Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 439256 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Upbeat Giraffe - WE STABLE NOW
« Reply #345 on: January 29, 2015, 07:03:22 pm »

Going by how it works in vanilla, all your currently placed blocks/items remain exactly where they are when you upgrade your ship, so presumably it's simply a matter of overwriting the additions as well as the starting ship.

Has anyone been packing up everything on their ship in fear of it getting wiped when they upgrade?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 29, 2015, 07:12:01 pm »

Going by how it works in vanilla, all your currently placed blocks/items remain exactly where they are when you upgrade your ship, so presumably it's simply a matter of overwriting the additions as well as the starting ship.

Has anyone been packing up everything on their ship in fear of it getting wiped when they upgrade?

I thought about it, but figured I'd risk it anyway.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 29, 2015, 07:14:44 pm »

Using an exploit of the mission structure, I made it to the boss very quickly, then proceeded to die, very quickly.  Respawned on ship lighter by 30% of my pixels, again.  This is poorly conceived.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 29, 2015, 07:45:17 pm »

It took me a bit to learn how to deal with the boss, bring 50 or so bandages, ignore all regular enemies, run to each switch then to the gun platform. While don't constantly avoid the beams, try not to stay in it. Its just hit all 4 switches then hit the turret x3, then the boss is dead.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 29, 2015, 08:17:23 pm »

Hmm. The one thing I dislike is that the tech progression is tied to ship upgrades. As far as I can tell, that means that Build-Yer-Own-Ship mods will make it impossible for players to gain new techs, except perhaps if the unlocks persist after installing the mod and taking apart the default ship... in which case you 'only' have to progress through much of the game before adding the mod.

Yeah, I strongly suspected this would be the case when it was all being talked about but I hoped I was wrong. I guess I'll just continue avoiding the game for another several months then, until someone figures out a less irritating way of doing things.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 29, 2015, 08:21:55 pm »

Why would that create a problem? The ship upgrades are handled entirely through the ship's computer, which is accessed from the same piece of furniture as the tech station. Since it's handled as a quest, and does not in any way require you to actually use the new space unlocked by ship upgrades, presumably the quests to "bring X materials to upgrade the ship" would still work. They'd just not actually change the background, since the mod would overwrite that.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 29, 2015, 10:30:46 pm »

This thread title's been driving me bananas for the last month, since years of internet has trained me to pick out "U_b__ Giraffe".

Spoiler: Why?! (click to show/hide)

I don't really have anything constructive to say, though. Game looks pretty neat.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 30, 2015, 09:43:59 am »

Hmm. The one thing I dislike is that the tech progression is tied to ship upgrades. As far as I can tell, that means that Build-Yer-Own-Ship mods will make it impossible for players to gain new techs, except perhaps if the unlocks persist after installing the mod and taking apart the default ship... in which case you 'only' have to progress through much of the game before adding the mod.

Yeah, I strongly suspected this would be the case when it was all being talked about but I hoped I was wrong. I guess I'll just continue avoiding the game for another several months then, until someone figures out a less irritating way of doing things.
Why would that create a problem? The ship upgrades are handled entirely through the ship's computer, which is accessed from the same piece of furniture as the tech station. Since it's handled as a quest, and does not in any way require you to actually use the new space unlocked by ship upgrades, presumably the quests to "bring X materials to upgrade the ship" would still work. They'd just not actually change the background, since the mod would overwrite that.

I'm pretty sure I was overreacting last night, now that I've given it more thought. The guy behind the best of the BYOS mods also seemed fairly certain that he could work around it without resorting to starting with everything unlocked.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 30, 2015, 11:38:47 am »

Nope, not doing this, if I wanted to play a Nintendo hard platformer I'd play one.  Give me the gods be damned space sandbox game you sold me you jerks.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 30, 2015, 12:30:57 pm »

Nope, not doing this, if I wanted to play a Nintendo hard platformer I'd play one.  Give me the gods be damned space sandbox game you sold me you jerks.
One word: mods. I have zero doubt that there will be a mod to remove the shielded dungeons feature, which means that you'll be free to mine straight through everything if you so desire.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 30, 2015, 12:35:49 pm »

One word: mods. I have zero doubt that there will be a mod to remove the shielded dungeons feature, which means that you'll be free to mine straight through everything if you so desire.
Cue Chucklefish banning the mods from "affecting the intended progression of the game" or doing something of this kind.
._.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #356 on: January 30, 2015, 01:13:51 pm »

Am I the only one who didn't mind the FTL quest?

It's admittedly much better in multiplayer, but I found it thematic, cool, and challenging without being too hard (and I'm not exactly a fan of nintendo-hard games).

Alright, to be fair, it is much easier in multiplayer because, so long as the entire party doesn't die, the instance doesn't reset and you can keep popping into the boss fight until it explodes.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 30, 2015, 01:25:47 pm »

Hehe, after saying how I found the first mission easy, I went ahead and died to the boss with the new stable version character. Got careless. :P
So, different tip - if you do end up with a two-hander to block attacks, don't use it unless you really need to. Don't rely on it, in other words. With the cooldown, you might not be able to bring it back up in time. Get the boss blown up tout de suite, and pay no attention to anything except your health.

Went right back in after losing, mind you, despite having only 10 bandages left as healing items (and no food). Won handily. So it's not terribly hard at all.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 30, 2015, 08:55:18 pm »

I love that you have to go all the way across a star system to make some dude a cup of coffee to progress.

Is there a way to get milk other than buying it?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:57:44 pm by freeformschooler »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 30, 2015, 10:15:06 pm »

To get past the first mission, I just abused the hell out of enemy aggro mechanics and pathfinding. I'd shoot a far away enemy with my bow, run away until the enemy stops chasing me, then repeat. I would also use terrain advantages like platforms that the enemies couldn't get to me at, and just slowly chip away at their health.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 130