Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 183982 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #780 on: April 14, 2015, 04:06:02 pm »

I want to play this.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 14, 2015, 04:06:18 pm »

The Campaign for North Africa

We should get a game going.
Hee~.  I've been interested in this game for years, but for various reasons, finding the game itself, much less other players, has been kinda sorta impossible for me.  If someone ran this, I would be so, so interested, even if only to say, "I played a World War 2 board game where logistics are tracked down to the pasta rations for Italian soldiers."

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 14, 2015, 04:08:46 pm »

Same. It doesn't look like it's even remotely fun to play, but still.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 14, 2015, 06:06:09 pm »

Consider: You could play 8 games of The Campaign for North Africa, or just about become a world-class musician.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 14, 2015, 06:10:51 pm »

I might have found a pdf, but it's from a super sketchy place. The websites that tell you if a website is safe say that it's clean. Wish me luck!
Edit: Nope. Redirects to sketchy website, which redirects to even sketchier website.
Edit 2: I found a fan update of the game here.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 06:19:50 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 14, 2015, 06:24:21 pm »

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:51:38 am by penguinofhonor »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 14, 2015, 06:33:38 pm »

Consider: You could play 8 games of The Campaign for North Africa, or just about become a world-class musician.

I think there are more world-class musicians than people who have played this game in its entirety, so in a way this is actually a more valuable use of time.
Yeah, I'm not so much saying "look at this better thing you could do with your time" because that's silly, so much as "look at how much sheer effort goes into this hobby".
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 15, 2015, 03:12:44 am »

It strikes me as something that might work batter as a computer game
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 15, 2015, 05:59:11 am »

Yeah, I would never touch that as a tabletop game. If somebody asked me to play it I would turn on the spot, walk right out through the door, and just keep walking. If somebody told me about a computar gaem that did the same thing I would think it was interesting.

Although if I played the tabletop game I would be able to do fun stuff like insist all soldiers get a cow to milk their own milk every morning (I might he persuaded to go down to one she-goat if space is an issue, or order horse charges against tanks and machine guns, or make my loyal cat into a commander.
Love, scriver~

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 15, 2015, 07:09:28 am »

War in the Pacific is sortof that.  It's kindof insane - you make all kinds of top-level decisions but also absurdly low-level ones like choosing which individual pilot flies each plane.  There are also some simulation errors that lead to weird outcomes like Japanese submarines being way better than they should be.

Interestingly you aren't judged on whether you win or not, but on how well you perform compared to the historical result.

e: also the AI is incredibly stupid, it frequently throws away bombers for no reason and also you can apparently wipe out a lot of the USN at Pearl Harbour due to how badly the AI handles it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:17:26 am by Leafsnail »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 15, 2015, 07:24:26 am »

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 07:52:42 am by penguinofhonor »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 15, 2015, 07:39:03 am »

Yeah, but it's a lot worse.  You basically get to perform an attack as strong as the historical Pearl Harbor one 3 or 4 times if you want.  In the LP I read of it the LPer intentionally withdrew after his initial assault just to make sure there would be some opposition in the first couple of years.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:41:21 am by Leafsnail »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 15, 2015, 08:23:03 am »

If I remember correctly, in real life the Japanese ships that attacked Pearl Harbour could only make a few sorties before they were forced to turn back to resupply. In War in the Pacific, it places the ships that participated in the attack right off of Pearl Harbour with full supplies/fuel, so you can pound Hawaii into dust at your leisure. Thankfully the AI isn't the greatest and so can't capitalize on this advantage very well (though it'll still probably get more kills than what historically happened), but against human players? Good luck.

I could be misremembering things though. For obvious reasons it's been months since I read the opening of a WitP LP...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 15, 2015, 08:36:33 am »

Yeah, I think that's right.  Also there's a pretty major exploit where you can't really tell your bombers what to target, so you can send in some random civilian ships to distract them from your actual combat guys (this works even in multiplayer).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 15, 2015, 09:23:07 am »

There were a couple different factors that made Pearl Harbor less devastating than it should have been. The Japanese flights broke off the attack before they strictly had to, none of the U.S. carriers were in port, and as you mentioned the Japanese fleet didn't magically appear at Pearl Harbor within shelling range of ships and facilities.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 131