Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1849459 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4275 on: May 16, 2016, 12:32:45 am »

How difficult would it be to allow a caste to override the random selection of what caste to birth with a specific caste of the modder choice or even have a specific sub list of castes to produce? This seems like a feature that would give a lot of power to modders and it is somthing I have been waiting to be introduced for several years now :P
Isn't that what pop_ratio does? When I did my steel angel experiment they were all female and often had trouble with world-gen pop numbers, later I added a 1:5000 ratio male adventurer-tuned caste and while they were around enough to keep them breeding and whatnot, checking legends I rarely saw them, and never encountered one in game. I did a similar thing with my dwarf male/female/dorf adventurer caste thing, where the dorfs had 0 ratio so they only showed up once in a blue moon during world-gen weirdness, unless chosen by a player to use that caste.

Ohhhh, I got a question again!

Love the fixed fame/bandit/citizens relationships and hearthperson quests, btw, and I do a lot of variations of them in different worlds. In large towns and especially after having become known to random people I meet as a legendary hero I started to observe something. From time to time when I returned to report on and get a new quest I would go and take the side/back exits from the keep (only found them because of civilians liking to use them) and hit the nearest road to start traveling.

Shortly after entering the travel map you get a check for nearby armies and will often see a few pop up and start wandering the streets as usual, but in the case where you're a Big Damn Hero you often find one that will follow you slavishly, even to nearby hamlets and lairs. Upon dropping out of travel mode and investigating I've learned these will generally be a squad of 4~6 recruits and occasionally a couple of skilled soldiers like a marksdorf or hammerelf or whatnot. They always tend to be amazed to meet me, say they are on a mission, do not trigger ambushes when crossing their * on the map, and usually turn back after I get a couple of world map tiles from the home town.

Was this intended behavior, with them being support/back-up or fans, or just an emergent quirk?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: May 16, 2016, 01:25:33 am »

I've noticed that too, I seem to occasionally have random soldiers following along on the travel map.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: May 20, 2016, 07:14:31 am »

The plan is to eventually expand on myth, to give more purpose to spheres and religion, and to have deities interact with the world more, right?

Currently, the only Secret of consequence is Life and Death, which relates to the Death sphere and Necromancy. Personally, I think that granting not only Immortality but also the abilities to raise and control undead is quite the boon, all for just one sphere.

Q1: After spheres are expanded on and there are more Secrets, will the Secret of Life and Death be adjusted/altered at all? Or is it currently as it was originally intended?

Q2: Will there be other Spheres, Secrets or deity boons which might grant Immortality?

I'd really appreciate the option to make favorite adventurers Immortal without turning them into a Necromancer, so I could potentially see them persist beyond old age after retirement. And I'd rather not have my retired adventurers raise undead, merely because they can. Other options involve using an immortal race like Elf, or cursing the adventurer into a werebeast or vampire. None of these options sound very appealing to me.

It does not sound like there is a sphere of "Life". But, if you think about it, it makes at least as much sense for the Spheres of Longevity and Youth to be associated with Immortality (compared to Death). In my mind, at least, the Secret of Death should be limited to just Necromancy and not include Immortality. Immortality is the secret of Life, which is the polar opposite of Death. And being immortal makes the individual immune to Death. I think most deities of the sphere of Death would be upset with that. (They would probably preach that Death is not to be feared, etc...)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 07:21:34 am by Thundercraft »

Grus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: May 22, 2016, 02:32:33 pm »

Why are demonic fortresses gone, and will they ever reappear? All I could find was a previous FOTF reply where you couldn't remember why you commented them out. Did you recall why?

Jimmius

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of Drink and Industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: May 24, 2016, 04:33:48 pm »

Will there be momentum-based weapons (I.E Lances) to give mounted troops an edge when the big Military Arc begins?

I'd love for mounted units to play a larger part than just sometimes having the mount be a dangerous creature. The Military side of things has me most excited, in fact it's probably one of my joint top 'I'll give my soul to Armok if this was implemented tomorrow' feature. The other being Multithreading  ;)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 04:56:03 pm by Jimmius »

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: May 24, 2016, 05:11:38 pm »

Will there be momentum-based weapons (I.E Lances) to give mounted troops an edge when the big Military Arc begins?

I'd love for mounted units to play a larger part than just sometimes having the mount be a dangerous creature. The Military side of things has me most excited, in fact it's probably one of my joint top 'I'll give my soul to Armok if this was implemented tomorrow' feature. The other being Multithreading  ;)
I'm pretty sure when combat and movement speed were split all weapons got bonuses to damage the faster you were moving. It's just not a very well documented mechanic. I remember when he added the ability to have creatures ride other creaturs in the object testing arena he talked about controlling a horse and trying to get their rider the best attack velocity bonuses.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Jimmius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: May 24, 2016, 05:21:36 pm »

I'm pretty sure when combat and movement speed were split all weapons got bonuses to damage the faster you were moving. It's just not a very well documented mechanic. I remember when he added the ability to have creatures ride other creaturs in the object testing arena he talked about controlling a horse and trying to get their rider the best attack velocity bonuses.

Ah that's interesting. It's not something I've really noticed, as currently Dwarves cannot ride mounts (and to be fair, they are too small for horses) and Sieger AI just charges and then 'sticks' in close quarters, rather than gaining momentum for continuous attacks.

Still, I'd like a 'lance' weapon that's practically usless at slow speeds, but super deadly if you're moving fast. Take the current bonuses and ramp them up to 11.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: May 24, 2016, 05:26:59 pm »

Still, I'd like a 'lance' weapon that's practically usless at slow speeds, but super deadly if you're moving fast. Take the current bonuses and ramp them up to 11.
This would probably flow naturally from a low contact area and ridiculously high penetration rating on the weapon.  Need a lot of velocity to actually push the weapon's mass that deep into a target.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: May 24, 2016, 06:02:24 pm »

I'd love for mounted units to play a larger part than just sometimes having the mount be a dangerous creature. The Military side of things has me most excited...
...as currently Dwarves cannot ride mounts...

Myself, I'd be very happy if only Dwarves and/or Adventurers could ride mounts. Never mind how much extra damage they could do: It would be awesome for the roleplaying flavor. It would be so dwarfy for Dwarves to ride into battle on the backs of war-bears.

...I remember when he added the ability to have creatures ride other creaturs in the object testing arena he talked about controlling a horse and trying to get their rider the best attack velocity bonuses.

Wait, what...? ??? Was this mentioned in a Dwarf Fortress Talk or something?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: May 24, 2016, 06:05:20 pm »

Has anyone done any !!SCIENCE!! to both confirm this and see how much it affects damage?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: May 24, 2016, 09:21:10 pm »

I found the DFtalk it was in. http://www.bay12games.com/media/df_talk_21_transcript.html
Just ctrl+f for horse.
thats another thing about the move/combat speed split stuff, it counts your current momentum in the attack, as long as your momentum - your velocity vector or whatever, is pointing toward the guy and the guy is either not moving or not moving away faster from you so that there is actual motion toward the other person. And if a person is running at you, you actually get the same bonus. So as long as there's relative motion, that's at least ninety degrees. So it could be perpendicular motion, or motion toward the person, then you get a bonus to your swing speed that's in line with how fast you're moving, so, and it also takes into account the speed of anything you're riding.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: May 25, 2016, 05:40:14 am »

Will the myth generator have separate settings for 1. frequency of supernatural vs natural beings, 2. overall fantasy-ness of all creatures together and 3. maximum and minimum supernaturalness? Or will there only be an overall "fantasy"-rating for a given world and you'd have to add what else you want with raws?
So what I'm asking is, if I will be able to make one world with a few necromancers, maybe a handful of vampires, 10 forgotten beasts/titans, and no more than a dozen animal people/men, with the usual amount of regular animals and standard races; another world with the same kind of creatures, but more necromancers, vampires, werebeasts, titans, etc, compared to regular animals and races.
And a third one where slightly supernatural creatures (say, elves and dwarves) exist, and slightly more supernatural creatures (maybe vampires and unicorns, creatures with superhuman strength), but neither total fantasy stuff (flying guts, primordial serpent gods), nor completely mundane creatures (dog, cat, human, peach faced lovebird).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:57:15 am by CLA »
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Jimmius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: May 25, 2016, 07:44:58 am »

Will the Myth Generator have an 'as it is now' button? I.E some magical elements, but no procedurally generated races.

A lot of the Dwarf Fortress charm comes from shared ideas and concepts we all have about the races: Dwarfs love mining and booze, Elves are filthy tree huggers, Humans are money obsessed xenophobes. etc. As much fun as a playable race of Bioluminescent Slugmen who hate animals might be, I'd hate to have to give up my Short sturdy creatures fond of Drink and Industry.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: May 25, 2016, 07:57:04 am »

Will the Myth Generator have an 'as it is now' button? I.E some magical elements, but no procedurally generated races.

A lot of the Dwarf Fortress charm comes from shared ideas and concepts we all have about the races: Dwarfs love mining and booze, Elves are filthy tree huggers, Humans are money obsessed xenophobes. etc. As much fun as a playable race of Bioluminescent Slugmen who hate animals might be, I'd hate to have to give up my Short sturdy creatures fond of Drink and Industry.
DF is full of procedurally generated races right now (titans, FB, spoilery things).

Regarding the main races, 'right now' human values are randomized, no more 'money obsessed xenophobes.
In the demo, random races only started appearing at maximum fantasy setting.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:01:22 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: May 25, 2016, 08:47:45 am »

I don't want to get too suggestion-y, just looking for clarity...
Toady, the myth generator is an exciting new feature, and I understand that it is likely to be largely unmoddable at first.  But will modders have the ability to use the fantasy-ness ratings at all?  For example, a tag that makes a creature/interaction/whatever available only if the fantasy rating is in the range X% to Y%?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 306