Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 183983 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1740 on: July 22, 2016, 08:29:16 pm »

it's a fun way to spend a weeknight with friends.
People have had fun with FATAL. Saying you can have fun with friends isn't really a quality of the system, it's a quality of spending time with your friends.
One could make the case that FATAL players don't have friends, they have accomplices :P
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: July 22, 2016, 09:15:25 pm »

I would say some games require more or less effort expenditure.
On the scale of munchkin > Hybrid, Pathfinder is a weeknight.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: July 23, 2016, 08:19:21 am »

Wee knights poor knights.
Love, scriver~

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: July 24, 2016, 04:44:47 pm »

One could make the case that FATAL players don't have friends, they have accomplices :P
I mean, I wouldn't say there's such a thing as a dedicated FATAL player. But people have run fechts in it that were a good time in the same vein as watching a terrible movie.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: July 26, 2016, 06:29:34 am »

I mean, I wouldn't say there's such a thing as a dedicated FATAL player. But people have run fechts in it that were a good time in the same vein as watching a terrible movie.
There was at one point a dedicated FATAL forum. When that infamous review, and author rebuttal and review rebuttal happen, that community was buzzing bees for a bit.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: July 26, 2016, 10:36:31 pm »

There was at one point a dedicated FATAL forum.
I'm going to need a link to that.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: July 27, 2016, 01:04:46 pm »

Looking into hosting a PnP game for my friends. Not sure what system to use, really. I have a very little bit of experience with D&D 5e but that's basically it. None of my friends have any experience.

Any advice on what system to use and general advice? tfw you ask this in the middle of a FATAL discussion

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: July 27, 2016, 01:32:59 pm »

How serious do you want this session to be? How mechanically complex do you want the game to be?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: July 27, 2016, 01:40:57 pm »

Somewhat serious, but not very. We're all between 15 and 17 years old so I don't think being serious would work out. I'd also rather have it not be very mechanically complex since everybody is new.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: July 27, 2016, 01:53:30 pm »

Check out Apocalypse World or Monsterhearts, those are good for easy mechanics and a variable tone.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: July 27, 2016, 02:03:33 pm »

If you have experience with 5e and no objections to it, I'd say go 5e. Relatively simple system and pretty flexible, whilst not being so nebulous that new players lose themselves in the lack of direction. That and that there's a decent amount of free content for those who are both broke and more legally minded.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: July 27, 2016, 02:26:06 pm »

Yeah, 5e seems like the best option, considering I have easy access to some PDFs through other friends.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: July 27, 2016, 02:53:02 pm »

Kobolds ate my baby?
Oh wait, no drinking.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: July 27, 2016, 03:02:46 pm »

luckily the drinking age in belgium is 16 :D

Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 131