Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 441178 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Upbeat Giraffe - WE STABLE NOW
« Reply #360 on: January 31, 2015, 12:28:51 am »

To get past the first mission, I just abused the hell out of enemy aggro mechanics and pathfinding. I'd shoot a far away enemy with my bow, run away until the enemy stops chasing me, then repeat. I would also use terrain advantages like platforms that the enemies couldn't get to me at, and just slowly chip away at their health.
Again, why "bow"? Am I the only one lucky enough to find some Apex or human labs to loot guns from in the starting system?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 31, 2015, 12:51:05 am »

I found a crossbow on my desert planet, it gets four shots before my energy is depleted and it takes three to kill one of the stupid pink monsters, it is also slow as hell.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 31, 2015, 12:57:46 am »

If you can't be arsed doing the first mission just type /admin into the chatbox and you'll become invincible.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 31, 2015, 02:57:43 am »

stuff
Again, why "bow"? Am I the only one lucky enough to find some Apex or human labs to loot guns from in the starting system?
I certainly wasn't lucky enough.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 31, 2015, 03:20:42 am »

Speaking of "lucky", it seems someone took a look at the "weird item spawn rate" setting on one of the snow planets I found, and found it not set high enough.

So far I got a "Light Sword" - three of them in fact, two in the same surface chest - that is a sword of fire with 325 DPS. I'm still hunting for titanium at this point, so it's kinda overkill. I also found two different "light helmets" (Biolumin Mask and Light Helm), that is helmets that give the Glow effect. I then found a Blizzard Blaster - i.e. a snowball cannon, with actually decent stats.

And now I found this microdungeon.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All on the same snow planet. No cheats, no mods... what the fkuc.

edit: Okay, it seems they've kinda rebalanced the loot table. One more thing they've changed as part of that, that I absolutely approve of, is that high-tech chests (random or in lab dungeons) no longer exclusively give out blank tech cards. The cards from quests seemed useless before, because if you explored, you just randomly found so many of them. Now they give high-tech things like plasma guns instead, which is awesome.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 06:01:14 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 31, 2015, 08:32:54 am »

Speaking of "lucky", it seems someone took a look at the "weird item spawn rate" setting on one of the snow planets I found, and found it not set high enough.

So far I got a "Light Sword" - three of them in fact, two in the same surface chest - that is a sword of fire with 325 DPS. I'm still hunting for titanium at this point, so it's kinda overkill. I also found two different "light helmets" (Biolumin Mask and Light Helm), that is helmets that give the Glow effect. I then found a Blizzard Blaster - i.e. a snowball cannon, with actually decent stats.

edit: Okay, it seems they've kinda rebalanced the loot table. One more thing they've changed as part of that, that I absolutely approve of, is that high-tech chests (random or in lab dungeons) no longer exclusively give out blank tech cards. The cards from quests seemed useless before, because if you explored, you just randomly found so many of them. Now they give high-tech things like plasma guns instead, which is awesome.

...coordinates? :D

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 31, 2015, 08:57:38 am »

...coordinates? :D
I do believe loot is randomized, even if you get the same terrain and chests in the same places.

But here you go, check it out if you want:

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 31, 2015, 09:26:30 am »

I haven't played Starbound for quite a while - do all characters actually start on the same planet?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 31, 2015, 09:36:36 am »

I haven't played Starbound for quite a while - do all characters actually start on the same planet?
It would seem like it.
I consider it to be a tutorial planet of sorts.
But yeah.. They could have randomized it a little.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 31, 2015, 09:42:44 am »

A single planet is designated as a "starting" planet, because a single system is designated as a "starting" system. Even if they have a nigh-limitless universe to work in, they still have to ensure that the system has all the quest-required planet types.
It's probably easy to do in principle, checking for planet types in random "gentle star" systems around the map and settling on one that fits eventually, but maybe they think it'll cause a slowdown, or some other problem? The game's still being worked on though - maybe if it's requested enough they'll add it?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #370 on: January 31, 2015, 10:08:18 am »

The game's still being worked on though - maybe if it's requested enough they'll add it?

Bwaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha *gasp* hahahahahahahahaaaaa....

*ahem*

Sorry. What I mean to say was, yes, I'm sure that if we politely suggest improvements to the game, the Chucklefish team will be happy to make them. *chortle*

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 31, 2015, 10:11:26 am »

The game's still being worked on though - maybe if it's requested enough they'll add it?

Bwaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha *gasp* hahahahahahahahaaaaa....

*ahem*

Sorry. What I mean to say was, yes, I'm sure that if we politely suggest improvements to the game, the Chucklefish team will be happy to make them. *chortle*
Heh, yes. :P

I meant, hypothetically. It could happen.

And like I said, it's not terribly hard in the first place, and the current way introduces some gameplay oddities (i.e. you might render the game unwinnable - or rather unstartable - for follow-up characters in the same universe), so maybe they have it in the plans regardless, and just keep it like it is now because it's simpler.

And come on, they do listen to some people. We don't have to convince Chucklefish, we have to convince the people they listen to. :P

In the meantime, you could force a new character to start on a new planet (probably) by deleting the starting planet's file from the universe folder. You have to keep track of which file it is though. And take care not to delete it if you still have it as any other character's home planet.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:14:42 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 31, 2015, 10:15:41 am »

Does the new stable update include ship upgrades?
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 31, 2015, 10:31:48 am »

Does the new stable update include ship upgrades?
Yes. Wired into the game progression and quests.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 31, 2015, 10:40:54 am »

Man, I wish I knew more about modding. I'd make a mod that allows you to break old gear down for pixels.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 130