Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438886 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2400 on: December 30, 2015, 11:31:30 pm »

I've had dwarves simulate an instrument, and it seems like the only instrument they'll actually play is the one they simulate.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: December 31, 2015, 02:10:28 am »

Are dwarves still only allowed to reproduce with individuals born 10 years within when they were born or has that been increased/fixed?
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: December 31, 2015, 09:53:43 am »

I didn't even know there was that limitation.  Anyway, dwarves don't seem to progress in relationships and marry in this version.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: December 31, 2015, 03:43:06 pm »

The Phoebus tileset shows that it was last updated for 0.40.24, 11 months ago.  It's just not going to work in 0.42.

I've been using it, no problems so far.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: January 01, 2016, 12:31:17 am »

I'm not gaining poetic forms from reading manuals about them. Am I supposed to? What's a manual do?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: January 01, 2016, 11:01:35 am »

My second miner, while helping to build the second story on my garrison, dodged up a tree to try to duck some keas and is now stuck. Any hints on how to get him down? I can live without him if need be, but it's really annoying loosing one of the starting 7 in such a lame way...

Edit: NVM. I went with the classic "set up a hospital to treat injuries after chopping down tree" route, but he only got bruised. Crisis averted!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:16:24 am by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: January 01, 2016, 11:35:42 am »

My second miner, while helping to build the second story on my garrison, dodged up a tree to try to duck some keas and is now stuck. Any hints on how to get him down? I can live without him if need be, but it's really annoying loosing one of the starting 7 in such a lame way...

Edit: NVM. I went with the classic "set up a hospital to treat injuries after chopping down tree" route, but he only got bruised. Crisis averted!
Units having troubles to navigate from trees and similar places where they didn't see mto have any trouble to get to is a common feature of current version.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: January 01, 2016, 12:19:34 pm »

Is there any way to get civilians to wear armor? I don't want them wading into battle, they aren't trained, but I do want them to have the added protection of armor.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: January 01, 2016, 12:55:55 pm »

My second miner, while helping to build the second story on my garrison, dodged up a tree to try to duck some keas and is now stuck. Any hints on how to get him down?

Usually you can find a clear spot adjacent to a branch, where you can build an up/down staircase.  Dwarves won't climb down out of a tree, but they will happily walk along the branches to a staircase and climb down that.

Is there any way to get civilians to wear armor? I don't want them wading into battle, they aren't trained, but I do want them to have the added protection of armor.

All except miners, woodcutters and hunters, yes.  Just put them in a squad, and assign a uniform.  Don't give that squad a barracks, or any orders (unless you want them to spend time training).

In 0.42 they will replace a cap with a metal helm (OH MY ELFING GOD YES FINALLY), but they won't replace shoes with boots, or gloves with gauntlets.  This can be alleviated somewhat by modding in the [SHAPED] tag on shoes and gloves, or by using "replace clothing" rather than "over clothing", but the latter is a bit much for civilians.

Miners, woodcutters and hunters can never ever ever be made to wear a helm while working, by any means whatsoever due to the longstanding "civilian uniform" bug.  No workarounds.  Nothing.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 01:01:00 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: January 01, 2016, 05:40:24 pm »

All except miners, woodcutters and hunters, yes.  Just put them in a squad, and assign a uniform.  Don't give that squad a barracks, or any orders (unless you want them to spend time training).

In 0.42 they will replace a cap with a metal helm (OH MY ELFING GOD YES FINALLY), but they won't replace shoes with boots, or gloves with gauntlets.  This can be alleviated somewhat by modding in the [SHAPED] tag on shoes and gloves, or by using "replace clothing" rather than "over clothing", but the latter is a bit much for civilians.

Miners, woodcutters and hunters can never ever ever be made to wear a helm while working, by any means whatsoever due to the longstanding "civilian uniform" bug.  No workarounds.  Nothing.

Thanks. My problem was probably giving them barracks and having them train once in a while.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: January 01, 2016, 06:27:47 pm »

Is there max distance/time caravan will go to get to depot?
I mean, if they have a path to depot and don't get there in, say, a month, will they just turn around and go away?
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: January 01, 2016, 08:03:42 pm »

Is there a problem with stockpiles of containers? I'm finding my dwarfs putting plants into barrels of Furniture-->barrels, and Finished goods-->quiver piles are collecting bolts and arrows, and Finished goods-->backpack piles are collecting food.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: January 01, 2016, 08:04:44 pm »

Is there max distance/time caravan will go to get to depot?
I mean, if they have a path to depot and don't get there in, say, a month, will they just turn around and go away?

Yes, though I can't tell you how long they take. They could also take so long to get there that they pack up and leave as soon as they unpack.

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: January 02, 2016, 07:48:49 am »

How am I supposed to fulfill needs like being away from tradition, lack of abstract thinking and being unable to acquire something? I'm at my starting 7 and I can't find a way to fulfill these. I can't manage a whole fortress' needs if I can't even handle 7 dwarves.
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: January 02, 2016, 07:52:11 am »

I think it will mostly go away if you run a big, functional fort with loads of stuff like temples, taverns, fine dining, militia squads, buckets, etc.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 268