Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 210

Author Topic: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!  (Read 358747 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: That which sleeps- Kickstarted!
« Reply #2430 on: December 27, 2016, 09:54:54 pm »

I still maintain that's malarkey. You don't go and push out a modding tool set and map editor to keep up the ruse that you have a game you really don't. All the game art? Found it anywhere else on the internet, obviously stolen? The Youtube videos we got, complete forgeries?

He may not have been "almost done" but saying there was never any game, ever, just seems spiteful to me.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 10:20:13 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: December 28, 2016, 01:25:08 am »

I guess I didn't put what I meant very well.  I think he had what he's had the whole time.  A prototype that resembles the finished product but doesn't actually do anything, and can't pass a turn without crashing because there's little to nothing under the hood.

And then what I said.  Making it look like more than it is, Lying for Jesus and all, figuring he's good on it if he can just get the money to finish it.
Shoes...

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: December 28, 2016, 02:10:05 am »

I really don't buy it. Though since you have been the one always being a downer, skipping from one negative to the next. I am really not surprised. 
Frankly those who act  like you shpuld be blamed for the guy's breakdown and the split; you shouldn't yell fire in a theater, yell 'sell!' on a stock trading floor and you shouldn't tell cynical gamers that an indie producer is a fraud before anything happens...which was done repeatedly, pretty much since the beginning.
Cynicism is one thing, frankly the whole thing was sabotaged. :-\
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: December 28, 2016, 03:54:13 am »

The truth is almost certainly somewhere right in the middle of those two outlooks.

Any chance we can let this thread sleep?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: December 28, 2016, 11:05:29 am »

I can't even get my money back, so there is that.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: December 28, 2016, 11:12:52 am »

An interesting post by a superbacker, as seen in Kickstarter:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: December 28, 2016, 01:55:14 pm »

To me there's a big gap between fraud and failure. I see the game as the latter, not the former.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: December 28, 2016, 02:03:21 pm »

To me there's a big gap between fraud and failure. I see the game as the latter, not the former.

No, it's a very small gap. Did you make material representations that backers relied on in backing the project? If no, then it's not fraud. If yes, then it's fraud.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: December 28, 2016, 02:08:03 pm »

There is a lot of very doubtful stuff going on.

I.e. I invested since they already had a early build they showed off in the first videos and I wanted to play that. 3 years later, they now have LESS then that.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: December 28, 2016, 02:23:25 pm »

My point exactly. I think Cthulhu is right on target. They had a very early stage prototype, and it never went beyond that.

I really don't buy it. Though since you have been the one always being a downer, skipping from one negative to the next. I am really not surprised. 
Nope. Cthulhu was a real believer from minute one. In fact, he used to defend the game until shortly ago. It's just that the way things have gone it's a bit too hard to swallow the story anymore. For the look of things, even former developers doubt it.

Frankly those who act  like you shpuld be blamed for the guy's breakdown and the split; you shouldn't yell fire in a theater, yell 'sell!' on a stock trading floor and you shouldn't tell cynical gamers that an indie producer is a fraud before anything happens...which was done repeatedly, pretty much since the beginning.
Cynicism is one thing, frankly the whole thing was sabotaged. :-\
Ehh, no. This Josh guy is responsible for his own acts. Period. This was not sabotaged. This was bad planning and misleading advertising. At best, and being generous.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 02:28:26 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: December 28, 2016, 02:37:50 pm »

No, it's a very small gap. Did you make material representations that backers relied on in backing the project? If no, then it's not fraud. If yes, then it's fraud.

I didn't take the Kickstarter presentation as "the game". Why would I? There was little UI to speak of and the entire map got redone. The game vastly balooned due to stretch goals. IIRC, the infamous "basically done" line is the only one we have that everyone points to as a demonstration of fraud. I think the guy could be guilty of a lot of stuff (hubris, overestimating his own skills, piss poor community management) but fraud is not any of those things. Saying from the outset he intended to defraud backers is beyond the pale. Legitimately trying to make a game funded by Kickstarter and failing happens all the time.

My guess is the game managed to pass turns early on, before much of anything was hooked up. And as he started building systems it became totally unstable. I still don't consider that fraud.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: December 28, 2016, 02:42:07 pm »

I didn't take the Kickstarter presentation as "the game". Why would I? There was little UI to speak of and the entire map got redone. The game vastly balooned due to stretch goals. IIRC, the infamous "basically done" line is the only one we have that everyone points to as a demonstration of fraud. I think the guy could be guilty of a lot of stuff (hubris, overestimating his own skills, piss poor community management) but fraud is not any of those things. Saying from the outset he intended to defraud backers is beyond the pale. Legitimately trying to make a game funded by Kickstarter and failing happens all the time.

My guess is the game managed to pass turns early on, before much of anything was hooked up. And as he started building systems it became totally unstable. I still don't consider that fraud.

Again, from the Kickstarter page:

By waiting until we have a fully functional and working game engine we feel like we successfully mitigated the most common risks that many games on Kickstarter face. We have a working game that we will complete and deliver in a timely fashion.

They've never shown that they had a working game at any point, let alone in September 2014.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: December 28, 2016, 03:52:20 pm »

I took the videos released in....2015 was it? To be showing something. Are you saying that's also just cobble together footage done in illustrator?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: December 28, 2016, 03:56:10 pm »

I don't think those videos were showing very much. At least not enough to say it was functional

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: December 28, 2016, 03:56:38 pm »

I.e. I invested since they already had a early build they showed off in the first videos and I wanted to play that. 3 years later, they now have LESS then that.

This actually isn't surprising. It was, I'd assume, a partial engine missing key functionality that could do some stuff. If they refactored or substantially modified the system after that, the early game - which again, was presumably not a complete game - would not include any of the subsequent work. If they had poor version management - and I'm not exactly impressed with their software engineering/project management chops from what I've (peripherally) read - they may not even have the early version any more.

This entirely sets aside a whole raft of potential psychological issues involving an inability to "throw away" three years of work and face failure (even if it might scale complete failure back to partial failure). Discussing what would be the most rational course of action doesn't really seem relevant here.

From an uninvolved outsider's standpoint with knowledge of SE and some exposure to situations possibly involving similar psychological issues, this looks like excessive ambition, unrealistic assessment, poor planning, poor execution, and a mental breakdown directly following from those. That's a lot of speculation on my part. But it's certainly no more speculation than explicit accusations of fraud.
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 210