Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 357587 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #1095 on: February 17, 2015, 03:48:34 pm »

I love this game. I put down my $50 and I would like to see a demo / early access build. I might even write a preview on my blog.

Please? Need early access ...

If we get early builds we can do previews and stuff.

This is a preview I did of an Alpha build of a Roguelike called Keeper RL (well worth looking at incidentally) -

http://matthewhopkinsnews.com/?p=653

The game has a vaguely similar premise to Dungeon Keeper - not so much an ancient evil re-awakening as your first time round as the big bad - a banished Warlock trying to become the Dark Lord. Good fun though.

Think I found the source of butt hurt...almost no posts by this guy except on this thread...it starts out with him sucking up asking early access...he doesn't get it so apparently he flips a switch and goes from "Love this game and willing to do a review" to "I am going to flail and cry and try and crucify you"

He also "updated the story" a couple days ago to "prove" other people besides him are complaining...by posting a quote from someone else on the forum simply saying "Any news? Anxiousness is Mounting!"

sooo definitely grabbing at straws
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 03:59:31 pm by dennislp3 »

Crowe~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarting!
« Reply #1096 on: February 17, 2015, 04:03:38 pm »

Think I found the source of butt hurt...almost no posts by this guy except on this thread...it starts out with him sucking up asking early access...he doesn't get it so apparently he flips a switch and goes from "Love this game and willing to do a review" to "I am going to flail and cry and try and crucify you"

Nice find, imo you should be promoted to the office of Witchfinder General immediately for your work seeking the truth of this evil deed.  8)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1097 on: February 17, 2015, 04:09:02 pm »

When you look at some of the other kickstarters that were also delayed.

Darkest Dungeon - Jan 2015 --> ?  (Technically, still only Early Access.  They may have meant for the game to be out by Jan 2015 from the original wording.)
Dead State - Dec 2013 --> Dec 2014
Divinity: Original Sin - Nov 2013 --> June 2014
Shadowrun Returns - Jan 2013 --> July 2013
Torment: Tides of Numenera - Dec 2014 --> ?
Wasteland 2 - Oct 2013 --> Sep 2014
That Which Sleeps - Dec 2014  --> ?
War for the Overworld - Aug 2013 --> ? (May have meant when Early Access begins?)

Well... there are more, I reckon...

So uhh... yea.  Taking a look at the witchfinder article, I think the guy is proposing that they be sued.  Yea... that'll get shit done quicker. /sarcasm
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps - Kickstarted!
« Reply #1098 on: February 17, 2015, 04:10:34 pm »

Whilst there is a lot of activity with art on the game forums, I think people should be aware that they have now missed several deadlines for release of tools.

I have written an article, here -

http://matthewhopkinsnews.com/?p=1006

Titled: "King Dinosaur Games Must Remember that Kickstarter Promises are NOT Made to be Broken #GamerGate"

That's possibly the quickest I've ever made the decision to not read an article to which I've been linked. It's a real shame that this guy is gonna be throwing stink at the devs of this game.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: February 17, 2015, 04:11:12 pm »

I'm kinda glad I've found this zen place in gaming where I'm no longer chomping at the bit for my preorders and Kickstarters, because I've got so many out there and a backlog of games to play. I want KS games to meet their stated goals, but it's also true that 99% of Kickstarters miss one or more of their goals, sometimes by months, along the way.

As for the witchunter....lulz. Just lulz. The #gamergate hashtag is just the icing on the cake.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: February 17, 2015, 05:11:22 pm »

I was the one person who reacted on his blog by saying he was the only person who was actually blowing his gasket about the delays and I was immediately trolling according to him. I'm just happy that it's not luckily not picked up by a serious site which might have actually damaged the reputation of the game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: February 17, 2015, 05:18:52 pm »

I was the one person who reacted on his blog by saying he was the only person who was actually blowing his gasket about the delays and I was immediately trolling according to him. I'm just happy that it's not luckily not picked up by a serious site which might have actually damaged the reputation of the game.

I'm guessing a serious site can differentiate hyperbole from fact, and aren't hungry for recognition and pursuing it by banging away at a non-controversy. What's the headline going to read? "You'll never believe what this Kickstarter did!"?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: February 17, 2015, 05:32:45 pm »

Eh, their delay has justifiable reason, and they made clear of this fact when they proposed the idea of hex-based map upto the vote. I'll give them few months before I start to become actively concerned.

I can see where the argument is coming from though, Kickstarter is bound to foster some suspicion and it was disappointing that planned dev-logs and LP failed to materialize. Criticism under ridiculous guise of "Witchfinder" "Inquisifor" (WTF does these words even have positive connotation? I thought these were people who torture the undeserving) wasn't really the best PR stunt though, possibly. I wonder if he'll take credit if something happens soon.

I do agree with the core sentiment of "delay, should we be worried based on prior kickstarters?". It's the hashtags (can't say I've ever seen those used in a way that raises credibility) and the seemingly jump-the-gun attitude of the post that bothers me. Yes kickstarters have fucked up in the past. Yes TWS might end up being one of them. But it's far too early for me to start speculating.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: February 17, 2015, 06:36:02 pm »

If it were, like, a year with no progress and no word from the devs, time to worry.

A week or two? Please...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: February 17, 2015, 08:25:01 pm »

Eh, their delay has justifiable reason, and they made clear of this fact when they proposed the idea of hex-based map upto the vote. I'll give them few months before I start to become actively concerned.

I can see where the argument is coming from though, Kickstarter is bound to foster some suspicion and it was disappointing that planned dev-logs and LP failed to materialize. Criticism under ridiculous guise of "Witchfinder" "Inquisifor" (WTF does these words even have positive connotation? I thought these were people who torture the undeserving) wasn't really the best PR stunt though, possibly. I wonder if he'll take credit if something happens soon.

I do agree with the core sentiment of "delay, should we be worried based on prior kickstarters?". It's the hashtags (can't say I've ever seen those used in a way that raises credibility) and the seemingly jump-the-gun attitude of the post that bothers me. Yes kickstarters have fucked up in the past. Yes TWS might end up being one of them. But it's far too early for me to start speculating.

And even beyond that, we really shouldn't be worried based on past kickstarters. I think every single videogame kickstarter I've backed has gotten a delay in some way, shape, or form - and most of those delays wind up compounding and setting the release back a good year+. A month or three delay, well accounted for at the beginning? That's being on top of things.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: February 18, 2015, 10:39:31 am »

Posted by Josh [1 of the devs] on feb 17th:

"After a long delay we will be resuming our Dev Logs starting with an overview of the Map Builder in the coming days - we will be endeavoring to produce weekly summaries of development work so that everyone is on board with the progress being made as we approach beta. I cannot commit that their will be a video each week, but we will at the very least be posting summaries of changes and progress with accompanying screenshots."

Beggars` Sect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: February 19, 2015, 02:52:26 am »

Wait...what`s this? A game based on Lovecraftian mythos that is not nauseatingly post-post modern, takes a piss and/or uses Cthulhu as a cuddly pop mascot? Apart from Infra Arcana, that would be a first in a really long time - colour me interested.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: February 19, 2015, 07:37:44 am »

I don't believe this game is necessarily Lovecraftian, but I guess the underlying themes are similar.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: February 19, 2015, 07:44:13 am »

I don't believe this game is necessarily Lovecraftian, but I guess the underlying themes are similar.

It isn't, it has a fantasy setting with Lovecraftian stuff as well.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: February 19, 2015, 07:52:28 am »

It isn't, it has a fantasy setting with Lovecraftian stuff as well.

It is a game that uses lovecraftian horror and ideas (One of the gods is clearly Cthulhu) as inspiration.

However only a few of the possible gods are lovecraftian in design (In fact I believe only two are). Some of the others take inspiration from a wide variety of sources.

But the most lovecraftian aspect of the game is it is about the subtle manipulations of a sleeping or weakened deity as they slowly encroach their power over the world. Yet that isn't something Lovecraft created, but it is clear that it is where the game took its main idea from. Yet how this influence occurs is different for every deity.

Sisyphus from description almost kind of reminds me of the Avatar from Ultima in a way. He would SORT OF be the closest thing to being a "Good Guy" I guess. Though the Irony is quite obvious.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:56:01 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 210