Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 183981 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1035 on: June 08, 2015, 05:06:25 pm »

Just curious: how do some people come up with their character's back-stories?

My DM wants us to come up with stories for our characters, but I can't quite figure out how my character could have gotten to where he his.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: June 08, 2015, 05:51:37 pm »

My DM wants us to come up with stories for our characters, but I can't quite figure out how my character could have gotten to where he his.
One half character concept and one half asking yourself questions about the various things you've established already. Let's say you have a wizard. Why did he become a wizard? Why [something in the answer] is a thing? Change lines of thought - where he could be from? What was it like there? Eventually it sorta congeals into something coherent.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: June 08, 2015, 07:01:58 pm »

Eh, I have a vague idea, but the prestige class I'm going to be taking belongs to a group that only operates in few select places.

Another player plans to take a prestige class that never leaves their home country, and we are quite a ways away from it. Plus he doesn't really act within their tenants.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: June 08, 2015, 07:58:58 pm »

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:59:00 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: June 08, 2015, 08:12:56 pm »

Here's my process:

I decide, in crunch terms, the sort of character I want to play for the campaign, from anywhere as broad as "I want to into magic" to as narrow as "I want to be a perfectly optimized charger." Flip a coin for gender, roll dice for height/weight. Pick eye and hair color. Put all of that together into a general description. That's the broad strokes of the simple stuff out of the way.

Now, I figure out what my character's drive is -- what is the fundamental purpose of their life? Generally, I try to go for something that meshes with the crunch. From the combination of core goal and the roles they serve in the party, I derive personal characteristics. Then, I try to figure out how they got to where they are in life. Remember, stories will emerge naturally from realistic characters and their interactions.

Another way to go about it is to just build their backstory with a 5e sheet. It's got a really straightforward four-box framing device for characters which any half-competent RPer can easily translate into a more nuanced character.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: June 08, 2015, 09:41:01 pm »

My brother's barbarian got raped to death by a friend's spirit whale.

It was messy.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: June 08, 2015, 09:45:15 pm »

wat

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: June 08, 2015, 10:48:27 pm »

My brother's barbarian got raped to death by a friend's spirit whale.

It was messy.
Only in a pen and paper tabletop rpg, ladies and gents. Quality gameplay! Fun for the whole family!
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: June 09, 2015, 09:17:28 am »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: June 09, 2015, 01:27:31 pm »

Here's my process:

Mine is the direct opposite:
First up I've never played a woman in anything I've played. No idea why, but it's basically tradition now.
So I go - What do I want to play/What does this group need more of - that gets me my class.
Then I skip straight to the backstory. I throw a complication straight on the empty table and away we go.
Complications: He's an idiot/He's rash/He's pretentious/He's insane/He's uncompromisingly evil.
Put that in, and let that guide the stats you make for them. Chances are you can still minmax them pretty effectively whilst working around that.

After that you try to figure out WHY they have that particular character trait
Are they insane? Maybe something horrific happened to them or their family.
Are they stupid? Maybe they've lived a very sheltered life.

The GM usually gives you a reason for being there, so you just tweak the last year or so of your backstory to shunt in there as needed.

From there it's just filling in the little blanks with dramatic/funny stuff as needed and away you go.

My personal two triumphs would be:
The Xenophobic lizardman paladin I created for a high-rp game I played.
(Humans were spreading throughout his home swamp which would usually have been anathema to them, so he considers them some kind of highly-adaptable vermin)
- And a funny half-orc berserker who grew up with a very soft heart and lawful mindset, underneath a very evil and manipulative baron von father figure.
("Never fear! 'Tis the duty of the nobility to cull the peasantry", "But those humans are slaves! This is horrible! Humans make TERRIBLE slaves! Nobody likes minotaurs- use minotaurs!")
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 01:29:25 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: June 09, 2015, 04:11:26 pm »

Baron Von Father sounds like the name of a villain-that's-a-parent-figure-symbol in a kids movie.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: June 09, 2015, 05:06:29 pm »

I think I got my character figured out, but it's a bit difficult to validate the prestige class I want to take.

Not as bad as the cleric/rogue though. Prestige classing into a class that requires that the members' true identities are never known. Even more difficult is the fact that you aren't even supposed to be able to tell one member apart from another, yet he wants to make a name for himself. Hell, this class isn't even supposed to leave their home country without good reason, yet he has never even once set foot within its borders.

Plus his backstory is logically impossible to have occurred.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: June 09, 2015, 05:24:16 pm »

I think I got my character figured out, but it's a bit difficult to validate the prestige class I want to take.

Not as bad as the cleric/rogue though. Prestige classing into a class that requires that the members' true identities are never known. Even more difficult is the fact that you aren't even supposed to be able to tell one member apart from another, yet he wants to make a name for himself. Hell, this class isn't even supposed to leave their home country without good reason, yet he has never even once set foot within its borders.

Plus his backstory is logically impossible to have occurred.
That... sounds like a shoehorn either way you try to tackle that. I mean - outside of game mechanics, what in-character reason this character could possibly have in joining that particular organization? If the skills aren't fluffwise bound to active membership, you might make him a rogue member of whatever that is, whose ambitions made him leave or betray or whatevs the main, with proper consequences.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 131