Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358808 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #480 on: September 26, 2014, 03:43:22 am »

Actually, I just realized we could make a DF mod of this.
Good god. You'd literally be Armok waking up and the adventurers would be your Agents.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 26, 2014, 03:55:07 am »

DF mod should clearly include hordes of carps and elephants instead of orcs.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 26, 2014, 04:39:07 am »

I mean, it isn't even like the game was particularly bad or that it was all based on promises impossible to keep (since, by all accounts, those early videos showed that what they were planning was totally possible), it was just that we were promised the world and then it never called us back.

We weren't even really promised the world.  It was one video from like three years before the actual game came out, showing a very early prototype, and it was a TED talk and we all know how hard TED gets over happy pipe dreams about the future.  I'm surprised they didn't talk about sending Spore to kids in rural Nigeria to teach them about evolution.
Shoes...

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 26, 2014, 04:50:01 am »

I mean, it isn't even like the game was particularly bad or that it was all based on promises impossible to keep (since, by all accounts, those early videos showed that what they were planning was totally possible), it was just that we were promised the world and then it never called us back.

What they showed was a mostly staged demo, from what I heard.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #484 on: September 26, 2014, 09:58:33 am »

We did say that we would be releasing the product in its polished state with current feature set before going off to add in the extra features, Religion is the only exception as it currently has hooks in the game - it was truly meant to be a fundamental component, obviously the Gods would have something to say about an Ancient Evil arising, and of course as you are essentially a former God it would make sense for you to be able to spread your faith, deceitfully or otherwise, once more.

The added time, which is not exceptional given that so many of its components do already exist, will absolutely be worth it.  As for any other stretch goals, we would be moving all the way to having a fully functioning Early Access release - polished and all bugs fixed - before rolling in Rival Old Ones and other features, which would then be given to our Beta Tester tier players to help us develop and polish properly.

I absolutely understand your concern, so many games have been huge disappointments - and I remember being so excited about Spore and its revolutionary potential.... then playing it for 3 hours and never looking at it again. That Which Sleeps, like DF, is very humble at its base - allowing us to create a lot of depth without the programming and testing being excessively complex.  We did it that way so we could make a game with this many options, one that everyone can mod to do exactly what they want without any difficulty.
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 26, 2014, 12:22:36 pm »

Will it be possible to mod or edit in-game the name of your god?

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #486 on: September 26, 2014, 12:33:48 pm »

Yep, you can modify the names of Old Ones as well as Agents.
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 26, 2014, 02:51:38 pm »

Cheers. Looking forward to the next devlog

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 26, 2014, 03:57:27 pm »

Huh, I'd say that the Gods and Religion stretch goal is a given now, looking at the Kickstarter. Huzah!

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 26, 2014, 03:58:05 pm »

Speaking of which, you planning on releasing this on GoG too? Some people have issues with Steam.

I think they've said at some point that they have a non-DRM option planned as well. Wasn't GOG from what I recall though.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 26, 2014, 03:58:46 pm »

I'm really hoping we get to the 40k stretch goal.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 26, 2014, 03:59:49 pm »

I'm really hoping we get to the 40k stretch goal.
I'm just hoping we get to every stretch goal.
And then some.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 26, 2014, 04:04:52 pm »

Well.. the procedural one is *good* but I'm sure we all know the pitfalls some games can have when they have hand-crafted gameplay and elements with love and detail in every orifice and then the *procedural* bits having an obvious lack of flavor and charm in comparison. Of course, I'm not sure exactly what the procedural goal exactly entails. I believe I saw a mention on the KS about the procedural generation would be limited to stuff like graphics, but don't quote me.

So for clarification, KingDinosaur what exactly *would* the procedural tier add? Would it change [increase or decrease] development time in a significant way? If you've posted this a million times just link me to it. It's just there's so much info coming out of you it's hard to find specifics, heh.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Jalak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 26, 2014, 04:06:08 pm »

What is the endless simulation exactly? I know it says that its a sort of "end-game" option to twist the world and keep it under control when you've already "won", but I can't see how that would be a big difference from just taking out the victory screen and adding some events with the editor yourself. How would you keep something like that interesting besides "a bunch of heroes pop up to challenge your rule...again"?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 26, 2014, 04:08:54 pm »

Is there any chance of additional stretch goals if you reach the $53k mark with a lot of time to spare?
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 210