Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What can and can't be modded  (Read 1781 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
What can and can't be modded
« on: October 01, 2014, 06:29:46 am »

I'm wondering how exactly this all works. I know some things are tied to toady's livelihood at the mo and as such are held back, but i may be wildly misinformed.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:44:40 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Raws that can and can't be released
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 06:38:21 am »

What the christ are they teaching you children these days?

About the only way you can go wrong is if you purge Toady's name from the executable and start distributing it as your own work. Raws are meant to be modified.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: What can and can't be modded
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 08:43:20 am »

Agh. I meant, what can and can't be modded. I thought toady holds some stuff back.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 08:45:00 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 10:14:07 am »

I think he's referring to things like the default workshops.

Getting a list of what can't be modified is kind of difficult, since a lot of it is behavior and game logic, which is hard to list.
Are there specific things you want to modify but are unsure about?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 10:36:14 am »

I'm quite interested in the prospect of modding conversation. Understand i am not exactly a well-oiled coder.
Reading a thinner book

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 10:58:31 am »

Most conversation is hardcoded. A few bits are available in data/speech where you can change, remove, and add conversation pieces. For the rest, you'd need something to edit the executable, which has its own pitfalls (there is an utility for that purpose somewhere in this forum, but i think it's Windows only). For one, either you need to distribute multiple versions of your mod or leave out those on different OSes. For two, editing the strings in the exe isn't something done lightly. A wrong change, and the program won't run anymore.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 01:26:13 pm »

I think he meant that he thought modders telling him they can't change something is because it's not allowed, rather than because it's impossible.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 06:16:42 pm »

The best place to start is just looking through the raws, if it's not in there it "can't be modded". Now of course there is DFHack, but that's not really modding, more of fiddling with the innards, and for someone just starting, probably outside the realm of plausibility.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 10:50:43 pm »

The one I cry hardest over is the hardcoded starting dwarf amount.. If only I could totally disable migrants and embark with a single dwarf :(

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 11:26:14 pm »

There's a DFhack workaround for that one that makes all the other dwarves disappear in puffs of smoke or something like that. Putnam has a Dark Wizardy Tower mod thing that relies mostly on that and Meph copied it for his Hermit mode.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 01:30:37 am »

There's a DFhack workaround for that one that makes all the other dwarves disappear in puffs of smoke or something like that. Putnam has a Dark Wizardy Tower mod thing that relies mostly on that and Meph copied it for his Hermit mode.

It literally just chooses one of them at random then kills any others who show up by vanishing them. In the dark wizard tower mod, it also transfers any attributes and skills to the main guy.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 01:32:12 am »

Im no programmer but I wish he would hardcore a lot less stuff. So many times Ive thought of an idea and then I was stopped by something being hardcoded.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 01:43:55 am »

RANDOMIZATION AND RAWS ARC: More things need to make it out to the raws, and when they arrive, there should be some ability to randomize what you get in play. Current raw objects such as creatures, entities, plants, metals or even stone should also be randomizable. This doesn't just include randomizing an existing entry, but, more importantly, the creation of entirely new objects. This behavior should be controlled by the world parameters so that you can run anything from a stock universe to a complete replacement of all existing raw objects. In worlds with random objects, the random objects need to be introduced to the player in such a way that familiarity can be gained (involving descriptions, back stories, etc.) so that it isn't just a mess of static with garbage names. Related to Core53, Core92, Core93, Core94, Core95 and Core96.

Core53, MORE RAW FILES, (Future): Everything should be moved out of the code and into the raw folders, insofar as the processor will allow it. There needs to be a generalized framework for things like plant and animal related materials and products. Not all of the building types will make it out, but workshop and furnace types are certainly good candidates.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 05:38:59 am »

So modding the hardcoded stuff is hellishly difficult? Is there anything that toady doesn't give to the masses? I thought that DFhack had some initial controversy for example.
Reading a thinner book

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 12:42:13 pm »

Is there anything that toady doesn't give to the masses?
The actual source code? (Or at least not until he dies and it's released in his will, assuming he isn't murdered).

But the point of raws is to allow things to be modded, and more modding capabilities is a good thing. If something isn't there, it's almost certainly because he hasn't had time to move it out into the raws yet, not because it's being forbidden from being modded.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: [1] 2