Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 438809 times)

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2760 on: April 20, 2016, 04:06:56 pm »

I have no trouble with miners in my citizen milita.  When not mining, they are in uniform, when mining they swap to civilian clothes.  The reason it's said you need two picks per miner is if you assign your miners a pick as a weapon.  I generally avoid the situation by making miners wrestlers.

This is actually a bigger problem than the "need two picks" issue. I frequently graduate to giving my civilians basic uniforms instead of clothing, but miners refusing to mine while in uniform prevents me from totally eliminating the need to ever produce replacement clothes.

Here's a snapshot of my current fort - 27 dwarfs in 6 citizen squads, 6 miners - 1 per squad.  Squads rotate training through the year, so there is always one squad (incl one miner) training.  Of the six miners right at this paused moment -
1 is training in military uniform.
5 are doing (Store Owned Item, Drink, Strange Mood, Eat, Construct Building) all in clothing (should be in uniform like everyone else).
3 are carrying their picks.
10 additional picks in storage.
I assign all of my mining at once each month with different priorities depending on what I want done, and just let them go and see how much they finish.  At this point I'm about to designate new mining, but all mining jobs from last month are complete.

So, it would appear that I'm wrong about miners wearing uniforms when not mining.  But, they are wearing uniforms to train and all of the mining is getting done, so I'm happy (or at least somewhat focused with satisfied needs).

Also, this may be a factor, I take the time to assign specific armor for each dwarf.  It's possible that may be keep my miners from getting tangled up in other uniforms problems.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: April 21, 2016, 07:00:56 pm »

Can someone link me to the Wiki page for what the Arrows mean?  Or tell me what they are called?

I looked up Moods but that wasn't it.  I've got the typical blue (thirsty) and brown (hungry) but recently got a yellow arrow on two guys and wanted to look up what that meant.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: April 21, 2016, 07:09:02 pm »

Can someone link me to the Wiki page for what the Arrows mean?  Or tell me what they are called?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Status_icon
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: April 22, 2016, 08:32:25 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Status_icon
Status....duh.  Thanks.  I was drawing a blank on that one yesterday.

Hmm, strange but the yellow arrow is not on that list.  Possibly a "new" status/mood?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 08:35:14 am by ragincajun »
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: April 22, 2016, 08:39:45 am »

It's "disoriented distracted" I believe.  You can "v" the unit and "w" its wounds and it will list the status.

edit: fixed for posterity
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:11:41 am by Mostali »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: April 22, 2016, 10:16:28 am »

Distracted, yeah. It occurs when too many emotional needs go unmet for too long, which is separate from happiness (though distractions can ALSO cause unhappy thoughts).

Since the stress system is currently poorly balanced ( http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9660 ), the minor penalty for being unfocused is the earliest possible incentive you'll get for keeping your dwarves happy. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: April 22, 2016, 10:27:37 am »

oh?

I know there are a few things thate page doesnt show.  So one more hunh?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: April 29, 2016, 09:19:43 am »

Training Weapons....

I don't have my metal up and running yet so I have my first two squads armed with wood shields and training weapons.  Do they NOT learn skills from this?

Also, can they not kill anything with them?  I've had one or two kill a kobold thief pretty quickly with no weapons...but they've been beating on a poor emu in a group of eight for almost 80 pages and while there are injuries they've been unable to kill it.  WTH?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: April 29, 2016, 09:32:26 am »

Training Weapons....

I don't have my metal up and running yet so I have my first two squads armed with wood shields and training weapons.  Do they NOT learn skills from this?

Also, can they not kill anything with them?  I've had one or two kill a kobold thief pretty quickly with no weapons...but they've been beating on a poor emu in a group of eight for almost 80 pages and while there are injuries they've been unable to kill it.  WTH?
How long have they been training? Are they even set up to train properly (i.e., Active/Train mode, barracks set to train) and not just hoping they'll practice on their own when they feel like it? Do they have the training weapons in their inventory?

Even if everything's set up properly, training weapons were designed to minimize damage back when sparring hurt. You're probably going to get more damage from their fists than their weapons.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: April 29, 2016, 09:43:56 am »

Training Weapons....

How long have they been training? Are they even set up to train properly (i.e., Active/Train mode, barracks set to train) and not just hoping they'll practice on their own when they feel like it? Do they have the training weapons in their inventory?

Even if everything's set up properly, training weapons were designed to minimize damage back when sparring hurt. You're probably going to get more damage from their fists than their weapons.

Haven't been training long, just set them up recently.  Barracks in place one for melee and one for archery.  All had 3 ratings in their specific weapon skill (for melee).  I figured with 80 pages of attacks they'd have gotten a little better...but no change.  Was hoping this would ramp up their skills quickly.  I've seen it jump from 3-4 in minutes with metal weapons so wasn't sure if wood weapons didn't help skill up.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: April 29, 2016, 12:41:27 pm »

Sparring with training weapons should be giving skill increases.  If it's not doing so, then that's a bug that should be investigated.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: May 11, 2016, 12:24:07 pm »

Halp!  ;)
What can I do about my dorfs not doing enough work. There's lots that needs to be done, but everyone available are socializing, listening to stories, etc. I have 12 jewelers and 4 workshops, all 4 idle. I have 10 crafters and the kiln is idle.

Perhaps allowing all those visiting bards residency was a mistake.
0.42.04, lnp

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: May 11, 2016, 02:12:27 pm »

Halp!  ;)
What can I do about my dorfs not doing enough work. There's lots that needs to be done, but everyone available are socializing, listening to stories, etc. I have 12 jewelers and 4 workshops, all 4 idle. I have 10 crafters and the kiln is idle.

0.42.04, lnp

Unset your taverns, libraries, and temples as active, or un-assign them, etc.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: May 11, 2016, 09:51:31 pm »

Halp!  ;)

0.42.04, lnp

If it's just the crafting jobs that aren't getting done then your workshops could be cluttered.  If nothing is getting done and their socializing, etc jobs are purple, then you may need to let them "satisfy their needs" by letting the jobs queue clear.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: May 12, 2016, 01:09:28 am »

What's the minimum you need to survive the night against Boogeymen as an adventurer? Walls, roof, doors? Floor? Is it possible to wall yourself in?
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 268