Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 136

Author Topic: The Let's go back to Iraq, now without WMDs Thread. About the IS(IS) threat.  (Read 193089 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WWI started in, what, Serbia? When Franz Ferdinand was assassinated. There is historical precedent for it.

I meant 'funny' in the sense that everybody assumes WWIII would be between the US and Russia.

WWI started in, what, Serbia? When Franz Ferdinand was assassinated. There is historical precedent for it.

And both sides had been spoiling for a fight for months, with propaganda supporting an arms race (read new Chengdu & Sukhoi craft, F-35 II & THAAD).

Also, this is starting to get weird strategically. Is Turkey splitting off from NATO? Storm is brewing, that's for sure.

Pretty sure Turkey is acting under it's own initiative than anything NATO related. While at first glance, it looks like Turkey is actually helping another NATO ally, the US, Trump's words make it unclear whose side we'd actually be on, should things come to blows.

Iran is sending food aid to Qatar. While there's obvious humanitarian goals here, it certainly isn't going to ease the tensions very much. And TBH, ALL of the countries which support terrorism in some way or another, including Saudi Arabia, need to stop doing that, not just Qatar and Iran, ALL.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 09:47:32 am by smjjames »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

White phosphorous being fired into Mosul, probably by the Iraqi: https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=abb_1496577415

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Saif al-islam Khadafi, son of Moamar Khadafi, has been released from prison in Libya.
He had been sentenced to death in 2015, but now has been granted a pardon by the parliament seated in Tobruk (much against the wishes of the other umpteen parliaments and governments of Libya, and against the wishes of the internationally recognized parliament in Tripoli). The city the prison is in where he was held is being held by militias backing the Tobruk parliament, and they released him.

After being released, he has quickly disappeared with unknown destination.
He is still wanted by the ICC to stand trial for crimes against humanity.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 05:33:04 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Has Libya been reduced to a cluster of city-states now?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Basically, yes. Warring warlords galore.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

cartmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Has Libya been reduced to a cluster of city-states now?

Yeah, looking at wikipedia page for libya, this is 6 months old

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Areas of control in the Civil War, updated 10 December 2016:
red: Tobruk-led Government
lime: Government of National Accord
blue: Petroleum Facilities Guard
yellow: Tuareg tribes
orange: Local forces

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Libyan_Civil_War.svg

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

In an effort to save the country, Qatari businessman Moutaz Al Khayyat had 60 airplanes full of Holstein cows delivered to Qatar from Australia and from the US.
Qatar used to be 100% dependant on Saudi-Arabia for it's fresh milk, cheese and yoghurt, but since last week, no milk has reached the country.

Khayyat, who became rich with construction projects on the artificial islands, already had plans to start raising cows on his farm, which until now only housed sheep and goats. In fact, the cows were already ordered. When he saw the Qatari hoarding en masse at the supermarkets, he thought to himself that this was the best moment to start his dairy farm. He cancelled their delivery by boat, which would have arrived in september, and paid an extra 6 million euros to have the 4000 cows delivered by 60 planes.

He expects that at the end of july, his dairy farm should be able to supply one third of the national dairy demand.

Poor cows, they not made for desert.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 12:36:56 pm by martinuzz »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile

In an effort to save the country, Qatari businessman Moutaz Al Khayyat had 60 airplanes full of Holstein cows delivered to Qatar from Australia and from the US.
Qatar used to be 100% dependant on Saudi-Arabia for it's fresh milk, cheese and yoghurt, but since last week, no milk has reached the country.

Khayyat, who became rich with construction projects on the artificial islands, already had plans to start raising cows on his farm, which until now only housed sheep and goats. In fact, the cows were already ordered. When he saw the Qatari hoarding en masse at the supermarkets, he thought to himself that this was the best moment to start his dairy farm. He cancelled their delivery by boat, which would have arrived in september, and paid an extra 6 million euros to have the 4000 cows delivered by 60 planes.

He expects that at the end of july, his dairy farm should be able to supply one third of the national dairy demand.

well at least they'll be treated better than the indians.

ayy
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The ones from Australia are probably used to a somewhat harsh environment, but yeah, sheep and goats would do better over there. He's certainly rich enough to take the initial hit from feeding and maintaining them before he turns a profit, but yeah.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is he gouging or does he have a genuine humanitarian interest?

Also, how do you pronounce "Qatar"? When I heard it spoken on the news(Fox by the way), it was sad as "cutter", but I've always thought it was pronounced "car-tar".
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile

so i actually just looked it up because this is interesting. the correct arabic pronunciation is best described as being like "gutter" because Qatar uses a letter we don't actually have, but the two English pronunciations are "kuh-tar" and "cutter" as far as i've encountered it. I always heard kuh-tar growing up, but it seems everyone's pronouncing it cutter today. Some sort of strange linguistic shift.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huh. I always pronounced it as "Twenty five cents" in my head. I guess you learn something new every day.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

I've always said and heard it as /kəˈtɑːr/.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When I lived there as a kid all the english speakers pronounced it Ka-tar.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The US shot down another pro-regieme Iranian made drone. Between this, the shooting down of that Syrian jet, the shooting down of a previous drone, and a report of a Russian jet buzzing an American jet by 5 feet and acting erratically while armed, it feels like the whole thing is slowly escalating, with the slowly part speeding up.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 136