Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1849125 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4245 on: May 11, 2016, 10:40:16 pm »

The plan was always 64-bit before artifacts AFAIK.
Toady is going to need 64 bits to top Planepacked :)

And your comment reminded me that we have always been at war with Eastasia.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: May 12, 2016, 12:24:01 am »

The plan was always 64-bit before artifacts AFAIK.
Toady is going to need 64 bits to top Planepacked :)

And your comment reminded me that we have always been at war with Eastasia.
It was announced on 24th October 2015, and he alluded to a 64 bit release to solve certain problems before that at a panel discussion in August (posted on Sep 16th).
What do you think Toady changed his mind about?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: May 12, 2016, 12:36:16 am »

I mean before, there was mention of the idea that Toady was hesitant to start on making it 64-bit due to the belief that it'd be complex to implement.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: May 12, 2016, 12:43:21 am »

I mean before, there was mention of the idea that Toady was hesitant to start on making it 64-bit due to the belief that it'd be complex to implement.
There was mention...

There's also mention that Toady has no intention of ever improving the UI or graphics support (despite both being in the planning notes), hates all mods (despite increased flexibility and modability being in the planning notes and various praise for mods in various interviews). And so on. Amazing how much Toady 'is said to have thought' but somehow left no record.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 12:48:10 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: May 12, 2016, 12:50:47 am »

Who ever said that Toady hates mods?  I recall him saying that he never plays mods (unless someone sends him a modded save on the bug tracker).

Besides, who could ever hate adorable little Pet Rocks?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: May 12, 2016, 01:48:59 am »

Read carefully. This is a figure of speech, he does not think this. It's more in reaction to Random_Dragon.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: May 12, 2016, 02:13:55 am »

Hah, I can't see how anyone could think Toady hates mods, considering that he made a whole sub-board for them. :D
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: May 12, 2016, 02:18:43 am »

In this case it seems to be hyperbole on the part of other people misinterpreting Toady's remarks, which I derped and took as accurate. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: May 12, 2016, 04:04:18 am »

Mostly it's over at Reddit than here. But it was only a few days ago someone yet again mentioned there that Toady had no plans to ever improve the UI.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:10:07 am by Shonai_Dweller »

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: May 12, 2016, 04:35:13 am »

Bit of a random question here, sorry if it's been brought up before:
In the preview for the myth generator you showed that all creation originated from a single primordial entity (Eternal mist, etc), will there be cases where multiple entities (eg Muspell + Niflheim) behave as the universe's progenitor?
Will there be deities with unknown / foreign origins to the main dynasty (eg Vanir to the Aesir)?
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: May 12, 2016, 05:47:18 am »

Toady, do you intend for plants with the same name as RL plants to share as many properties with the RL plants as possible?

If that's vague/confusing, here's a more concrete question: Is the bayberry tree supposed to act like real-life bayberry trees do, as much as possible?

(see here)

Edit: Not sure why I thought I was supposed to bold my questions. Makes it hard as circus to read.
To clarify the question: Is DF bayberry supposed to be a specific species, or a blending of different IRL species? The linked thread points out that they grow fruit, but are in climates that non-edible species are found in.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: May 12, 2016, 12:00:01 pm »

It's worth noting that this "idea" about Toady and 64-bit has it's roots in people asking about 64-bit for years, and for years the answer has been "not yet." Most devs saying that would really mean "not ever," but most devs don't have the luxury Toady has of a 20-year development plan. It was always part of the plan, we've just finally gotten to the point it needs to happen over the course of the last few release cycles.

Same story with the UI stuff basically, except we're still in the "not yet" part of the plan and likely will be for another decade.

Hah, I can't see how anyone could think Toady hates mods, considering that he made a whole sub-board for them. :D

Especially with how considerate he is of modders; anyone following FotF for a while will have seen him explain mechanical details and raw tokens for the changes he's making, even as far as sneak peeks, just so people can maintain their mods and update more quickly once the release is out.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: May 12, 2016, 01:53:58 pm »

He's even revealed what some of the stuff inside DF's innards means, when asked.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: May 12, 2016, 02:01:08 pm »

Will adventurers be able to find uses for instruments that are similar to those they're familiar with? Like say, using a drum of one sort in place of a drum they don't have. Or maybe composing new songs that use instruments in their inventory, or selecting what they want to compose a song for, etc?

Because finding exactly what I need for the only forms of music I know can be annoying. Thing is, I have no idea what would be the easiest way to handle use of inexact instruments, code-wise. Though just allowing the use of different instruments of the same skill, for a skill penalty less severe than instrumentless improv, would be a massive improvement.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: May 12, 2016, 08:57:37 pm »

He's even revealed what some of the stuff inside DF's innards means, when asked.
Yup, even pointed me to the right flag for safe landings to make launch.lua usable without slamming into the ground face first every time!
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 306