all you can do is reinstall DF (in a new directory).  If you are absolutely certain that your preferred graphics pack exists in a version that is compatible with your version of DF, then you can carefully install that... otherwise, don't.

thanks for the help greycat, i grabbed a fresh copy and moved my world over, any hope of better stability? i know i should give up on this world but im hoplessly in love. i manually added phoboues this time but im still having the same problems. However i doubt it matters if i stop using phoboes now, as the damage is likely already done.
Ideas?

decided to scrap the world, as much as i love the perfect world history, a world without artifacts just doesnt feel like DF
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 10:40:59 am by ShaveDaWookie »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: December 30, 2015, 01:42:52 pm »

The Phoebus tileset shows that it was last updated for 0.40.24, 11 months ago.  It's just not going to work in 0.42.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: December 30, 2015, 07:04:08 pm »

I have several different types of hand held and stationary instruments in my tavern, but the only one I ever see anyone playing is the dunan.

Anyone know how dwarves choose what instrument to play?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2399 on: December 30, 2015, 10:30:04 pm »

You see people playing? I never do.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 268