Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1849491 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #825 on: December 01, 2014, 02:44:20 pm »

@smeeprocket: Beached whale probably, and the fisherdwarf just happened to get tasked to haul it.

Anyways, a sort of errorlog related query for you guys, I'm noticing that this save I have is generating lots of (20+) 'succession traveller out of bounds' errors while in the calendar screen. I haven't seen it do that before, and I'm thinking of making a bug report. However, that's the only thing to the bug, so I'm not sure if it's worthy of a bug report, then again, it could be indicative of some other problem. This is after my adventurer died, so it's not a fresh new game.

Not to mention that it's rather vague, like a 'theres this odd thing happening', and I have no idea how useful it would be to Toady One. It also happens when starting a new fort.

Edit: I think I'll just keep an eye on the save.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 02:49:24 pm by smjjames »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: December 01, 2014, 06:13:32 pm »

Will we ever be able to enslave captured invaders/innocent elves, chain them up and make them do easy jobs?(e.g. Farming)

Dwarves consider slavery a capital offense; being a known slaver means you are executed.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 01, 2014, 06:21:10 pm »

Will we ever be able to enslave captured invaders/innocent elves, chain them up and make them do easy jobs?(e.g. Farming)

Dwarves consider slavery a capital offense; being a known slaver means you are executed.

What about prisoners of war? I'm pretty sure there aren't any ethics tags regarding POWs and the Geneva Convention doesn't exist. Though there are general ethics for torture, so theres that.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: December 01, 2014, 06:58:34 pm »

They also consider torture very bad.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 01, 2014, 07:26:03 pm »

If not, will we at leats be able to sell captured invaders to human caravans?

specific suggestions belong for the most part in the suggestion forum

Was any consideration given to rolling the gelding task into the Animal Caretaker skill? If the Animal Caretaker skill/profession is intended to develop into a veterinary role, isn't having a separate skill duplicative?

Toady's last post covered this:
Added gelding and associated profession/skill/etc.

I also would have thought as either a medical skill (like surgery) or animal something (like animal caring or training). Creating a new competence for just gelding is (IMHO) a waste of time and clarity in skills unless....unless...it will eventually become a fighting skill :p

About multiplication of skills, I think someday Toady will simplify it and it will be much better after that, like for all things he did before. (first steps, densification, complexification, complete mess, then rationalisation and new system)
Why not creating, for example, a "Creating" skill, which will include potery,metalsmith,wax worker, leather, cloth, etc...and could be coupled with a material preference ? I know it's not the place to make suggestion, but here is my question related to profession anyway :

Do you plan one day of simplifying the profession tree, and if yes, could you tell us more about it ?

I don't think it's an improvement to collapse everything down to one skill, though I think the current system suffers from a lack of overlap.  At the same time, I'd like to separate experience/practice from knowledge (which could lead to some collapse of practiced skills, maybe).  We had a kind of disastrous thing prepared for the Armok game, where the materials and different methods were taken into consideration, and I'm not really sure where we'll end up here.  The new gelding stuff is a stark notice that things need to be adjusted, but a rewrite at the time would have been too time-consuming (since jobs/skills/professions/buildings are too closely linked), and the issue of bizarrely-specialized migrants is only tangentially related to the overall skill system -- there needs to be some sort of "life path" sim for non-historical critters, and the work histories of historical critters need to make sense.  Even if somebody be trained as just a skilled gelder, it wouldn't have been a viable career for the average person.

The messiness of the skill system wouldn't matter so much if it weren't for the profession setting stuff, I suspect.  We'll have to see how experiments play out with the start scenarios that remove/curtail v-p-l profession setting.  Start scenarios would be strengthened by a knowledge system, but it's unclear what we'll get to.  It'd be interesting to see how forts work if certain jobs can only be done in a tragically shoddy fashion if relevant knowledge is not possessed by any current citizens.  It's the sort of thing that can be reverse-engineered into invention/knowledge advancement as well, though we have to be careful about that.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: December 01, 2014, 09:22:45 pm »

What curly bracket style do you use in c++?

and

Have you updated to SDL2?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: December 01, 2014, 09:27:29 pm »

No - DF still distributes SDL 1.2.13. SDL 1.2.15 works, as far as I know, but upgrading to SDL 2 could be a challenge.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: December 01, 2014, 09:46:55 pm »

No - DF still distributes SDL 1.2.13. SDL 1.2.15 works, as far as I know, but upgrading to SDL 2 could be a challenge.

Wouldnt SDL2 hardware acceleration solve everyones FPS issues?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #833 on: December 01, 2014, 09:49:46 pm »

They have nothing in common.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: December 01, 2014, 09:51:16 pm »

So blitting 800 tiles with software has no performance effect?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #835 on: December 01, 2014, 09:54:19 pm »

It's not done in software unless you have set PRINT_MODE to 2D. SDL 2 is just an another SDL version, they're all using OpenGL, no difference here.

But even in "2D" mode no, it has no performance effect because rendering is running on one core and world simulation on another.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: December 01, 2014, 09:57:47 pm »

It's not done in software unless you have set PRINT_MODE to 2D. SDL 2 is just an another SDL version, they're all using OpenGL, no difference here.

But even in "2D" mode no, it has no performance effect because rendering is running on one core and world simulation on another.

mmmm, I dont think so. I program in c++ using SDL and have used both versions. There is no GPU use at all in SDL1, while pretty much everything is hardware accelerated in SDL2. And they don't  use openGL at all.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 10:03:46 pm by k33n »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: December 01, 2014, 10:07:05 pm »

True, but didn't the ethics recently become less rigid and variable by individual dwarf? You might conceivably engineer a situation where all of your dwarves are sociopathic slavers which would make the interaction valid if you're willing to split off from the rest of your civilization's ethics.

It is the sort of timeline question where I expect the official answer to be "Sounds good, no timeline," but I seem to recall Toady touching on dwarf mode Prisoners of War and the like as part of the Thief arc... in a DF Talk maybe? Dunno.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: December 01, 2014, 10:07:29 pm »

As a person who's delved into the inner workings of DF, including overriding the drawing, yes, it very much does use opengl.

A better question would be weather there's plans to upgrade the compiler and go for 64bit.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: December 01, 2014, 10:11:11 pm »

As a person who's delved into the inner workings of DF, including overriding the drawing, yes, it very much does use opengl.

A better question would be weather there's plans to upgrade the compiler and go for 64bit.

Oh, I wasnt talking about DF in general, just the SDL libs in my question.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 306