Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 440138 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2985 on: September 20, 2016, 07:49:18 pm »

Pretty sure the beastman would have to be named for them to be tracked.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: September 27, 2016, 10:54:20 am »

If I have found the instrument, is there the way to figure out what civilization it belongs to?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: September 27, 2016, 11:20:37 am »

Off the top of my head, see which civ's caravans bring it or embark as each civilization (requires modding) and see if giving an order to make one('s parts) through manager is possible.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: September 27, 2016, 11:33:50 am »

I actually hoped that game store this data in some readible way.

If not, then I think to embark with all civilizations is the way I shall use, thank you.
Caravans are too rare, unreliable and are coming from the limited number of civilization...

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: September 28, 2016, 02:54:48 pm »

Welp, I found out after starting and going on until the second migrant wave that my parent civ in this world is probably dead. Is there any way to enable a tell in the civ select/embark screen that shows whether a parent civ is dead or am I just unobservant?

Probably going to need to alter raws to make dwarves grow up faster...

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: September 28, 2016, 05:58:24 pm »

Welp, I found out after starting and going on until the second migrant wave that my parent civ in this world is probably dead. Is there any way to enable a tell in the civ select/embark screen that shows whether a parent civ is dead or am I just unobservant?

If you dump the txt files from the site selection or world generation screens, you can investigate them to find out the dwarven population that's left.  If it's really low, you can assume the civ is dead and they're just living in random towns.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: September 28, 2016, 06:19:58 pm »

If you dump the txt files from the site selection or world generation screens, you can investigate them to find out the dwarven population that's left.  If it's really low, you can assume the civ is dead and they're just living in random towns.

I'm pondering restarting anyway, less than a year in and I made a few tunnel choices that I'm regretting now...

Briefly considered seeing if I could bolster the ranks with tavern citizens but reading further it appears you can't control them as well as normal dwarves?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: September 28, 2016, 08:57:46 pm »

Welp, I found out after starting and going on until the second migrant wave that my parent civ in this world is probably dead.

What led you to that conclusion? The size of the first two waves is unaffected by your civilization's population. Many players report "dead" civilizations that aren't really "dead"; if you received a dwarven caravan, liaison, third migrant wave, or an appointed monarch then your civilization is not truly dead. If you receive none of those for multiple years then your civilization might be dead. In the more recent versions (v0.42+), truly dead civilizations occur quite rarely.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: September 28, 2016, 09:17:59 pm »

Welp, I found out after starting and going on until the second migrant wave that my parent civ in this world is probably dead.

What led you to that conclusion? The size of the first two waves is unaffected by your civilization's population. Many players report "dead" civilizations that aren't really "dead"; if you received a dwarven caravan, liaison, third migrant wave, or an appointed monarch then your civilization is not truly dead. If you receive none of those for multiple years then your civilization might be dead. In the more recent versions (v0.42+), truly dead civilizations occur quite rarely.

I didn't get an outpost liason and I looked up why. Long after the fact I also checked legends and reports about the kingdom stopped after around the third century and I genned till 7th century.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: September 29, 2016, 12:55:19 am »

Appologies for the double post but just ran into something. [SKILL_RATES:100:NONE:NONE:NONE] is supposed to keep skills from rusting right? I have it in the dwarf raws but I still see rusty next to some of my dwarve's skills... Similar for the mental and phys attributes.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: September 29, 2016, 01:11:22 am »

The quickest way to tell is to embark as that civ, and check your 'c'ivilization screen in game. If it is completely empty, gg.

Also, if there's even a single alive civ available, dead ones won't show up.

This doesn't work, precisely.

Even if the last dwarf died a 1000 years ago, the dwarven civ may still be just dying, not dead.
Briefly considered seeing if I could bolster the ranks with tavern citizens but reading further it appears you can't control them as well as normal dwarves?
From taverns, you can get mercs, which are only for soldiering - not great, but hey - animal men wielding great axes is kind of cool.

All other residential applications will apply to become citizens with the same mayor in two years, however. Though if this is months later or half a hour later depends on how you run your fort :v

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: September 30, 2016, 03:47:33 am »

What range do megabeasts lairs have (i'm talking about range in which you need to be, in order to be attacked by goblins/humans/elves/someone else)? Because i never got megabeast attacks, i did received semi-megabeasts attacks, however.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: September 30, 2016, 04:32:21 am »

What range do megabeasts lairs have (i'm talking about range in which you need to be, in order to be attacked by goblins/humans/elves/someone else)? Because i never got megabeast attacks, i did received semi-megabeasts attacks, however.
Are you askking this specifically for the old version?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: September 30, 2016, 06:10:59 am »

Are you askking this specifically for the old version?

If by old you mean 43.03, then yes. Let me guess, siege range mechanics is different in 43.05?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: September 30, 2016, 12:32:51 pm »

Is it just me or does one get more peasants in migrant waves these days? Almost seems like a solid 1/4th to 1/3rd are listed as peasants and oftentimes only have skills in poetry/dancing/music.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 268