Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358996 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #1290 on: April 05, 2015, 04:02:37 pm »

How about this slightly different take on the Artifice one

The (Fallen) Primal of Artifice:
Appearance: Statue in the middle of a small ruin
Power: Through the sacrifice of "offerings of blood and bones, flesh, alcohol, precious stones, weapons... primal things that we fought for, that we made for killing, that we created" it creates powerful armor and weapons for those making the offerings.

Campaign effect:
Heroes overwhelming victory: The ruin around the statue transforms into a bustling strong-walled fortress for the good guys, one that continues to export powerful weapons and armor for heroes to use.
Agent overwhelming victory: The ruin grows in size and releases a large army of powerful twisted demons that attempt to slaughter everything nearby, and begins to occasionally generate small demon groups after the original wave.

I think that might capture the overall essence of DF a bit more than just exporting weapons personally.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: April 05, 2015, 06:57:08 pm »

Oooh, so if the Heroes win, it becomes a Dwarf Fortress?  That's a really cool slant on it, I think.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: April 05, 2015, 07:23:59 pm »

Oooh, so if the Heroes win, it becomes a Dwarf Fortress?  That's a really cool slant on it, I think.
And if the agents win they unleash the HFS, yeah.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: April 05, 2015, 07:36:26 pm »

Power: Through the sacrifice of "offerings of blood and bones, flesh, alcohol, precious stones, weapons... primal things that we fought for, that we made for killing, that we created" it creates powerful armor and weapons for those making the offerings.

Campaign effect:
Heroes overwhelming victory: The ruin around the statue transforms into a bustling strong-walled fortress for the good guys, one that continues to export powerful weapons and armor for heroes to use.
Agent overwhelming victory: The ruin grows in size and releases a large army of powerful twisted demons that attempt to slaughter everything nearby, and begins to occasionally generate small demon groups after the original wave.

I think that might capture the overall essence of DF a bit more than just exporting weapons personally.
I like this. I endorse it. It is Dwarf Fortress. Dig too deep...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 07:47:23 pm by lijacote »
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: April 05, 2015, 07:41:02 pm »

Campaign effect:

If this is possible, this.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: April 05, 2015, 08:06:50 pm »

The Hellephant didn't get much traction, but a primal that becomes a dwarf fortress is pretty baller. I support that idea.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #1296 on: April 05, 2015, 09:53:53 pm »

Campaign effect:

Definitely possible, and to further honor the source the "Heroic Victory" can be tied to Dwarfs forming a new hold.  In TWS Dwarf society splits when their is too much dissent in a single hold and the dissenters go off to either found a new Hold or reclaim a lost one. 
That Which Sleeps
IndieDB| Website | Twitter

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: April 06, 2015, 04:26:55 am »

I like the 'ruin becomes good guy fortress/dwarf hold' bit, but the Agent victory is a bit ehh. First of all it doesn't sound very controlled and possibly even harmful to your own efforts, even if more chaos is good for the Old One in general. It also seems too removed from the good guy victory. I think they should be more thematically connected. Sticking to the Primal itself, perhaps the statue (and thus the ruins it commands) can be enslaved and awakened by the Agent to actually march out and cause destruction, or to build an army of mindless iron warriors. The demons, while DF-related, come from nowhere right now, and don't really fit the 'orderly' feel of the statue itself.

Can we have a bit more info on how the underground layer functions, by the way? Maybe a quick picture or illustration? Is the PoI map separate from the overland map or are the two the same and connected? Am I even remembering correctly that there was going to be an underground map layer?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #1298 on: April 06, 2015, 04:54:45 am »

I like the 'ruin becomes good guy fortress/dwarf hold' bit, but the Agent victory is a bit ehh. First of all it doesn't sound very controlled and possibly even harmful to your own efforts, even if more chaos is good for the Old One in general. It also seems too removed from the good guy victory. I think they should be more thematically connected. Sticking to the Primal itself, perhaps the statue (and thus the ruins it commands) can be enslaved and awakened by the Agent to actually march out and cause destruction, or to build an army of mindless iron warriors. The demons, while DF-related, come from nowhere right now, and don't really fit the 'orderly' feel of the statue itself.

Can we have a bit more info on how the underground layer functions, by the way? Maybe a quick picture or illustration? Is the PoI map separate from the overland map or are the two the same and connected? Am I even remembering correctly that there was going to be an underground map layer?

Unfortunately there isn't really an underground that connects together just an "Underground" POI used for dwarf holds and ruins.  The lowest level connects to an "Underworld" abstract zone that can spit out the Heroes/Agents anywhere in the world.
That Which Sleeps

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: April 06, 2015, 04:58:10 am »

Ah, damn. I had this idea of something more concrete and complex, for some reason. I'll need to tweak a world idea I had. But hey, maybe for a future DLC!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: April 06, 2015, 05:24:06 am »

Project Update 4-6-2015 with lots of new infos...[finally some army related stuff as well...can't wait for more informations about the armies and army battles, since we still don't know too much.]

- The challenge & faction panels are looking good, even tho I can see that they are not finished.
- Guilds: "Guilds come in three forms - Thief, Merchant, Mage". It feels weird that there is a thief and a mage guild, but no warrior/fighter guild has been formed in the [vanilla] game world?

PS. No video has been attached. -> "After being trounced by bugs the last two weeks, we'll be resuming videos with some of our "free" time. Modding will have to take priority since the release is imminent, but we'll keep releasing screenshots of new functionality periodically to wet appetites before we release more dev logs. It has just been a question of time."

PPS. I have a feeling that the release date will be pushed back, but it's allright. Unfinished, beta games released as v1.0 are a big no-no!  :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 07:10:51 am by gimli »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: April 06, 2015, 12:19:32 pm »

Campaign effect:

Definitely possible, and to further honor the source the "Heroic Victory" can be tied to Dwarfs forming a new hold.  In TWS Dwarf society splits when their is too much dissent in a single hold and the dissenters go off to either found a new Hold or reclaim a lost one.
For clarification, would the statue spit out excellent equipment all on its own?  Or would it still need a population of crafters under its influence?  (Since it does need to have a good reason to attract settlers.)

Though such a defeat, for 'your' side... comes a new opportunity... at the very least, such a stronghold would be one of the pillars of any competent war industry, for the alliance or an empire bent on world domination.  Or neutral as a mercenary/bandit/sellsword/warlord stronghold and/or merchant city-state emerging from it... with some nudging.  And I guess there is outright corruption.

The Agent victory sounds lackluster, but you just gotta frame that right. 
A new fortress of demons or *insert race here*, under 'your' influence, forms up around the statue.  Pretty much the same as Hero victory, except with different owners.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: April 06, 2015, 12:37:31 pm »

That's kind of boring though, seeing as this is a game all about asymmetrical powers and factions, at least when it comes to good-evil.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

KingDinosaurGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That Which Sleeps
« Reply #1303 on: April 06, 2015, 12:57:15 pm »

That's kind of boring though, seeing as this is a game all about asymmetrical powers and factions, at least when it comes to good-evil.

You can spawn a Lesser Evil or an Overlord type Modifier, both of which follow their own Agenda (much simpler for Overlords) and you can either attempt to work with them or allow them free reign, which generally benefits you.  We don't have a lot of flexibility to make new ones within this scope since they are quite complex but if everyone can agree on a general archetype I'm sure one of the options will fit it.
That Which Sleeps

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: April 06, 2015, 01:33:13 pm »

If the hero version is a sort of centralized artifact factory, what about having the evil version cause fell moods? You could continue in the vein of spawning lesser demons, but instead of a direct army if periodically sends infiltrators who seek out minor people of interest and make them to crazy stuff. say it increases suspicions in PoI populations that can make the locals wary of strangers and more unlikely to form alliances quickly.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 210