Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 130

Author Topic: Starbound - Caveat emptor  (Read 439261 times)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - Caveat emptor
« Reply #885 on: March 12, 2016, 06:26:01 am »

Hm...this seems to be masters of orion 3 level of hatred. ::)
The game didn't live up to the hype that surrounded it, not sure what else needs to be said regarding it...unless some people enjoy marching around with pitchforks and torches.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 12, 2016, 11:00:59 am »

My only point was that Chucklefish misappropriated funds(which they most certainly did).  To me that's a boycott worthy offense.  I would give them the benefit of the doubt if they went back to the original point process and roadmap which they initially sold the game on(to me, any original backers, and most Early Access buyers before these things were removed), but they, very vocally I might add, aren't doing that.  If they wanted to start publishing they should have been up front with that from the get go, instead of trying the "it's better to quell all dissent instead of ask permission" mentality to things.

They misappropriated funds people spent for the development of Starbound.  I cannot stress that enough.  THEY MISAPPROPRIATED FUNDS PEOPLE SPENT FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF STARBOUND.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 12, 2016, 12:06:36 pm »

unless some people enjoy marching around with pitchforks and torches.

I mean, yeah. CF is an easy target, with a mix of honest mistakes and outright ugly ones.

For me, Starbound and CF are kind of an interesting case study in game development. What went wrong, and when? What can you determine as a consumer looking in? What choices did CF, and how did they present them, to either excite or incite the community? CF is on the one hand lucky to have gotten a boost from the crowdfunding boom, but on the other hand has gotten hit hard by the increasingly critical response to over-promising crowd-funding campaigns.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 12, 2016, 12:17:10 pm »

Weren't Chucklefish in publishing since before Starbound? They published Wanderlust: Rebirth in 2011, almost a year before announcing Starbound. I wasn't following the drama around that time much (I'm not a fan of drama in general), so I've no idea about misappropriated funds; care to summarize?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 12, 2016, 02:11:04 pm »

For me its a ok game. Nothing special and alos nothing terrible

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 12, 2016, 07:45:09 pm »

Weren't Chucklefish in publishing since before Starbound? They published Wanderlust: Rebirth in 2011, almost a year before announcing Starbound. I wasn't following the drama around that time much (I'm not a fan of drama in general), so I've no idea about misappropriated funds; care to summarize?

Early access, alphafunding, or paid-alpha is a funding model in the video game industry by which consumers can pay for a game in the early stages of development and obtain access to playable but unfinished versions of the game, while the developer is able to use those funds to continue work on the game. Those that pay to participate typically help to debug game, provide feedback and suggestions, and may have access to special materials upon release of the game. The early access approach is a common way to obtain funding for indie games and may also be used along other funding mechanisms including crowdfunding.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_access

The crowdfunding model is based on three types of actors: the project initiator who proposes the idea and/or project to be funded; individuals or groups who support the idea; and a moderating organization (the "platform") that brings the parties together to launch the idea .[3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdfunding

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/misappropriate?s=t

For reference, here's an archived copy of their initial crowdfunding/pre-order FAQ:
http://web.archive.org/web/20140210172954/http://playstarbound.com/store/faq.php

No where in there does it state funds will be provided toward publishing, and the Early Access Model clearly outlines that funds go toward that game to ensure continued development.  When funding goes other directions except the ones stated when you made your proposal, that's a misappropriation of funds.

Then there's: http://i.imgur.com/2mvZjij.jpg, where Moly again states exactly where our funds were supposed to go, and claiming that they'd always happily refund people.  And here she is contradicting the refund claim: https://i.imgur.com/IkxDf8r.png?1.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 12, 2016, 11:13:09 pm »

This thread is stuck in a cycle of perpetuity. Every 10 pages or so it just repeats itself ceaselessly.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: March 12, 2016, 11:27:07 pm »

Screw it, rebuttal removed. This conversation is about as useful as headbutting brick walls.

If only SMF allowed removing threads from the "new replies" page, I wouldn't get the urge to check this thread on every update.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: March 12, 2016, 11:57:39 pm »

We could always just keep saying the same thing over and over.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 13, 2016, 12:06:01 am »

You could always just wait for Starbound to release some official update/full release of their game before checking back. That's mainly what I've been waiting for, avoiding getting involved in conversation here for the most part.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: March 13, 2016, 08:37:56 pm »

This thread is stuck in a cycle of perpetuity. Every 10 pages or so it just repeats itself ceaselessly.

I find the thread more entertaining than the game, myself.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 14, 2016, 07:07:21 pm »

You could always just wait for Starbound to release some official update/full release of their game before checking back. That's mainly what I've been waiting for, avoiding getting involved in conversation here for the most part.
Or we could always just keep saying the same thing over and over.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: March 14, 2016, 07:22:27 pm »

This thread is stuck in a cycle of perpetuity. Every 10 posts or so it just repeats itself ceaselessly.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 14, 2016, 07:31:58 pm »

I find the thread more entertaining than the game, myself.
Or we could always just keep saying the same thing over and over.
Just a thought, but perhaps you should start a separate thread in general discussion? This derail has gone on for long enough.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 14, 2016, 07:33:28 pm »

This thread is stuck in a cycle of perpetuity. Every 10 posts or so it just repeats itself ceaselessly.

The cycles are getting shorter! Soon they will beginn to repeat themselves before they have finished.
Causality will be shattered, reality will devour itself.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 130