Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438825 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2565 on: February 29, 2016, 06:33:27 pm »

Are the corpses unforbidden?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: February 29, 2016, 08:47:47 pm »

I haven't started playing 42. and I'm wondering if you have a nondwarf citizen do they adopt your entity's ethics, i.e. cutting wood, or do they keep their own. So lets say I let an elf stay long term will s/he get mad everytime s/he goes to bed in the wooden bed and uses the wooden shield and wooden training axe, while walking along the wooden draw bridge to the training area which has wood statues.

Also will entity races be the only ones that visit or is it possible to have a [can_learn] [can_speak] visitor.

I don't think elves care about hauling or using wooden things, but Toady said he specifically handled the case of making them cut down trees.  According to a recent post from him, right now only tree cutting, butchering, caging and I believe gelding (plus maybe shearing) can cause bad thoughts.

I guess that means that new citizens keep their old ethics.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2567 on: February 29, 2016, 10:34:58 pm »

Wood statues don't exist. Beware the Trojan Dwarf.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: February 29, 2016, 11:06:05 pm »

I seem to recall asking this whenever the release came out that included all of the modern farmable plants, but couldn't find it after searching.

Can someone confirm that crops that produce pods are kind of worthless right now?  I realized after embarking that I took, for example, string beans, which contain all of their seeds in pods.  The raws seem to indicate that the pods can't be eaten or cooked, which means that I also can't get the seeds out in any way, right?  Nothing like plant processing?

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: February 29, 2016, 11:53:00 pm »

Surface fires.... More likely in this version? I'm like five for five. Often arriving without warning. One accompanied by a merchant.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: March 01, 2016, 12:13:24 am »

I've seen similar reports, to which someone suggested that merchants might be bringing fire snakes with them.  No idea if that was confirmed or not, but it would be an interesting bug if so.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: March 01, 2016, 12:25:28 am »

What is the easiest way to embark everywhere in 42.06, if any? In particular, I want two my fortresses overlap.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2572 on: March 01, 2016, 11:10:41 am »

Warning: it will likely cause bugs, crashes, etc. That's what I got last time I tried to do that.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Legless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: March 01, 2016, 12:12:05 pm »

Several questions, guys!
1. Founded a tavern, assigned tavern keepers, got some visitors. After half a month got a message, that my diplomat had been found dead. Near was a human-visitor with local dwarf. Both were unconscious, vomit covered, with trauma of the lungs. There was a tavern keeper and dozen goblets. They died soon, memorial slab said they suffocated. WTF? Bugged Too zealous tavern keeper?
2. If I disable poisonous keepers and performers, could visitors entertain themself?
3. Soapmakers read a lot! Won't haul stones, react on job queues slowly. Idlers: 0 is everytime.
4. All (20) books of my scientists are 1-paged manuals. Not a problem anyway, but rather dissapointed, heh.
5. Oh, the most confusing. Got four sieges in two first years. Necromant with dozens of corpses. Six gobbos. Necromant with six corpses, revived gobbos also. Three gobbos. Really? There are 50k goblins in the world, cmon!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: March 01, 2016, 12:21:40 pm »

So...hmm. It's raining goblin blood, but I want to make it more !!FUN!! by modding goblin blood to ignite.

Anyone now how to fuck with it to cause that result? I've found out so far that adding a fixed temp and/or bumping up the melting point do nothing, as it seems it forces it to rain/snow at the ambient temperature.

And setting a low ignite point hasn't gotten results either.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: March 01, 2016, 12:31:32 pm »

Warning: it will likely cause bugs, crashes, etc. That's what I got last time I tried to do that.

It's ok, but how can I do that? I remember that DFHack could do the trick, but it's not available in 42.06 yet. Is it the only option?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: March 01, 2016, 12:36:36 pm »

It's ok, but how can I do that? I remember that DFHack could do the trick, but it's not available in 42.06 yet. Is it the only option?

I think DFTool lets you embark anywhere, and it's 42.06.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: March 01, 2016, 01:01:46 pm »

I think DFTool lets you embark anywhere, and it's 42.06.

Thank you! Exactly what I wanted... I knew something else exist, but couldn't find it using search.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: March 01, 2016, 02:49:22 pm »

I've got several goblin corpses around my entrance area
Do you have Dwarves to haul refuse from outside?  It is one of the options 'o'->'r' I think.
Do you have a corpse pile?

Thanks, they didnt haul from outside. Finally dwarfs not horrified whenever i'm expanding my defences or hauling stuff to and from depot.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: March 01, 2016, 04:09:15 pm »

1. Founded a tavern, assigned tavern keepers

Nooooo....!

, got some visitors. After half a month got a message, that my diplomat had been found dead. Near was a human-visitor with local dwarf. Both were unconscious, vomit covered, with trauma of the lungs. There was a tavern keeper and dozen goblets. They died soon, memorial slab said they suffocated. WTF? Bugged Too zealous tavern keeper?

Tavern keepers are insidious.  Don't use them.

"Here, drink up!"
"Done already?  Here, have another!"
"Thirsty?  I've got just the thing!"
"Oh, don't quit on me now!  The night is young!"
"Have you tried this peach brandy yet?"
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 268