Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440134 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2700 on: April 04, 2016, 01:02:21 pm »

Is there a way to specify which wheelbarrows should a stockpile use that does not involve the use of burrows or temporarily forbidding all other wheelbarrows?

Far as I know, wheelbarrows are in the same nebulous, hard-to-control position as barrels and bins. It usually only matters if you have especially dense wheelbarrows, in which case you prevent the issue by using the new "details" option when making more wheelbarrows. Or you can treat the problem by trading away and/or dumping any wheelbarrows that might cause problems.

Even then, chance are whatever's in the wheelbarrow during hauling will cause more trouble than the wheelbarrow itself.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: April 04, 2016, 01:21:16 pm »

I would forbid all wb except the one you want to assign to a specific stockpile, then assign it via the stockpile menù

it should work

but why?
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: April 04, 2016, 01:30:10 pm »

Exactly, you can but there aren't a lot of reasons why it'd be essential. ¿Por que?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: April 04, 2016, 01:32:03 pm »

I demand that my rock stockpiles be staffed with only the finest color coordinated stone and wheelbarrows.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: April 04, 2016, 02:32:26 pm »

Some of my dwarves are milling about in a random location (strangely they are pretty close to each other) that is not designated as a meeting area. They are standing around, with "No job" and getting thirsty and hungry but not doing anything about it. Some of the dwarves in my military have reverted to there civilian roles and are among these random dwarves, but other militia members are not. None them are insane or anything like it.

Sounds like you've managed to break connectivity (by removing stairs or ramps, making ramps unusable, or blocking the passage with impassible workshop tiles). You can use station orders to "walk" your military closer and closer to the location of the stranded dwarves to figure out approximately where the break is.

Apparently it's claimed if you keep the hatches over your pits of glory forbidden, pitters MIGHT be able to dump prisoners safely, but I've yet to test this.

Even then, using built cages and levers is the safest, but most pain-staking, method. You would've had to use that method on fliers and thieves anyway.

Try replacing your hatches with bridges. Due to a bug, dwarves will pit creatures below the bridge even though the bridge itself cannot be opened. I haven't tested it, but the bridge should stop creatures from climbing back up.

You can also use a minecart-shotgun approach to empty cages, though that's rather more complicated.

but why?

Hauling around magma-filled minecarts will rapidly destroy non-magma-safe wheelbarrows, for one example.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: April 04, 2016, 02:52:52 pm »

Try replacing your hatches with bridges. Due to a bug, dwarves will pit creatures below the bridge even though the bridge itself cannot be opened. I haven't tested it, but the bridge should stop creatures from climbing back up.

Ooh. OOH. Yesss. I've exploited the everloving fuck out of the "digging from underneath a bridge" exploit, so more physics fuckery involving bridges would be delicious.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: April 04, 2016, 03:06:16 pm »

Are 'everlasting fucks' like the gobstoppers?
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: April 04, 2016, 03:15:25 pm »

Are 'everlasting fucks' like the gobstoppers?

Maybe, but not as tasty as an everloving fuck. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: April 04, 2016, 11:37:32 pm »

Is there a way to specify which wheelbarrows should a stockpile use that does not involve the use of burrows or temporarily forbidding all other wheelbarrows?

If you have excess wheelbarrows, then wheelbarrows already assigned to a stockpile won't be moved to a new one.  Therefore, if say, you want those nickel wheelbarrows to move those nickel minecarts full of magma, then all you really need to do is forbid the other non-nickel wheelbarrows in your wheelbarrow stockpile then create your minecart stockpile with three wheelbarrows.  I think you'll actually need to have the nickel minecarts ready to transport before they'll move the nickel wheelbarrows from storage.  After the nickel wheelbarrows are there though, again assuming you keep excess wheelbarrows around, you shouldn't have to worry about them being moved to another stockpile.

I don't honestly know the rules when you're short wheelbarrows, but it seems like I've seen them yoink wheelbarrows from other stockpiles when needed.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: April 04, 2016, 11:41:23 pm »

Now my question.  Why have my dwarves stopped moving caged invaders to their new cage home?  There are already twenty or so in there, but that shouldn't be a limit.  The only one listed in the job queue is an animated severed hand, but no dwarf is taking the job - despite there being about a dozen dwarves in the library with green reading jobs.  Is it possible the hand can't be transferred and it's somehow blocking anything else from being moved to the cage?

edit: Sorry, not a hand - an animated dog head.  Same thing - animated parts is animated parts.

edit 2:  So unassigning the body parts got them to start transferring corpses again.  So now the question is why?  Can body parts not be moved?  Is my only choice going to be magma-dumping the yak hair that wants to eat my dwarfs faces?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 12:11:19 am by Mostali »

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: April 05, 2016, 05:44:41 am »

Hauling around magma-filled minecarts will rapidly destroy non-magma-safe wheelbarrows, for one example.
wait.....

a wheelbarrow can haul a minecart? shouldn't be the other way around?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: April 05, 2016, 05:56:18 am »

well no.

how else would you carry the magma?
PKs DF Mod!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: April 05, 2016, 06:29:38 am »

fireproof wheelbarrow
Black lives matter.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: April 06, 2016, 09:50:43 am »

fireproof wheelbarrow
and how would you fill the wheelbarrow?

what he said makes sense (in a dorf way... lol)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: April 06, 2016, 10:03:09 am »

you put the lava in the cart in the barrow
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 268