Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 39

Author Topic: PyLNP 0.14e-pre1 - Cross-platform launcher with graphics pack patching  (Read 319528 times)

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Perhaps Webroot is still blocking it? Other than that, I don't have any ideas off the top of my head - try posting the complete error message (CTRL+C should copy it); maybe that'll provide a better clue.

Also, which version and edition of Windows are you using? That might affect how you'd need to resolve certain issues.

Windows 7.

Upon launch it says: Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

I'm running it as administrator.

It should not be necessary to run as an administrator, FWIW, but it does seem to confirm that either something's screwed up with the permissions of the file (unlikely), or you have another program blocking PyLNP (far more likely).

Here's what you can do to check the permissions:

Method 1:
Right-click the file and choose Properties. Check the tab labeled Security. Make sure that the file has execute permissions for your user.

Method 2:
Open a command prompt. Navigate to the folder with the "cd" command. Type "icacls PyLNP.exe". Make sure your user has an F or RX permission listed.

I am not sure if Microsoft has enabled the Security tab in the Home editions of Windows 7; if not, you'll have to use the second method.

If you have the permissions, that means something else is blocking access to the file (I suspect Webroot). If you *don't* have permissions, something's taken them away (again, I'd suspect Webroot), but they can be reinstated. As a minimum, you should be able to open a command prompt as administrator, navigate to the folder, and type "icacls PyLNP.exe /grant Everyone:F"; if the Properties method worked, you should also be able to edit the permissions that way.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

If you have the permissions, that means something else is blocking access to the file (I suspect Webroot). If you *don't* have permissions, something's taken them away (again, I'd suspect Webroot), but they can be reinstated. As a minimum, you should be able to open a command prompt as administrator, navigate to the folder, and type "icacls PyLNP.exe /grant Everyone:F"; if the Properties method worked, you should also be able to edit the permissions that way.

This worked.

Curious, does the mod tab only show up when the .exe file has access to a df game?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

Curious, does the mod tab only show up when the .exe file has access to a df game?

It shows up if and only if there exists a folder under "LNP/Mods/".  It can be empty, but there must be a folder there for the mods tab to appear.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

It shows up if and only if there exists a folder under "LNP/Mods/".  It can be empty, but there must be a folder there for the mods tab to appear.

Still not showing up with the latest version.

Edit: Also, how to you get the source code into something prebuilt.  I want to test some modifications, but it keeps crashing.  Too fast for me to catch why, at that.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 01:42:45 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Still not showing up with the latest version.

Just to make this completely clear: It's not enough to have the folder LNP\Mods - you need a folder *inside* that folder in order for the mods tab to show up.

Edit: Also, how to you get the source code into something prebuilt.  I want to test some modifications, but it keeps crashing.  Too fast for me to catch why, at that.
Launch the source code from a command prompt, or check the stderr.txt and stdout.txt files after the crash - the details should be there.

For full building instructions, please check the readme, because it gets a bit too long to repeat it all here. Building isn't going to make any difference in testing, though, other than the error details *only* appearing in stderr.txt and stdout.txt, and not printed to a command prompt.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Launch the source code from a command prompt, or check the stderr.txt and stdout.txt files after the crash - the details should be there.

Okay then.  Does this mean anything besides I need PyLNP.user?  And where would I get that?

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, I must have forgotten that one isn't part of a default python install...

As long as you don't make builds, you can simply delete the offending line (line 42 in tkgui\tkgui.py), but I'll be pushing an update very soon to allow the program to work anyway - check back in 15 minutes or so.

For further development, however, it might be a good idea to install setuptools using the instructions from https://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools - that will provide the missing package

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile

Okay then.  Does this mean anything besides I need PyLNP.user?  And where would I get that?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Looks like your python installation is missing setuptools.
/ninja'd, whatever :)
Also pay attention to the expected folder structure.
For starters I'd recommend downloading a starter pack and using it as a base, then put your mod into LNP/Mods/Draconic Civilization and experiment with the experimental mod merger feature.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

For further development, however, it might be a good idea to install setuptools using the instructions from https://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools - that will provide the missing package

Alright then.

Also pay attention to the expected folder structure.

Don't worry about that.  The two UIs is due to using one to store the work being done for the modification into a launch UI there, then the second one is due to everything extracting into its own folder when I thought it wouldn't be.

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks like your python installation is missing setuptools.

Well, technically, the only reason that requirement was there is because PyInstaller and Pillow do not work together if that part of setuptools isn't imported. The actual code doesn't use it; it was just a workaround to get builds working.

Fortunately, hiding the import statement behind an "if False" seems to still trigger the relevant part of PyInstaller, so that prevents the import from actually being required *in practice*. That update has just been pushed online.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:02:27 pm by Pidgeot »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Now what did I fuck up?

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's a conflict between the Tcl/Tk bundled with Python and the one you have installed separately.

Since I don't know why you have a separate install of that, I can't tell you what the best choice for you is, but you need to either uninstall that one, update it to the same version as Python is using, or change the one Python has to allow both versions to be used. See also http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10576913/python-tcl-is-not-installed-properly

fricy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any ideas?

Can't seem to get it to work :(
OSX 10.8.5, updated xquartz and jdk, using the launcher yields:
"PyLNP quit unexpectedly"

Using the PyLNP executable yields the same, with the terminal reading

Last login: Sat Mar 14 03:58:47 on ttys000
mylogin:~ myname$ /Applications/Macnewbie/MacNewbie\ Launcher.app/Contents/MacOS/PyLNP ; exit;
CGColor with 1 components
Abort trap: 6
logout

[Process completed]
(I have no idea if this is in any way helpful)

Pidgeot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Last login: Sat Mar 14 03:58:47 on ttys000
mylogin:~ myname$ /Applications/Macnewbie/MacNewbie\ Launcher.app/Contents/MacOS/PyLNP ; exit;
CGColor with 1 components
Abort trap: 6
logout

Someone on Reddit had this problem a few months back: https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/2lscg8/macnewbie_pack_v0912_with_df_4015/clxvlyu

The best guess at the time was to install the latest version of ActiveTcl 8.5, but the user never reported back if that fixed it.

See also: https://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 02:04:50 am by Pidgeot »

fricy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Someone on Reddit had this problem a few months back: https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/2lscg8/macnewbie_pack_v0912_with_df_4015/clxvlyu

The best guess at the time was to install the latest version of ActiveTcl 8.5, but the user never reported back if that fixed it.

See also: https://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/
Thx. Thankfully Dricus's Pyside version works, so at least that's one satisfied customer.
What I don't understand is why/how activetcl is used/needed. Isn't PyLNP built as a standalone app?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 39