Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1849434 times)

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS_6ARMS]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #465 on: September 18, 2014, 12:45:08 pm »

Will the ingame movie recorder (push ; to activate it) ever support arbitrarily long movies? It seems to always bring the ;-screen back up after a few minutes and that forces me to end the movie. The format seems like it would support movies of any length, though.

Ignore that - I seem to be remembering a bug that got fixed at some point.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 06:34:46 pm by BenLubar »

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 18, 2014, 12:58:50 pm »

So, how long will it be (in terms of development goals, not the actual release time, which is naturally hard to predict) until army battles are simulated in post world-gen? The fact that the aggressor always wins is in my opinion, the biggest issue with how post-worldgen history progression currently works, game mechanics wise; it almost inevitably leads to goblins (and sometimes humans) taking over the majority of the world within a few decades to a century.

While I recall that roads aren't built and megabeast attacks don't occur after world-gen (outside of fortress mode) as well, that doesn't seem to destabilize things nearly as much as the goblin blitzkrieg. If it's not something that will happen for a long, long time (not until the next major version), is there any possibility that a sort of stopgag might be put in so that post-worldgen invasions can have diverse outcomes, even if it's just a population based dice roll?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 18, 2014, 02:23:35 pm »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 18, 2014, 07:12:05 pm »

The official word is "an unsanctioned mess of C and C++", IIRC. You can sorta see Toady's pre-DF coding style in Liberal Crime Squad, which was one very large C++ file with no classes.

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 18, 2014, 07:26:30 pm »

The official word is "an unsanctioned mess of C and C++", IIRC. You can sorta see Toady's pre-DF coding style in Liberal Crime Squad, which was one very large C++ file with no classes.

Just browsed through the LCS source.

This is insane.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 19, 2014, 12:34:15 pm »

Latest news brings up three questions:

How will fruit and vegetable refinement be handled?
Will fruits and vegetables still bear a biscuits/stew/roast description when cooked, or will they be different and more plausible such as pie, jam or cobbler?
If fruits and vegetables are able to be pressed into drinkable juice, or millled into meal, powder or spice, can these juices and spices be used to make finer drinks?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:38:33 pm by PigtailLlama »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 19, 2014, 12:49:31 pm »

Latest news brings up three questions:

How will fruit and vegetable refinement be handled?
Will fruits and vegetables still bear a biscuits/stew/roast description when cooked, or will they be different and more plausible such as pie, jam or cobbler?
If fruits and vegetables are able to be pressed into drinkable juice, or millled into meal, powder or spice, can these juices and spices be used to make finer drinks?
All of those are pretty much Tavern "arc" questions. Tavern work is one of the leading candidates for the post-bugfix large release work, and would likely include recipes, improved meals and drinks, using spices, and the like. For the next release, yes, cooked fruits will still use the in-raw meal item types.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

KrEstoF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 19, 2014, 12:51:33 pm »

Hey toady, not to nag but:

Do you think you could prioritize fixing the bug where pulped body parts still function? I think this is a terrible bug which ruins all forms of combat in the game.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 19, 2014, 02:11:38 pm »

If you're talking about this report, its status (our primary method of indicating priorities) is already "confirmed".
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 20, 2014, 11:19:39 pm »

so we'll see how fortress-wide meltdowns are affected

So we’re going to have more ways a 200 dwarf fort can end in mass rioting?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

KrEstoF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 21, 2014, 01:58:26 am »

If you're talking about this report, its status (our primary method of indicating priorities) is already "confirmed".

I don't know what "confirmed" is supposed to mean, aside from some admin reproduced the bug. What I'm asking is just that it actually gets fixed. There are other similar bug reports with the "new" status, and they deserve a higher priority than "minor", imo.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #476 on: September 21, 2014, 04:42:52 am »

KreEstoF, what Lethosolor is trying to say is that is that the bugtracker doesn't do priorities(priorities you see on the bug tracker are always done by reporters). Toady just chooses at near-random.

The only bugs that do get priority are crashes.

To get back on topic, the current devlog sounds foreboding.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 21, 2014, 04:56:28 am »

I don't know what "confirmed" is supposed to mean, aside from some admin reproduced the bug. What I'm asking is just that it actually gets fixed. There are other similar bug reports with the "new" status, and they deserve a higher priority than "minor", imo.
Why is your pet bug more important then someone elses pet bug? You don't think ToadyOne is aware there are bugs in the game?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 21, 2014, 08:42:20 am »

KreEstoF, what Lethosolor is trying to say is that is that the bugtracker doesn't do priorities(priorities you see on the bug tracker are always done by reporters). Toady just chooses at near-random.

The only bugs that do get priority are crashes.

To get back on topic, the current devlog sounds foreboding.

There's a couple of adventure mode crashes that I'd really like him to look at but he doesn't seem to have looked at.

Yeah the newest devlog sound foreboding in the sense of !!!FUN!!! and bugs.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #479 on: September 21, 2014, 02:18:08 pm »

A random discussion on IRC brought up a rather curious issue with movie recording, and I'm not sure why it's the way it is:
Why does Dwarf Fortress stop CMV recording once the file size exceeds 5 million bytes? Was there originally some reason behind that limitation? (the relevant code is in g_src/interface.cpp lines 1385-1391)
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 306