Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440181 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2475 on: January 14, 2016, 04:09:54 am »

(1) I have a well, un-frozen 7-depth water source for well, soap, and doctors. How did a dwarf end up with an infection?
When you say 7-depth, do you mean 7 z-levels or 7 fluid-levels? You need 2 z-levels of water to avoid mud.

7 fluid levels
That might be your problem. Are the water buckets "laced with mud"?

A dusting of mud via flowing water (desalinating and pressurising with a screwpump/floodgated waterway) can eliminate troublesome 'piles' of mud that occur from sitting water. Cavern water will probably have piles of mud for this reason.

tahu16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: January 15, 2016, 11:21:21 am »

Hello!
Is the bug still present, what makes the marksdwarfs attack with melee? If yes, in what conditions is this happening?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: January 15, 2016, 12:28:46 pm »

Archers with no ammo will smack things with their crossbows.

But there is a bug where dwarves don't drop their mugs after drinking with them.  They seem to give hitting things with mugs priority over shooting them from a distance.  It should be fixed in the next patch.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: January 15, 2016, 03:41:17 pm »

I seem to be under the impression that 'k'ill ordering an enemy with a squad of marksdwarves will tend to make them engage in melee too, as opposed to just 's'tationing them near the enemy.  I don't know if that's something anecdotal that I've noticed over time or known behavior.  I'd guess that if they get too close they will engage in melee automatically, and using the 'k'ill command moves them to get into melee range.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: January 15, 2016, 04:02:48 pm »

I try to avoid kill orders.  The main problem with them is that once a single target is killed, the squad decides its job is done, and wanders back to the barracks, or the tavern, or the zoo, ....

The other main problem is that it doesn't work on flyers.  They have to have a walkable path to the target, or they simply stand there and do nothing.

The other other main problem is that you can't order them to kill a target from behind fortifications.  There's no DF way to tell a marksdwarf "Stand here, and fire at the leader, NOT the other guys."  It's either "Stand here and fire at will" or "Charge the leader like a maniac".  There is no other tactic available.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: January 17, 2016, 05:55:45 am »

Goblins, goblins, wherefore art thou not arriving? Srsly, last time was like two years ago. Same happened in previous fort same version, one tiny 'siege' and then not a whisper.

Also my two tamed large rats just upped and died in the caverns it seems.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Detros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: January 18, 2016, 06:19:26 pm »

Goblins, goblins, wherefore art thou not arriving? Srsly, last time was like two years ago. Same happened in previous fort same version, one tiny 'siege' and then not a whisper.

Also my two tamed large rats just upped and died in the caverns it seems.
Sieges can take time as they need to come from real goblin populations. Are they prospering? Are they in war with some other nations? Are you the most tasty target around?

And giant rats have max age of just 2-3 years, DF wiki says.
Beside other things, bay12forums is also the leader website in calculations of saguaro wood density.
(noted by jwoodward48df)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: January 19, 2016, 05:03:36 am »

ah, that explains the rats.

Theoretically I might be tastiest. Fairly early on the king snuffed it and my expedition leader inherited it- after the first offer of barony, but we didn't have a baron yet. So I'm not capital, but do have the king. My architecture demand for capital is beyond necessary, but my offerings not quite yet.  I think they are prospering because I assumed that the king dying and his heir being mine suggested the mountainhome had fallen. Otherwise I don't know how to tell.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: January 19, 2016, 09:30:45 am »

Hi, I'm a new Urist in the community, and i can't find the answer in the forum.

A lavish meal of Dwarven Sugar and 3 Dwarven Suryp, Are one or two food for the purpuose of eat differents foods?
Same problem with Plump helmet and Dwarven wine meals.

Thanks for your help.
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: January 19, 2016, 09:49:05 am »

If it's a meal of 'ingredient' and 'ingredient', the stack of meals is all the same. The point of meals is to add variety to the dwarven diet, and to pad out meat and fish with stuff that would otherwise be inedible, such as quarry bush leaves.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: January 19, 2016, 10:28:31 am »

When you cook a lavish meal, it means the cook has to gather up 4 piles of ingredients.  Each pile has a size/quantity number by it, like dog meat [8].  When you cook all 4 piles together, you get a resulting roast, e.g. *dog meat roast [15]*.  The size/quantity on the finished product is the sum of all the ingredient sizes, and indicates how many dwarf-meals it provides.  A stack of size 15 will allow 15 dwarves to perform an "Eat" job to satiate their hunger.  Or 5 dwarves 3 times apiece, etc.

Every prepared meal has to contain at least one solid ingredient.  The remaining ingredients may be solid or liquid.  However, due to the way dwarves select ingredients, it's extremely difficult to get them to cook with liquid ingredients (e.g. dwarven syrup) when you actually want them to.  Congrats on achieving that.

Each meal in the stack has some of every ingredient, like Skorpion says.  A roast that contains dog meat, dog meat (again), horse cheese and asparagus will taste like 3 different things.  As far as I know -- I haven't done real science on it -- such a meal will satisfy the specific-diet needs of a dwarf that likes to eat dog, or horse cheese, or asparagus.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:31:47 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: January 19, 2016, 10:28:51 am »

Another reason to cook is to consolidate food into larger stacks.  A +cat meat roast+[20] is one object to carry around whereas four separate cat meat[5] require four hauling jobs.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: January 19, 2016, 10:33:10 am »

The other other reason to cook meals is to create ridiculously expensive trade goods.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: January 19, 2016, 03:25:35 pm »

The other other reason to cook meals is to create ridiculously expensive trade goods.

But that would require trading away perfectly good food. Like ore, that feels un-dwarfy, so I just stick with bone crafts.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

vexxice

• Bay Watcher
  • Traveling at the speed of Urist (not that fast)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: January 19, 2016, 04:48:06 pm »

About how much of a hit does the FPS take for using a graphics pack? With the new tavern system, I frequently have around 200 sentient creatures fumbling about the fortress and I still have pretty good fps (60 with 17 gfps). I had considered using phoebus's graphics pack, but I'm worried that I will not be able to sustain a fort that big without fps going below 10.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 268