Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 447125 times)

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1350 on: August 27, 2018, 04:48:01 am »

I've kind of had a mouse brute (beware its dust) take over the world and destroy all civilization apart from my own. It was a tiny island, but it counts.

Is this a metaphor for the monopolization of the entertainment industry by disney corp?

Given how dark fortresses steal and indoctrinate children it's oddly appropriate.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

RWARO_GNARL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: August 28, 2018, 08:32:56 am »

Just looked up a legend on 140 years old game. An entity with highest kill is a saltwater crocodile, whom died of old age.

And my Giant War Mandrill has more kill than my best dwarf

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: September 08, 2018, 04:52:10 pm »

Dropping dwarves few Z-levels seems to cure tantruming. I don't know why that works, but so far three out of three tantrumers have snapped out of it after falling on their heads from a retracting bridge. I have to try if it cures depression and obliviousness as well.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: September 08, 2018, 06:01:55 pm »

Dropping dwarves few Z-levels seems to cure tantruming. I don't know why that works, but so far three out of three tantrumers have snapped out of it after falling on their heads from a retracting bridge. I have to try if it cures depression and obliviousness as well.

Dwarf reverse phrenology !

Normal phrenology assumes that personality affects the shape of the skull.

Therefore... reverse phrenology works by...

Reshaping the skull by being dropped from a height, changing the personality !

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: September 09, 2018, 01:39:28 am »

When dwarfs turn 1 year old, they jump out of their mother's arms and get a "pickup equipment" task.  Then they wander all over the fortress looking for clothes :-)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: September 09, 2018, 06:39:37 am »

The weight of containers appears to be using the solid density of their contents even when they hold liquids. This means an adventurer's starting waterskin weighs 0.144Γ less than it should. A full barrel of water is 4.8Γ lighter.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: September 09, 2018, 07:33:48 am »

You can't get barrels of water in fort mode, but you can get minecarts full of water. A highwood minecart(20U) filled with water weights 479 U.

The water inside has 7-8°U lag in my 9992°U tundra (meaning it is possible to have ice-cast water-filled cart), and it indeed still weights 479 U once the water inside is frozen.

(I think I noted in my head the same weight before, but I definitely didn't note the existence of [LIQUID_DENSITY:] or exact value for temp lag.)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: September 09, 2018, 08:12:57 am »

The wiki says a minecart holds 5 stones or 10 logs which means a capacity of 50,000ml. A unit of misc. liquid has volume of 60ml. So a minecart should hold 833 units of water. 920 * 60 * (10 / 1000000) * 833 = 459.816Γ. (Formula and density from wiki.) That much liquid water should weigh 499.8Γ. So the cart should have been 519Γ before it froze. I've observed truncation of fractions, rather than rounding, in Adventurer mode before.

I see in the raws that many liquids don't have a liquid density.

(Real water varies in density with temperature and pressure but not this much.)
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: September 09, 2018, 01:54:55 pm »

So, a trivial finding (in 43.03):

If you place digging designations on tree ramps, they're converted to "remove ramp/stairs" jobs by df.
You can't normally do that, expect unless you place them on unrevealed trees in caverns.
And on reveal, such designations won't be removed, and will be picked for jobs.

||

This erases the tree (almost as if cut by a ballista), leaving only the one-directional downramps behind.
These downramps are brown, because there is still digging designation on them (and in the center of former tree).

The tree I cut down was goblin-cap, but second set of left-over downramps are blue,

||

taking their colour from water 3z below.

The ramp tile my miner removed became the shale cavern floor.

Miner stood on the tree, though, so fell down into water. Luckily, that water has standing 0/7 water tile left behind by the tree disappearing.

||

Unluckily, the miner decided to pass the ramps in water, climb up, climb on a tunnel tube, and jump on a black-cap cap where they can't dig their way out of.

(Also, hm, seems imgur is downsampling the pngs. Quite visible in miner's eyes being off.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 01:57:32 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: September 09, 2018, 04:18:53 pm »

A recent one: A mayor was voted out in favor of a dwarf that came in an immigrant wave, who kept the position until he was finally killed by a werebeast. Another immigrant got it, and died in an invasion. Another got it, and was killed by a roc.
Original mayor was voted back in, and I finally got around to completely engraving his bedroom.
A vast majority of the engravings depicted him loosing his position as mayor the first time around.
Dwarven spite.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: September 09, 2018, 04:27:12 pm »

An old one, I think from early v34.x:
First siege in a new fortress. Quickly conscript a militia, one dwarf sprints out notably faster than the others, meets the leading goblin, immediately falls unconscious from blood loss.
Though the other militiadwarves eventually ran them off, he spent the next season in the hospital. Once he finally get up, he heads back to the barracks and refuses to do anything but train.
The next siege, he again sprints out far ahead of the others, meets a whole squad of gobbos, and swiftly reduces them to red smears and showers of teeth. They turn right back around and flee.
So I honor him by issuing him the best armor in the fortress and an artifact weapon, which he cancels picking up. 'Not enough hands'.
Turns out that in the first siege his blood loss was caused by getting both arms neatly lopped off at the shoulder. And his training had made him a legendary kicker.
So siege #2 had been routed by a single dwarf literally kicking so much goblin ass.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: September 10, 2018, 08:38:19 am »

An old one, I think from early v34.x:
First siege in a new fortress. Quickly conscript a militia, one dwarf sprints out notably faster than the others, meets the leading goblin, immediately falls unconscious from blood loss.
Though the other militiadwarves eventually ran them off, he spent the next season in the hospital. Once he finally get up, he heads back to the barracks and refuses to do anything but train.
The next siege, he again sprints out far ahead of the others, meets a whole squad of gobbos, and swiftly reduces them to red smears and showers of teeth. They turn right back around and flee.
So I honor him by issuing him the best armor in the fortress and an artifact weapon, which he cancels picking up. 'Not enough hands'.
Turns out that in the first siege his blood loss was caused by getting both arms neatly lopped off at the shoulder. And his training had made him a legendary kicker.
So siege #2 had been routed by a single dwarf literally kicking so much goblin ass.
heavy metal boots might pump him up though :D
*all the other kids with their pumped up kicks...*
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

PseudoLoneWolf

• Escaped Lunatic
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: September 10, 2018, 11:06:36 am »

Those boots damn well better menace with spikes of goblin bone.
Let slip the toast of war.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: September 10, 2018, 01:47:19 pm »

I've caught four badgers using a kitten surrounded by cage traps. The fifth badger ... started considering her options. It's just standing next to the kitten and the traps, sometimes making like a slow circle around them.
Is this just a coincidence or is it intended behavior when an animal sees another of its kind getting caught?
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: September 10, 2018, 01:50:02 pm »

Hm. Well, when I caught a bugbat in a cage earlier, the rest of them went back in the cavern - but didn't leave the map, and instead got pregnant and had children.

They wouldn't leave until I slaughtered the 'bat.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 148