Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 440989 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #870 on: March 11, 2016, 05:32:13 pm »

It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: March 11, 2016, 08:29:37 pm »

Trade your pokemans right here.

Oh good, I've been looking for someone to exchange my Pocketchu with. Hopefully I'll be able to get a Jigglypoof.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: March 11, 2016, 09:37:05 pm »

When I read people saying things like "I won't buy games from x publisher" all I really hear are justifications for piracy. I am pretty pissed at Stardock for the double bone heads of Demigod and that one fantasy 4x, but I am willing to accept that some day they will put out a good game. But I won't ever preorder one.

It was pretty obvious Starboard wouldn't live up to expectations. Hell, people even complain that Terreria didn't deliver. A small part of the disappointment is on you. Chuckle fish sold the hype but you still bought it.
Better get your ears checked, just because someone refuses to buy anything from a publisher doesn't mean its because they want to pirate it.

For example, i refuse to buy ubisoft games because of uplay, performance, dlc loading, but most of all i just don't find their games any fun. I wouldn't play the assassins creed games even if i got them for free, i played one ages ago and have no interest in playing the same shit over and over again.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 09:40:03 pm by Mattk50 »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: March 11, 2016, 10:33:52 pm »

When I read people saying things like "I won't buy games from x publisher" all I really hear are justifications for piracy. I am pretty pissed at Stardock for the double bone heads of Demigod and that one fantasy 4x, but I am willing to accept that some day they will put out a good game. But I won't ever preorder one.

It was pretty obvious Starboard wouldn't live up to expectations. Hell, people even complain that Terreria didn't deliver. A small part of the disappointment is on you. Chuckle fish sold the hype but you still bought it.
Better get your ears checked, just because someone refuses to buy anything from a publisher doesn't mean its because they want to pirate it.

For example, i refuse to buy ubisoft games because of uplay, performance, dlc loading, but most of all i just don't find their games any fun. I wouldn't play the assassins creed games even if i got them for free, i played one ages ago and have no interest in playing the same shit over and over again.

I feel the same way about Ubisoft, but let's stop arguing about the moral reasons for buying or not buying Stardew Valley in the Starbound thread.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: March 11, 2016, 10:57:11 pm »

Poisoning children ~= failing to live up to expectations of an in-house game.

No, they are equivalents. Albeit on different levels.

They poisoned their own dang well and now they have to drink from it.

Why make excuses and put blame onto the consumers because CF messed up? Because otherwise it might mean actions have consequences? OHH NO!

I know we live in a world where people are so used to being screwed over, or knowing others are being screwed over, by corps that it feels like a fact of life. Yet frankly NO, it is still not and never will be acceptable no matter how prolific.  If a company loses the trust or goodwill of its consumer base it isn't the consumer base's fault.

Don't become a corporate apologist.
Neonivek, you finally made a post which I both understand and agree with to the greatest possible extent. :))

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: March 12, 2016, 12:14:43 am »

-Removed, sorry for derailing-
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 01:23:26 am by jocan2003 »
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: March 12, 2016, 12:34:06 am »

There was a time where employee could keep their spine and not fear to be fired and respected for their opinion, now? Population lives in constant fear, fear of not being able to pay X-Y-Z, fear of loosing their job, fear of authority to not get in jail ( This one can be understood to some extent ). Everybody around me is telling me, lay-low, suhtup, take it in the ... because thats how life is. I am sorry i simply cannot, it enrage me to see where the society is heading, be it in real life, politics, games, corporation plans and all that.

My apologies, but might I ask when precisely this time was?  I'd say that things like whistleblower protection, even unevenly-enforced, help make this one of the most liberal eras as far as free labour is concerned.  Company towns, truck systems, guilds, bonded labour, and the like were bounds worse than much of unfree labour that people would see in the First World today.  Certainly, you may not have been *fired* for expressing your opinion, but if you weren't, that may be because that would have been too kind an ending.  The fact that at-will employment is today contrasted with the idea of requiring a just-cause dismissal, instead of taken as the norm, should be considered at the least a positive step.  As for loyalty to your "team" in more trivial senses, such as video games or sports, well, you may see soccer hooliganism today, but the Blues and Greens of Constantinople would see your worst Edinburgh hooligan as some penny-ante dilettante.  People make excuses through words about a video game company being "not so bad" in spite of their past failures?  People have not only argued, but outright fought lethal duels over things ranging from the spelling of a Greek word to their choice of hats to games of billiards.  I mean, I'm not saying I completely disagree with you, but I'd suggest that the answer to your problems does not lie in some mythical bygone Arcadia.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: March 12, 2016, 12:47:54 am »

Just a thought, but perhaps you should start a separate thread in general discussion? This derail has gone on for long enough.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: March 12, 2016, 12:48:16 am »

And if I don't trust the company in charge of the product, then I'll be a bit more careful with my purchase. (Just in general more consideration before purchase)

Times like this I wish I could make a Satire without being a total jerk :S
As in a satire of my post?
I personally think it'd be worse to just say this over posting the satire.

But I stand by what I said. I don't let the company factor into my decision. (unless it's doing something very abhorrent, like funding wars in the middle east/etc.). I just care about the product. The only real way the company selling it matters is how much I can trust their word on the product. I may not trust them and get information from other sources, but if those other sources indicate the product is good, I'd happily buy it.

snippity snap
cuttity cut
I really think you're both reading into this a bit much.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: March 12, 2016, 12:54:01 am »

Actually, I've attempted to avoid discussion of the more general point, and I'm not reading my comments into anything other than that which I explicitly quoted; I just don't like jocan misrepresenting history to suit any particular ends.  That said, Glloyd's quite right, as it is not precisely germane to anything beyond the point so quoted. 

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: March 12, 2016, 01:25:48 am »

Just a thought, but perhaps you should start a separate thread in general discussion? This derail has gone on for long enough.

It isn't so much a derail as it is people intentionally avoiding talking about Starbound mostly because no one has anything nice to say and those that do only have a tepid "could be worse" sort of thing to say.

Hate versus the Lukewarm.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: March 12, 2016, 01:36:34 am »

It isn't so much a derail as it is people intentionally avoiding talking about Starbound mostly because no one has anything nice to say and those that do only have a tepid "could be worse" sort of thing to say.

I'd say intentionally avoiding talking about the specific subject of the thread counts as a derail.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: March 12, 2016, 01:42:12 am »

It's not because there aren't any nice things to say about Starbound. There are plenty, the game got a great performance increase in the nightly, the new quest progression is promising, the content keeps expanding, etc. I was digging down into the core of my starting planet recently, and at one point I could've sworn I was playing Terraria, because I dug into an underground Ice biome, fell into a pool of tar, and had to fend off a constant assault by flying and wall-crawling enemies as I tried to get some torches up to bloody see more than two feet around my character and maybe effect an escape. It's going in the right direction, and it doesn't even have its main story missions working yet.

It's mostly because all of those good things will be dismissed by all the hatemongers in the thread, so there isn't any point mentioning them. The game is improving and looking to be quite interesting at launch, but all you people care about is what was promised and how CF handled its PR, which does not affect the final game whatsoever in my opinion. >_>

(it almost feels like we need a rephrase of the old saying about books and covers. "Don't judge a game by its company." :P)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 01:43:45 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: March 12, 2016, 03:09:26 am »

Starbound needs to be finished and released just so the post-mortems we do every 3 months or so become actual post-mortems, so derails and the semestral (or so?) descent of the Great Toad on the thread becomes a thing of the past.  :P
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Beggars` Sect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: March 12, 2016, 04:04:42 am »

but all you people care about is what was promised
Aaand...you are surprised by that?

Complaining that "haters" are ruining the day is not really a cop-out here - these dishonest companies have to be held accountable or else their shady practices will be copied and repeated elsewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 130