Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1849423 times)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3630 on: March 12, 2016, 05:41:52 am »

Are demons supposed to be wandering the surface world in any capacity and attacking adventure mode NPC fortresses?  Is this behavior a bug or a feuture?

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: March 12, 2016, 07:40:14 am »

Are demons supposed to be wandering the surface world in any capacity and attacking adventure mode NPC fortresses?  Is this behavior a bug or a feuture?

Sometimes they emerge and take over a human or goblin civ.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: March 12, 2016, 08:01:44 am »

Since we now have procedurally generated artforms, values and instruments, what's going to be the next part of the game to be procedurally generated?
Recipes.

Dwarven logic dictates that opening up the skull gives them an effectively infinite cranial capacity, via being exposed to the open air. Ergo, bashing a elf's skull in only makes them smarter. o3o
But then they're just airheads.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 08:03:19 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: March 12, 2016, 08:03:57 am »

I am not talking about those demons, I am talking about groups of demons wandering into adventure mode sites in adventurer mode and going on the rampage. 

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3634 on: March 12, 2016, 10:32:40 am »

I am not talking about those demons, I am talking about groups of demons wandering into adventure mode sites in adventurer mode and going on the rampage.

Sometimes they emerge and fail to take over a  human or goblin Civ, resulting in wandering demons though it's rare.
Did you breach hell recently?

Also those sites exist regardless of whether you are in adventure mode you should really specify which kind of site. Since we have world activation. Actual "Adventurer sites" are in the next version and are sites actually built by the player.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 10:42:18 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: March 12, 2016, 11:05:32 am »

Sometimes they emerge and fail to take over a  human or goblin Civ, resulting in wandering demons though it's rare.
That's not happening anymore. Unique demons only arise during "year 0" by raising their slade towers and thus forming a goblin civilization (and goblin civs only arise through that). The wandering demons (which seems to be related to adding modded demons and those fighting with generated ones from my experience) aren't historical unless they've killed enough demons during the fight that "catapulted" them up.

Since we now have procedurally generated artforms, values and instruments, what's going to be the next part of the game to be procedurally generated?
Recipes.
Recipes and games are on hold. It's unlikely they're coming unstuck before the myth generator.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3636 on: March 12, 2016, 11:44:43 am »

That's not happening anymore. Unique demons only arise during "year 0" by raising their slade towers and thus forming a goblin civilization (and goblin civs only arise through that). The wandering demons (which seems to be related to adding modded demons and those fighting with generated ones from my experience) aren't historical unless they've killed enough demons during the fight that "catapulted" them up.

Recipes.
Recipes and games are on hold. It's unlikely they're coming unstuck before the myth generator.
I have had a demon in at least version 40.01 that was just hanging around in a bandit camp, so it does happen sometimes. (only 1 demon though) I wish I had looked at the legends entry for it. Unless its civ crumbled or something?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 11:46:52 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: March 12, 2016, 11:55:23 am »

Did you breach hell recently?

Also those sites exist regardless of whether you are in adventure mode you should really specify which kind of site. Since we have world activation. Actual "Adventurer sites" are in the next version and are sites actually built by the player.

Any kind of site will do, I have personally seen demons attack forest retreats and fortresses. 

Is that a confirmed bug then? 

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: March 12, 2016, 12:07:48 pm »

I've had one demon lurking in a cave on a Monster Island, but that was back during early DF2014. It's also always possible for a mapgen hiccup to breach Hell by mistake, so no idea how historygen handles that.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: March 12, 2016, 12:10:08 pm »

Is history even aware of mapgen properly, except for stuff like islands/rivers, etc? As in, do the actual properties of the tiles of the world affect it at all, not just various relevant bits of information e.g. evil? I haven't heard of them doing so.

Reply to Dragon, not a question.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 12:11:53 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: March 12, 2016, 12:24:53 pm »

To be honest, I have no idea. It's possible that, in the example I mentioned previously, it was more of a local check (when the cave was loaded) for what was available to populate the area with. So in addition to the occasional cavern creature inhabiting the cave, there might've been a breach into Hell under the area and so the game spawned a demon in the cave. Which led to a very fast death on my part.

As for other situations, I'm unsure what might cause them.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3641 on: March 12, 2016, 12:56:26 pm »

Is history even aware of mapgen properly, except for stuff like islands/rivers, etc? As in, do the actual properties of the tiles of the world affect it at all, not just various relevant bits of information e.g. evil? I haven't heard of them doing so.

Reply to Dragon, not a question.

I know you said it wasn't a question but mineral veins and where they are and biomes  savagery etc. Are all handled and the game is aware of them. Also armies have to path on the world map, (even during world gen) and  savagery makes the world tougher to settle. And societies are aware of what animals/minerals they have access to and use relevent materials. and Goblins tend tp start in evil biomes and humans elves etc tend to avoid settling those areas, so yes, they are aware of it.
for more info:
http://www.bay12games.com/media/Dwarf_Fortress_Talk_5.mp3
I am an indie game dev!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: March 12, 2016, 02:46:12 pm »

I have had a demon in at least version 40.01 that was just hanging around in a bandit camp, so it does happen sometimes. (only 1 demon though) I wish I had looked at the legends entry for it. Unless its civ crumbled or something?
Probably from a destroyed civ, or taken as prisoner at some point, yeah.

Is that a confirmed bug then? 
I think so. I'm not sure off-hand if it's on the bug tracker.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: March 12, 2016, 03:07:27 pm »

Do you plan to ever make the north and south have opposing seasons?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: March 12, 2016, 03:19:04 pm »

Do you plan to ever make the north and south have opposing seasons?
I'm guessing you mean only when the regions have poles on both sides of the map right?
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 306