Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1849403 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4485 on: June 21, 2016, 08:03:49 pm »

Hi!

Back in the 2D days, we had to build a road for wagons to get to the depot, and smooth floors if the depot was underground.  Are there any plans to reinstate that requirement (or something similar/equivalent)?  I always found it added a nice bit of in-game realism, that this (not-so-)distant outpost needed to connect with whatever roads were in the vicinity before getting the massive caravans and more efficient communications with its home base.  And given that the near-future plans include interactions with nearby settlements, this seemed like an appropriate time to bring it up.

-Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 10:12:29 am by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Rinin_Rus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: June 22, 2016, 03:46:49 am »

New manager system is very usefull feature, but is it any plans to add [d]etails feature for bags/barrel related jobs, since now "mill 10 rye flour" or "brew 10 River Spirits" and all other jobs (as I see with more than 1 reagent) cannot be automated without annoying tricks. Or at least is it any plans to add specific products to manager check list? Because "brew alcohol here till it's less than 10 River Spirits" will make life easy enough

Random_Dragon, thanks for reminding about greenification
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 04:05:19 am by Rinin_Rus »
He has a lot of willpower,  but he has very little linguistic ability

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: June 22, 2016, 03:51:06 am »

New manager system is very usefull feature, but is it any plans to add [d]etails feature for bags/barrel related jobs, since now "mill 10 rye flower" or "brew 10 River Spirits" and all other jobs (as I see with more than 1 reagent) cannot be automated without annoying tricks.

Greenify the question so senpai will notice you. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Colev0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: June 23, 2016, 02:35:04 am »

Will animal people be made more viable anytime soon? There's been a couple of quirks surrounding them for quite awhile in both modes of play.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: June 23, 2016, 06:26:31 am »

Will animal people be made more viable anytime soon? There's been a couple of quirks surrounding them for quite awhile in both modes of play.

How exactly do you want this answered apart from 'what quirks, is there a bug report?' before waiting a month for the next Future of the Fortress?

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: June 23, 2016, 11:13:44 am »

I loved the live Dwarf Talk and can't wait for more of those to start up regarding magic and culture. It's given me lots more questions though.

Since kobolds, or at least kobold sites, are getting an update soon will there be any expansions to poisoning weapons or world gen traps to make them comparable in challenge to the other major game races?

Since they're smaller than goblins, occur in lower numbers than goblins, and don't even have armor it seems like the environment will have to be more difficult to navigate, at least until the mechanics are in for tossing scorpions at people or poisoned nets or whatever else has been predicted for them.

Do you have any plans for felled trees or piles of rocks blocking paths for multi-tile things with wheels like wagons or siege engines? Obviously tiles are very fluid when it comes to moving over furniture but it seems like there'd be something missing from the arrival of goblin siege engines if big piles of logs in their path don't need to be cleared out, allowing the dwarves more time to flee or maneuver.

Are elvish abilities (growing weapons, communing with animals) going to become components of the nature sphere under the myth generator, or remain abstracted for the time being? There was a power goal about talking to rabbits and leading them on a revolt, will that make its way in there? Are those terrible wooden armors going to see some kind of magical boost to put them more on par with other races, whether its in regards to strength or the new armor damage system?

Will/do semi-artifacts gradually wear out and is there going to be a way to get armor to semi-artifact status in adventure mode if you're really desperate for that adamantine helm to be passed down to your grandchildren once they're implemented?

Colev0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: June 23, 2016, 11:25:33 am »

How exactly do you want this answered apart from 'what quirks, is there a bug report?' before waiting a month for the next Future of the Fortress?

There're a couple of bug reports; I just wanted to know if there was a plan to address them before the next update or two. Looks like it's too early to ask, though. My bad.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: June 23, 2016, 11:27:24 am »

Are elvish abilities (growing weapons, communing with animals) going to become components of the nature sphere under the myth generator, or remain abstracted for the time being? There was a power goal about talking to rabbits and leading them on a revolt, will that make its way in there? Are those terrible wooden armors going to see some kind of magical boost to put them more on par with other races, whether its in regards to strength or the new armor damage system?
"There you go, Warrior.  Your oaken breastplate has been regrown to be good as new!"
"So, just as crappy as ever?  Gee, thanks."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: June 23, 2016, 11:49:01 am »

Will Threetoe write any more stories any time soon?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4494 on: June 23, 2016, 12:07:53 pm »

Yeah, I've been wondering that.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: June 23, 2016, 12:59:58 pm »

"There you go, Warrior.  Your oaken breastplate has been regrown to be good as new!"
"So, just as crappy as ever?  Gee, thanks."

Worthless armor lasting a long time is important when you're immortal and don't value commerce.

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: June 23, 2016, 01:39:13 pm »

Will version .5 be considered Beta?
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: June 23, 2016, 04:15:34 pm »

There're a couple of bug reports; I just wanted to know if there was a plan to address them before the next update or two. Looks like it's too early to ask, though. My bad.
I'm sure there's nothing wrong with asking, but have you checked out the bug tracker recently? There's hundreds and hundreds of issues. Some of them are bugs, some of them are unfinished features. Unless you say specifically what you want to know, you almost certainly won't get the answer you want.

You want to know "When will animal men be more viable and less quirky?". Define viable. Define quirk. What do you want to do with an animal man? Are you aware of the massive updates animal men got in this cycle making them hundreds of times more "viable" than previously?

Your question is as vague as "Hey, will you fix the issue with the dwarves some time?". Everything in the game could do with being less "quirky".

It's good to ask questions. But be more specific if you want actual information. DF is a massive game with a huge long-term development plan and nobody can read your mind to guess what you're asking.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: June 23, 2016, 04:40:23 pm »

Will version .5 be considered Beta?
No because Beta testing is when the product is nearly finished and is sent out to be tested by other people. Nothing is changing at version 0.50 that would affect that. Depending on your interpretation Dwarf Fortress has either always been in Beta testing, or will never be Beta tested.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: June 24, 2016, 01:54:20 am »

More generally, I'm curious about team working, Toady is quite discreet about the role played by his brother in the game. I'm sure they have found something quite unique ; i'm not sure there are other example of a game made by two brothers (and a cat) !

Toady, do you mind talking a bit more about how do your brother and you work, everyday ? Does he bring the idea and you the code ? Does he help you on debugging, or code himself, test the game ?
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 306