Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 357594 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #2355 on: September 26, 2016, 07:23:35 pm »

I really liked the old "hand drawn" map styles

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: September 26, 2016, 07:38:25 pm »

I wish we could just let this non-game die. It was a test case for many people on the validity of kickstarter--it failed--I just wish we could move on from it. Especially now, since this development hell has blown up, you can be sure that it. will. never. be. done. Let the dev go, money back or not, this project can no longer be accomplished. At all.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2357 on: September 26, 2016, 08:04:51 pm »

I wish we could just let this non-game die. It was a test case for many people on the validity of kickstarter--it failed--I just wish we could move on from it. Especially now, since this development hell has blown up, you can be sure that it. will. never. be. done. Let the dev go, money back or not, this project can no longer be accomplished. At all.
so long as the dev is working on it, it's not dead

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: September 26, 2016, 10:05:48 pm »

It is dead.  After months of no information except that the AI needs to be reworked he came back to tell us he changed the map again, and this time it looks awful.

It's dead.  Josh may also be insane.
Shoes...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: September 26, 2016, 11:14:49 pm »

I do agree it's from all appearances passed into the realm of vaporware, but I like to wistfully speculate about what could've been. 
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: September 26, 2016, 11:22:13 pm »

Yeah. I'm not sure who decides that an AI problem that derailed a beta release is something that should just go on, like it's a cake that's taking longer to cook than expected, and meanwhile reworks other parts of the game with that time. Seems like they'e basically back in development mode now, forget alpha or any of that noise. Which means they can one day just quietly slip away should they decide it's not worth finishing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: September 27, 2016, 03:23:31 am »

I'm honestly a little worried about his mental state after that.  To come back with a map update after all this, he's either got balls the size of the sun or he's completely out of touch with the reality of his situation.
Shoes...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: September 27, 2016, 03:34:45 am »

He didn't read the forum or anything else really.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: September 27, 2016, 03:38:16 am »

This is almost edging out Towns in terms of entertainment value. Slight advantage to Towns for actually existing.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: September 27, 2016, 05:00:55 am »

He's out of touch with reality, is what I get from the snippets posted here. Not going to speculate on what's going on with him mentally, but he definitely doesn't communicate with anyone, and has long periods where he wasn't even talking with his partner.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: September 27, 2016, 07:34:17 am »

There is also Option Three:

He said "fuck it" and started from the beginning and what we are seeing here is in fact the entire game progressing again because he started from scratch.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: September 27, 2016, 08:44:42 am »

They had some issues displaying the info and showing the mechanics without overloading the user with info. The map rework might have had something to do with that. I'm just hopeful

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: September 27, 2016, 10:58:06 am »

I'm honestly a little worried about his mental state after that.  To come back with a map update after all this, he's either got balls the size of the sun or he's completely out of touch with the reality of his situation.

It's also possible that the AI issue still seems intractable, but the dev needs to do something successfully and to completion, psychologically speaking. In grad school I saw a situation up-close that looked disturbingly close to his, in terms of the psychology displayed by someone burning out, and if it is like that then doing something he can actually complete may appear to be (and may actually be) a lifeline to pull himself out of the pit.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: September 27, 2016, 12:21:25 pm »

It's also possible that the AI issue still seems intractable, but the dev needs to do something successfully and to completion, psychologically speaking. In grad school I saw a situation up-close that looked disturbingly close to his, in terms of the psychology displayed by someone burning out, and if it is like that then doing something he can actually complete may appear to be (and may actually be) a lifeline to pull himself out of the pit.

In truth I think every nascent game designer has experienced this. You get an idea, it enthralls you, you work and work and work before realizing....you can't make your vision a reality. Granted, KDG has produced something that could actually qualify as a game at this point, but it wouldn't be what he'd actually wanted.

This whole thing reminds me of Net Gain. A promising game with a complicated premise that got about 50% of the way there and then fell down the rabbit hole.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: September 27, 2016, 12:46:33 pm »

The other one I'm reminded of is Cult.  I'm not sure if I read this on somethingawful or if it was from Ultima Ratio Regum's devblog, but that was another one we probably should've seen coming after the dev posted proof of concept demos with none of the actual concept.

It also got kickstarted, but I didn't back it because I didn't see it panning out.  This one I'm a little sore about, so I don't have the same sympathy some of you guys have.  Either he deleted the original game we saw in the videos or it never existed, and either way I feel like I was misled.

No more kickstarter for me, at any rate.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 210